Canal at Wollaton

Eh Phil., yer  allus welcome at our Waitrose in Lewes. Ample parking etc. There's even room to sit outside to sell "The Big Issue".

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A composite of images from Britain from Above which shows the canal near Wollaton and many of the places mentioned in the thread. The light-coloured road at an angle on the right is Russell Drive; the

Here are my memories of the Wollaton section of the Nottingham Canal set to verse. WOLLATON CANAL From Woodyard Lane it was seen both ways To the east was Radford, where Lime trees sway. And to

Try and get hold of Nottingham Canal A History and Guide by Bernard Chell. ISBN 0-7524-3759-3. There is at least one copy in Nottinghamshire libraries. I vaguely remember the bit on Radford Bridg

This link about the Nottingham Canal was posted by Notty Ash as a general thread, but much of the text and photos refer to the Wollaton section of the canal. I've just finished reading it and learned a lot.

http://www.gwoodward.co.uk/nottinghamcanal.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0_JP4CQ3sUj1-fKzhaAC_N1VkJZkmHu1aIhWAtmPVErgIGzrVzmBEA0Xc

• Like 2

Just inside doors of Westhay Court on Radford Bridge Road there is a massive picture think it’s dated 1925 of the canal looking towards Crown Island, which I believe Westhay Court, with its location could have been built on? 

https://www.accentgroup.org/live-with-us/sheltered-housing/nottingham/westhay-court-nottingham-ng8/

Is it possible to get a picture of that picture?  :crazy:   I have mentioned this before but my father was born at 2 Radford Bridge Road which was demolished to make way for The Crown.  His father was master carpenter on the Nottingham Canal and the house came with the job. The house was immediately the opposite side of the road to the lock. I have never seen a picture of the house but yours may have a chance if its pointing that way.

On 10/21/2020 at 7:13 PM, The Pianoman said:

Is it possible to get a picture of that picture?  

Malcolm, did you look at the link to the item about the Nottingham Canal ? (scroll back to my post on Wednesday).

Start at around page 40-ish and there are a lot of old photos of the canal in the Wollaton/Radford Bridge Road area, and your father's house might be lurking somewhere.

Yes thanks I had seen it and it came close. Page 46 has a picture of lock No 6. My fathers house(?) was just off the right hand side of the picture. Page 49 has a modern picture of the lock keepers cottage and the toll house. They were behind my fathers house. As I have said before, my fathers house (well it was actually owned by the LNER) was demolished to make way for The Crown. Any photo would have to be pre 1930.

I have swam many times at that lock Pianoman, either in the lock when full or in the upper pound. Could have only been about 10/11/12 ish. Wouldn't be allowed near water at that age nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...

No it cannot be on any photo if The Crown is pictured. He was born at No. 2 which so far as I am aware and according to what he told me was pretty close to where the front of The Crown is now..

Looking at the spacing between no.4 and no.6 then no.2 would probably have been very close to the front of the Pub.

Can't remember where I got this or it's year, but the Island is still an Island so it's a good few years ago

AgLb696.png

Looks like it. Just had a look at some earlier maps and the area that is(was) nos 2 & 4 are just blank. Thinking about it, Dad said that his back kitchen was a approximately where the front lounge bar is on The Crown so yes, right at the front of the pub.

You might find something in the Notts Archives as planning processes would have been undergone before the roundabout and the Crown were built. Some kind of plans would have been drawn up then. These often show the position of buildings being demolished to make way for the new construction.

This map is from the 1880s. The buildings marked are clearly the same ones on Stuart.C's map, but on this earlier version there doesn't appear to be anything which could be Malcolm's house, apart from possibly the one in the centre right.

livDDQL.jpg

You have got me thinking that it could be the one at bottom centre. He did say that the house was at the side of the lock but never mentioned Radford Bridge. Unfortunately his elder sister died earlier this year (didn't quite make 99). She would have known but now there is no one to ask.  :(

I know this is off topic but the image illustrates the outline of the Babbington mineral track bed from above the Western Boulevard  bridge to melbourne park passing through the then Player's sport's ground. The signal box on the Trowel line still visible. 

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW043615

5 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

You have got me thinking that it could be the one at bottom centre. He did say that the house was at the side of the lock but never mentioned Radford Bridge. 

The building on the far right of my map is a fairly close fit for the idea about your dad's kitchen being in the front lounge bar of the pub.

And didn't have instant access to accurate mapping, so lost track of exactly where the house was in relation to the new Pub.

I assume the junction was widened,  Island put in, ring road started, council houses built and the pub built all around the same time. (maybe not in that order)

Looking at the photos of the area on Britain from Above, they were taken in 1933 and 1934, which is right on the point of change.

The 1933 images shown The Crown in the process of being built, with the ring-road and canal bridges already complete. The 1934 photos show The Crown finished. If the photos had been taken a year earlier, we might've seen the Malcolm house.