What Old TV Show Would You Like To See Return?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do watch old comedy shows if I happen to fall upon them but don't look at the TV guide and to be honest I don't watch a lot of TV ....... .I listen to it but look at Nottstalgia on my iPad screen. My

I enjoyed the recent rerun of The Likely Lads, I think a bit of us all in there somewhere.

With "Sunday Night At The Palladium" being resurrected tonight I wondered if there's a tv show from the past that you would like to see grace our screens again?

Loved the likely lads, also Fools and Horses, could watch every episode again and again, even though I've probably seen them several times already.

Classic quality English comedy at it's best.

Only just been watching a re-run of Frost here in oz with the wonderful David Jason.

What I never want to see come back Follyfoot, and that dreadful 'Lightning tree' song

I'd rather spend a half hour listening to 'Small World' @ Disneyland...

Here's some torture for you

Mental Health Warning...

Enjoy!

Bottom.

The young ones.

The Harry Enfield sketches: Kevin, Wibbly Wobbly old Ladies, Stavros ect.

Benny Hill. (was on every night on PBS channel 2 Miami when I was in America)

The Comedians. (my favourite: Ken Goodwin)

Muffin the mule (can you go to prison for that?)

Don't bring any of them back, most of the programmes mentioned are part of our childhood and adolescent memories and should stay that way, besides there are enough TV channels about re-showing the old stuff, some of which is embarrassingly awful. Take Terry and June for instance, it was utterly unfunny at the time, watch it now and you wonder how it ever got made in the first place, it's unbelievably crap.

Jack Hargreaves........... Out of Town, Old Country, Gone Fishing and How.......... all good memories of my childhood

The only problem is Jack has long gone, and the programs fronted by someone else, would not be the same..

#32 firbeck.......Terry and June............was always crap

#33 cliff ton.......on the buses................was so bad you had to laugh....... :biggrin:

#32 firbeck.......Terry and June............was always crap

#33 cliff ton.......on the buses................was so bad you had to laugh....... :biggrin:

A lot depends on your idea of comedy, but like you I never liked them :)

• Upvote 1

A lot depends on your idea of comedy :)

True. I like things like Bottom & The Young Ones: slapstick non subtle comedy, or as SWMBO calls it "idiotic brainless comedy." She likes things like Coronation Street & Eastenders that I can't stand. Can't all be the same can we? :)

• Upvote 1

Been watching "In The Heat of The Night" the last couple of nights.

Well at least there is a choice ! This is one of the listings from the Evening Post in August 1950 when there was only one channel .

Don't remember much as I would only have been one and bit then and not entirely sure when we got our TV but do remember we had one for the Coronation in '53 .

This listing doesn't even have to say it was the BBC as there was no other ! No kids progs , 2 hours of cricket at peak teas time , (maybe instead of kids programmes ?).

News at 10pm and , no pictures ? sound only and then zilch !

The listings below for rediffusion , was that piped in , don't think we had it but seem to remember some people having some sort of box on the wall ?

15103205320_c4b1f2b887_o.jpg

Actually the cricket seems to have been a bonus , as on this listing from April 1950 after 4.20pm in the afternoon , looks like TV closed down until 8,30 pm !

15103512588_22981c545f_o.jpg

Regarding Rediffusion, I'm sure many people will remember it. It was literally an earlier form of cable TV (and radio). A wire was attached to the side of the house - I suspect they ran telephone wire style rather than underground - and it came through the wall to a box, as you say, with a dial on it, then to the TV, which was a special Rediffusion set as you changed the channels by using the dial on the little box on the wall rather than on the TV itself which had no such control.

We had one in the late 1960s/early 1970s, and all three (!) channels were on it, along with the four BBC radio channels (which obviously you listened to on the TV). Can't remember if Radio Nottingham was included. The advantage was that you didn't need an aerial on the house - I seem to think the central Rediffusion aerial for the system was at Colwick Woods, but I'm not sure.

Depending on the location of the dial in the room it was like a form of remote control, as if your armchair was next to it you could change channels without getting up and going to the TV, as we all otherwise had to do in those days!

You paid a subscription to Rediffusion for the service (including the TV set). At the place we lived previously we didn't have the Rediffusion service, but as they had one of their junction boxes on our house they paid us a rent for that - something minimal like a shilling a year.

The cable was a multi core with amplifiers along the route, used to be fastened to the outside walls of houses, I think they paid 5 shillings a year to each property owner as rent for the cable crossing their house.

Todays cable uses multi frequencies for the many different channels and has to be RF sealed against RF leakage which could cause problems to private radio communications.

Most are starting to change over to fibre optics.

When I first got licensed as a ham, a neighbour a few doors up came knocking on my door complaining I was getting into her tv.. I suspected corrosion on her antenna and offered to check it out, turns out she only had cable, so I told her to contact the cable company and tell them the problem as it was obvious she had a "leaking" cable termination to her house.

She kept threatening me with a complaint to the FCC, our licensing authority, no matter what I said or offered to do for her, she turned me down and kept threatening, so I said I'd help her write out the complaint...LOL

I knew my station was squeaky clean as I wasn't causing problems with anything in my house.

I think sometimes that series go on for too long and the writers have difficulty in keeping the audience's interest. One that springs to mind is a comedy series that I loved watching but after continuous series I think it lost the comedy that was found originally. I'm talking about "Only Fools & Horses" which I thought was great but eventually I lost interest.

Fools and Horses' in my opinion was the best beyond compare,and i think if it was not for the sad early death of writer 'John Sullivan' more would have been made.

• Upvote 1