Autumn is upon us...

Just too wet and heavy drizzle all day. There is a wonderful crop of apples this year in spite of several trees missing completely. I've been trying to collect and clear the windfalls so that mowing can be done around the orchards but just getting soaked. There were a lot of hazel nuts a month ago, but not ripe enough to gather. None left now, but catkins forming already! Strange seasonal things happening. Got a large colony of hornets in the hanger and they are still very active. Like compo we have a lot of strange looking fungi but not enough field mushrooms to bother with, so leave them to spore. The trees are colouring nicely and the grape vines turning red and grapes turning black.

Late Autumn is an important time of the year for cider makers and I'm looking forwards to joining a local village group for their cider making this w/e. I will be taking a press and scratter + 7 types of apple for them to experiment with. Should be two sacks of pears for Perry too ;)

• Like 1
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As Summer moves into Autumn a few valiant flowers are still making a showing in the garden: https://picasaweb.google.com/paul.simonite/19September2014?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPmzve_70YLzVA&

I WOULD hold this Autumn beauty,bid the lovely season stay.I would halt the striding year and keep it at this golden day,but the glory must depart; the leaves must fade and fall to earth---that nature

Currently doing a bit of work on the beer garden, Oz. I have seriously pruned a hazel tree that was blocking light to the picnic table and I'm cutting back the hedges on one side and ash trees on the

SWMBO is making apple wine this year, PP, so that means no fruit for cider.  Not a problem though - I still have a gallon or two left from last season; hope it keeps until Xmas.

• Like 1

Not my garden but Autumnal is this picture I took yesterday on the River Thurso in Caithness, north Scotland:

37590874041_b06c62ab6f_h.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...

Autumn is upon us once again and it is time to start gathering leaves for Leaf Mould.  Here is some of a batch we bagged last year and prepared for sowing today.  It consists of nothing but mixed leaves:

45154860262_18a6945787_b.jpg

• Like 1

We're about set for another 'Urricane.   (Hurricane Michael) This one is scheduled to hit Panama city tomorrow and then move North through Georgia.  Last I heard it was strengthening to a Cat 3 in the gulf that is winds upto 120 'mph.  They usually weaken over land so it should be just a tropical storm by the time it hits us.  Can be high winds and three or four inches of rain though.  That might take a few leaves off the trees. Mostly in Georgia we tend to get those sort of gale force winds and rain that I remember in Nottingham as a kid.  I liked to hear it beating on my bedroom window at night and it would remove the occasional chimney pot or a few slates.

• Like 1

We never know for sure, Jill.  It could decide to go straight north through Alabama.  Right now it is forecast to go Northeast from the gulf and that will take it pretty much  right over us as it heads to the East coast.  Probably give North Carolina another bashing.

• 1 month later...

I've finally got my broad beans in. They've been sitting in root trainers and have been ready to go in the garden for ages so I was worried they were too tall and would flop over but they're fine, sitting up straight and tall. Phew.

Really miss the allotment.........

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This year I left some broad bean pods in the garden to ripen for seed whilst we were away on holiday. When I returned every single bean had been taken out of the pods by rodents! Teh littlel blighters :)

• Like 2