Favourite film scenes

Melissa. See if you can find Dark Victory online. Sit and watch it with a box of Kleenex beside you.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My all time favourite film " My darling Clementine", full of brilliant direction. Early in the film one moment is when Henry Fonda goes into the hotel , the Clanton gang approach him to see who it is.

Grans Tourino is one of my all time favourite films. Brilliant.

I'm shaking it boss. Paul Newman Whos the best pilot you've ever seen, The Right Stuff You mention Hitchcock.... Chulla. We have a friend whos husband wrote the screenplay for the Birds amongst othe

Watched 'Sexy beast' last night and Ben Kingsley was terrific in every scene he was in,........his London geezer swearing was brilliant.

I like the scenes in Ghost where the nasty guys "buy it" and the demons take their ghosts away.

Sounds corny but love the scene in Brassed Off where the new young lady player does her rendition of "Rodrigo's concierto de Aranjuez" and at the end Pete Postlethwaite says "Bloody hell" something or other.

Bumped into Pete Postlethwaite once in the center of Perth WA a few years ago, he was in a one man show at a local theater, I stopped and looked at him and nudged my daughter who was with me, who it was, he noticed and came over and I shook his hand, he was a real nice bloke and had the time of day to chat and be normal, no airs and graces just a genuine bloke.

• Upvote 1

That was a good scene, she made it look like she was really playing the instrument too!! I loved the scene of the band at the hospital playing Danny Boy.

Shawshank Redemption where the prison governor realises he's been stitched up ! then where Morgan Freeman finds the buried tin under the tree.

• Upvote 1

No contest, the Suo Gan scene from Empire of the Sun. As the Japanese Kamikaze pilots prepare to fly off on their final mission, Jim, played by a very young Christian Bale, salutes them with a Chinese hymn. The P-51's then attack, devastatingly so. Jim runs up to the top of a building to to watch, in slow motion a P-51, flown in the film by the late, great Ray Hannah, flies close by, the pilot

waggling his wings and waving.

'Wow.....P-51, Cadillac of the skies......Horsepower........P-51.......They're beautiful.......I touched them......I can taste them........Oil and cordite in my mouth.

A panicking Nigel Havers:

Jim, try not to think so much!

What a scene, thank you Mr Speilburg.

A much underrated film based on the biographical book by J G Ballard, if you've not seen it, buy it off Amazon, it's rarely shown on TV.

• Upvote 1

Brief Encounter, when they walk away at the end.

Rebecca, when she first sees Mandalay.

Night of the Demon, the scene near the end when he jumps onto the railway track and is "claimed" by the demon.

The 39 Steps, the scene on the forth Railway Bridge.

The Incredible Journey, when Shadow returns.

The Railway Children, Daddy ! my Daddy!

The Ladykillers, when the signal arm comes down on his head at the end.

More to follow.............

Smiffy

Night of the Demon, the scene near the end when he jumps onto the railway track and is "claimed" by the demon.

The best moment of that film for me is when the magician realises that Dana Andrews has passed the runes which summon the demon back to him.

One from me - the ending of Dead of Night when the whole film which we thought had turned out be all a dream starts to happen again in reality.

How about The Longest Day.

Major Werner Pluskat sitting in his bunker on Omaha Beach, he sees the invasion fleet appear through the mist and phones headquarters:

'The invasion has started, there must be 5000 ships out there.'

'My dear Pluskat, you must be mistaken, the Allies don't have 5000 ships "

"Yes they have and they're heading straight for me "

Priceless.

Pete. Re Empire of the Sun. Have both the film and the book. Brilliant.

I tend to like the entire film and not just individual scenes. Maybe Robert Powell in The 39 Steps Where he is hanging off the hands of Big Ben.

Totally agree with Smiffy49 about the scene from Rebecca - easily Hitchcock's greatest film. The visuals as the famous prologue is being recited just after the opening credits is one of the greatest opening scenes in film history.

I am not too keen on violence being portrayed on the screen, but there is a film which, for me, has another one of the greatest opening scenes.

THE LETTER [1940] director William Wyler.

The scene is set in the Malayan jungle at night in bright moonlight. The camera slowly pans across the trees revealing the coolies asleep, birds roosting in the trees, and then shows a bungalow. Suddenly, BANG! a gunshot, then BANG!, BANG! again. The coolies awake startled, the birds flutter away. A man staggers out of the door on to the veranda. He falls down the steps on to the ground and out of the bungalow coolly walks Bette Davis, revolver in hand and walks down the steps. BANG!, BANG!, BANG! as she fires the rest of the bullets into him, then the stillness of the night is restored. All this takes place very convincingly on an indoor soundstage, a wonderful example of the skill of the art director.

The Letter is a Somerset Maugham story expertly brought to the screen with a great performance by Bette Davis, who's English accent is impeccable. There is also an excellent performance by one of the lesser members of the cast, Chinese actor Sen Yung, playing a creepy, slimy lawyer.

• 1 year later...

Brassed Off,

So many great scenes and having played in a colliery band I can put a name to everyone in that film but one scene that makes me laugh is the one where the band is in one of the rehearsal rooms waiting to be called on stage and the announcer stumbles over the word colliery and Jim says "I bet they're glad they closed the bugger"

Danny's speech at the end was an evocative epitaph for an industry and communities like the one I was born into and brought up in

My all time favourite film " My darling Clementine", full of brilliant direction. Early in the film one moment is when Henry Fonda goes into the hotel , the Clanton gang approach him to see who it is. As he leaves, Ike Clanton asks his name, "The names Earp,......................Wyatt Earp".

Brilliant film, full of those magic moments.

Hombre: Paul Newman is the half-caste humiliated in Delgardo's. When the stagecoach he is on is ambushed by the same gang, one thinks he recognizes him. He gets away with it and, when the gang ride off, he grabs a gun hidden on the coach roof and shouts "Delgardo's". As the baddie turns round and recognizes him, Hombre shoots the bastard.

One up for the underdog. Love it.

So OK. I like cowboy films !

• Upvote 2

I'm shaking it boss. Paul Newman

Whos the best pilot you've ever seen, The Right Stuff

You mention Hitchcock.... Chulla. We have a friend whos husband wrote the screenplay for the Birds amongst others, He past away about 8 years ago Evan Hunter, Ed McBain + a few other names he used for his books.

• Upvote 2

I remember when The Birds was released. The advertising hoardings shouted 'THE BIRDS IS COMING'. Normally grammatically incorrect, of course, but in this case it was correct, but always looked awkward, which, I suppose, is what Hitchcock wanted.

I love the fireworks scene in Lord of the Rings Fellowship of the Ring. It is the scene in the Shire where the Hobbits set off the fireworks in the tent and get more than they bargained for. The firework explodes in the form of a huge dragon and people run. Very funny, well acted and excellent special effects.