Large Fire At Nottingham University

Confined I think to one construction, the GSK Building which was a largely wooden science block and not opened as yet.

The buildings on Jubilee Campus tend to stand isolated from each other so I'd imagine the fire wouldn't spread easily to other buildings.

Apparently the fire started at around 8.45pm. It's doubtful if there would have been anyone in the building, especially it's not operational as yet as far as I know.

My habit of taking photos of anything has paid off.

Apparently it was the building which was under construction but not yet finished, and this is how it looked in July.

Wooden construction may be very eco-friendly, but it has one obvious disadvantage. Look at the amount of the stuff here.

wood2.jpg

wood1.jpg

It now looks different.

• Upvote 1

Even brick and concrete structures get severely damages by heat from a fire and normally have to be demolished. There are ways of making wood fire resistant.

Most dwellings and schools over here are of "stick" construction, it's easier to keep the interiors cool in summer and heat in winter. Also stands up better in earthquakes.

Doesn't fair any better in tornadoes though, but before anyone says anything, even concrete doesn't stand up too well to tornadoes. The hospital in Joplin was moved off it's foundations and several walls collapapsed when hit a few years ago. Another brick built school with tons of steel, supposedly tornado resistant, collapsed in a tornado killing loads of kids and teachers.

As a qualified Fire Investigate, I would say from Cliff's images, a perfect fuel.air ratio.

Only ever seen a fire with a better fuel/air ratio, that was some years ago, when Several Thousand stacked Pallets were set on fire at Castle Donnington.

Thank god there were no fatalities or casualties, looks like the fire took hold very quickly. GREEN does not always pay!

Smell of smoke at work (QMC) today, told to keep all windows closed, air con was turned off to reduce smoke smell. It was starting to get a bit warm when I finished my shift at 1-30 PM. Could see the smoking remains from the ward window.

Do wooden houses have any problems getting house insurance?

Not over here Steve, one thing insurance companies don't like now, wood shingle roofs, puts the premiums up. Most houses stateside are wood.

Was the same in Australia too, although brick vaneer was starting to take off big time down there in the 80's, thats a "stick" built house with a single brick wall exterior tied to the studs.

There's a fair few "rock" houses around where I live. They have rock outer walls, a dead art today..

Yes I believe they do. We looked at a lovely bungalow just recently and it was "non standard construction" (ie wood) which meant it was going to be difficult to get a mortgage even never mind insurance.

Here is a video from my dash cam taken lest Tuesday showing Triumph Road from HA Fox to Ilkeston Road

I can see from this, the origin of the Trainee 'Vandal Architects' of Nottingham.

Set up for future desecration of our fine city!

• 4 weeks later...