Canal at Wollaton

When I lived in Stapleford there was a local hill called 'Cardboard Hill' as it was used by local kids sliding down on whatever they could get their hands on - often flattened cardboard boxes from the Co-op :)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A composite of images from Britain from Above which shows the canal near Wollaton and many of the places mentioned in the thread. The light-coloured road at an angle on the right is Russell Drive; the

Here are my memories of the Wollaton section of the Nottingham Canal set to verse. WOLLATON CANAL From Woodyard Lane it was seen both ways To the east was Radford, where Lime trees sway. And to

Try and get hold of Nottingham Canal A History and Guide by Bernard Chell. ISBN 0-7524-3759-3. There is at least one copy in Nottinghamshire libraries. I vaguely remember the bit on Radford Bridg

No license or permit needed to fish Martins pond when I was a lad.

Can anyone identify lock 16 on CT's brilliant picture? It was near a bridge and wide below the lock and had an overflow channel. There was a high wall on the towpath side.

I remember going with my dad to fish in the Raleigh pond. Is that what used to be called "Martins Pond"?

I also used to confuse the two. I "discovered" Raleigh pond in around 1958 when I was 8 and playing around the old canal as I did frequently around that time.

A couple of years later one of my Beechdale school pals explained that Martin's pond was closer to Wollaton village but I never got to visit it until 2013 when I did the walk described in the link.

I was never into fishing but I'm sure I would have found it much sooner if I had been.

• 2 weeks later...

Aagh! Raleigh Pond. When my kids were about 15 I had a small pond in my garden which I just used for wild life. I had loads of different kinds of newt but no frogs. One day my youngest mentioned loads of frogs at Raleigh Pond. So I asked him to get me a couple next time he went. He got me a couple all right. Two huge Sketchley carrier bags full. I made him take them back.

If you drive along Torville Drive, you come to where the canal was and the pound between locks 15 and 16 has been preserved as a sitting area (a bit overgrown last time I looked). Old Coach Road passed over at this point and I remember the fishing contests at that very place in the late fifties when the Bailiffs used to patrol all the time. Later, in the early sixties when it was all drying up we used to get nice and muddy down there. Happy Days (that is until I got a clout off mum for coming home all smelly).

• 4 months later...

It's probably all there under all the infill. Other remnants are the narrowing where the canal (now the Leen) went under Abbey Street, the bridge at Derby Road, the boatmen's pump neat Derby Road and the pound between locks 15 and 16 near where Old Coach Road crossed. Once the location for fishing contests, it has been retained as a sitting area but not very well maintained.

• 4 years later...

Nice evocative picture Trogg. Wide beam, pulled by one little horse. Don't know where you find them but thank you.

CT., will you be posting your aerial photo?

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2014 at 7:32 PM, The Pianoman said:

I have mentioned this before but my Grandfather was Master Carpenter on the Nottingham Canal. He lived at No2 Radford Bridge Road which was I now believe to have been directly to the rear of the Crown Inn. I am always on the look out for more info on the subject.

Was there  a Crown Yard with living accommodation behind in the area?

• 1 month later...

Wollaton Pit was where the Torvill and Dean Housing Estate is now, behind Waitrose.

To the rear of Waitrose (formerley CO-OP) along the line of Torvill drive, which roughly folows the line of the old Nottingham Canal, across to the railway line.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9572434,-1.2253458,488m/data=!3m1!1e3

MDItTvQ.png

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Fancy having to say you live on the Torvill and Dean estate. Makes you cringe! :biggrin:

22 minutes ago, Stuart.C said:

I think I'd opt for Behind Waitrose as a description.       I've nothing against T&D or what they've done for the City, but.

It's almost as bad as the various roads in North Nottm towns which are named Scargill Close/Road/Walk etc.

Ah., I'd forgotten Waitrose is no more, plus they cancelled Edwalton.

It's going to have to be behind where Waitrose was, you know where Co-op used to be.

Yes, to be Lidl later this year, plus a few smaller shops, (up to 7) subject to the Covid effect.

It's going to be all change with a lot of shops and businesses this year and longer.

xmFRCk8.jpg

You’ve got to come to Newark for a big Waitrose now. It’s our nearest large supermarket but it’s still a 20 mile round trip. I use it for fuel as you can pay at the pump. When I was filling up the mower petrol cans last week I noticed there was a 100 yard queue for the store. We can manage with our weekly Morrison’s delivery plus visits to nearby Fiskerton shop and Gonalston farm shop. Their local produced beef we had on Sunday was superb.