Autumn is upon us...

As Summer moves into Autumn a few valiant flowers are still making a showing in the garden:

https://picasaweb.google.com/paul.simonite/19September2014?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPmzve_70YLzVA&feat=directlink

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As Summer moves into Autumn a few valiant flowers are still making a showing in the garden: https://picasaweb.google.com/paul.simonite/19September2014?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPmzve_70YLzVA&

I WOULD hold this Autumn beauty,bid the lovely season stay.I would halt the striding year and keep it at this golden day,but the glory must depart; the leaves must fade and fall to earth---that nature

Currently doing a bit of work on the beer garden, Oz. I have seriously pruned a hazel tree that was blocking light to the picnic table and I'm cutting back the hedges on one side and ash trees on the

Watched the Autumn mist evaporate from the Riverbank (ex Town Arms) this morning and the Sun take over,then walked the Embankment'

Nottingham does take some beating,in all seasons.

• Upvote 1

2014-09-13_12-36-05_759_zps7eeb03d3.jpg

My sunflowers are still putting on a brave display.

Looking forward to getting up to Kendal next weekend. Six weeks of the trees turning all colours. can't wait.

• Upvote 3

I WOULD hold this Autumn beauty,bid the lovely season stay.I would halt the striding year and keep it at this golden day,but the glory must depart; the leaves must fade and fall to earth---that nature may commence her work of resurrection and rebirth.

Patience Strong.

• Upvote 4

Well Autumn is truly upon us now as the Autmnal Equinox was yesterday. as from now the days will be shorter than the nights.

• Upvote 2

I took about one thrrid of my hops down over the weekend but they aren't quite ready just yet. Another week should do the trick.

• 2 weeks later...

Brrrrrrrrrrrr it was cold last night. Time to swap over to the winter duvet this weekend I reckon, else I'll have to keep my socks on!

I think I'll get wrapped up after brekkie and rake the leaves off the lawn . It's too damp to use the sucker / blower thingy.

It'll keep me occupied for an hour or so, then a mug of hot chocolate. See, even on a miserable autumnal day, gardening can be fun.

Left home for a week in Fort William last monday in glorious sundhine and near drought consitions - arrived back last night to flooded fields and near zero temperatures. Autumn has arrived with a bang!

Stream needs leaves clearing again, it's never ending !!!!!!

Leaves are turning here, more cold fronts going through, making evenings cooler, severe thunderstorms more often, but still nice warm days, 84F forecast today, which is average for us for early October.

Cold mornings with at times a thick mist in the valleys, leaves falling all over the place, and the weatherman says we may have our first fall of snow on Friday, so autumn is with us here in the Vosges again

• 3 weeks later...

Almost forgot to pick some pomegranates, I know where there are a few trees with monsters as big as Grapefruit

No pin needed.

Have to get them before the Racoons get them

Despite autumn now being well under way theere are still a few flowers left in teh garden. All the Gladious have been cut for the living room by the boss but here are a few of the remaining flowers:

https://picasaweb.google.com/paul.simonite/27October2014?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKbWs6uhqp_d6QE&feat=directlink

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Well I've had to do some dramatic repair work on the lawn this morning. It resembled Dresden, Hiroshima or Paschaendaele or something similar. The naughty squirrels had not only buried peanuts, but had removed blooming divots. I don't know if they can foresee a long and cold winter ahead, and are stocking up accordingly but it's certainly made a mess. A good raking, holes filled with sand and compost and it'll soon be lush again....... Hopefully ! 

• Upvote 1

FLY,  we are having more trouble than usual with our squirrel this year.  He/she is burying cob nuts from our tree in the lawn rather than in the flower borders.  Like your lawn, we now have lots of holes which need filling in.  We collect the fallen nuts off the ground regularly but the squirrel still finds plenty to bury

I've been over the road onto the old railway embankment collecting acorns as it costs me an absolute fortune in peanuts, but I wouldn't be without them for the world. There are two adults, and two juveniles, but I think they have possibly had a second brood / litter as a further two youngsters have been in the garden recently. 

I just love sitting quietly on the patio watching their antics. Wonderful ! 

• Upvote 1

Our cats just sit and watch our squirrel - they used to chase them and on the flat would probably catch them, but we have lots of trees and the squirrels can just keep running while climbing.  The cats have to  stop momentarily before they jump up

If you loves bees then you might want to get hold of some single flowered Dahlias like those in this picture. They have been covered with bumble bees for many weeks now.

29853486031_a951c8fe9e_k.jpg

Had our first bunch of grapes from the polytunnel this week.  They don't normally ripen properly but this year we have had a late flush of warmth and there are some bunches that will fully ripen before the frosts arrive in a week or two:

29309686364_dc5232631d_h.jpg

• Upvote 1

Another Autumnal bounty is hops.  Looks like I shall have plenty to work with this coming year :)

29902362286_55dd7260f2_h.jpg

29822654182_e74ea96cf0_k.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...