Favourite film scenes

Calling all film buffs. This thread is for those who would like to tell us about their favourite scene in a film. I am not thinking about scenes where people are being mown down or blown up in their thousands, but rather scenes where the direction and/or acting has made an impression on you. Perhaps the music played its part in creating the ambience. For me this never happens in modern films, but I have a number of examples from films made in the golden age. I would not include modern computer generated images - these are wonderful but are now ten a penny. If anyone wants to follow this thread I will chip in with a few examples.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My all time favourite film " My darling Clementine", full of brilliant direction. Early in the film one moment is when Henry Fonda goes into the hotel , the Clanton gang approach him to see who it is.

Grans Tourino is one of my all time favourite films. Brilliant.

I'm shaking it boss. Paul Newman Whos the best pilot you've ever seen, The Right Stuff You mention Hitchcock.... Chulla. We have a friend whos husband wrote the screenplay for the Birds amongst othe

I know it's people being mown down, but the last shootout in 'The Wild Bunch' is brilliant.

Or, the final scenes of Educating Rita, super !

One of my all time favourites is when the planes in the Dambusters film go in to bomb the dams. Turn up the sound too !

Not a scene I know but a section of the film I always enjoy even getting the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up.

Brilliant !

• Upvote 1

Last few scenes of Grand Tourino were very good.

• Upvote 1

They were bf,great film,loved the banter in the Polaks barber shop,..........just like my barbers in Basford,..Don and Johns.

I know a lot of people call him, but Clint Eastwood has made som absolutely classics.

Play Misty For Me, The Beguiled, Thunderbolt & Lightfoot, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Unforgiven etc.

The scene in 'Witness' Harrison Ford singing to Kelly Mcginnis as he chases her round the barn..........you watched it yet Melissa?

• Upvote 1

The Accused staring the brilliant Jodie Foster. Acting at its best.

She is something special.

Casablanca," of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the World, she walks into mine"

Sam being told to play it

The Marseilles being sung, drowning out the nasty Germans

Just a brilliant film

I thought you were dead........Not hardly... Big Jake..

The thread is drifting off-tack already. It is not about favourite films, it is about favourite scenes in films - describe them!

#3 caftan. I am with you on the raid scene in The Dambusters. The sound of the four Merlin engines being wound up after the mine has been released and the pilot's effort to miss the high ground in front of him was very realistic. Here's one from me:

DARK VICTORY [1939] Director Edmond Goulding,

Bette Davis is a spoilt heiress who one day falls off her horse after her sight temporarily suffers double-vision. She is convinced that there is nothing wrong but is seen by doctor [George Brent]. He gives her tests and when she returns to his surgery for the result - telling him, in effect, that he is wasting his time, she listens to what he says, and her facial expression reveals that she is doubting her own judgement and saying to herself 'please, please, let it be good news'. The scene is superbly directed and acted; the look on Davis's face revealing her inner fears.

She learns that she has a terminal brain tumour, and marries the doctor. He tell her that she will know when the time comes because she will lose her vision and very quickly will die. Time goes by and she is in the garden with her friend planting bulbs. Her friend remarks how strong the sun is, and Davis realises that she cannot feel the heat and that her vision is deteriorating. She goes into the house [her friend knows what is happening] and prepares to meet her end. She calls her two dogs over and bids them goodbye and then climbs the stairs to her bedroom. There is a serene stillness as she climbs into bed, with the maid closing the curtains, and Max Steiner's heavenly music ensures that there is not a dry eye in the house. To my mind this is the finest death scene ever portrayed on the screen, a tribute to a great combination of directing and acting.

Anyone who remains dry-eyed after seeing this is made of stone.

OK you asked for it....LOL

This scene always brings tears to my eyes, tears from laughing so much.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=ytff1-tyc&p=the%20farting%20scene%20in%20blazing%20saddles&type=

Dint work!