Nottingham Festival 1970

Yes, I don’t think the fuel from Humberside is destined for Colwick. Someone told me that most of it is aviation fuel for Heathrow but I would have thought that their fuel farm was fed by pipeline. I can see the Lincoln Nottingham line from the upstairs windows at home and there’s lots of fuel trains day and night going somewhere. I must investigate further.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Whitakers petrol barges finished around 1995 give or take a couple years Phil. Your friend should have had no reason to worry for his safety the crew were very  safety conscious, they ha

We used to jump off Clifton Bridge in the early 50's. The water was almost black. It was also much deeper then and large barges would come by quite often. I always assumed that the barges carried coal

Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime, Pushbike Song and Lady Rose, De de-de-de de de-de-de-de..... great stuff Guinness - One of the essential food groups during the sixties and seventies

I was watching a TV program about Heathrow and they were on about a fuel farm fed by pipeline so your right there.

Quite a fascinating subject really what goes on under our feet. I remember back in the 60s when I started to go up into the High Peak I notice a strange looking building in Doveholes on the Buxton to Chapel road. A low lying brick built building at the front that went into a hill side and really out of place in such a small village turns out that was an under ground fuel store. It turns out they also used the salt caverns in Cheshire.

27 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

They may be going to Kingsbury in Warwickshire, Britain’s largest inland oil terminal. 

The trains deliver to Colwick, Kingsbury and Jarrow terminals I discover from Googling. There is also a vast underground pipeline network covering the country.

When we moved to the Trent Valley in the early 60’s there was still a lot of barge traffic on the Trent with towboats pulling dumb barges. Some used to overnight at the Bromley at Fiskerton. The traffic gradually dwindled over the years and I think the last barges took gravel from Gunthorpe quarry to Hull. There is still barge traffic on the tidal stretch beyond Cromwell lock carrying mainly gravel. Below Keadby bridge, which no longer lifts, there are seagoing boats delivering to the riverside wharves. These usually come from Northern Europe. Where the Trent runs into the Humber at Trent Falls the shifting sands necessitate regular updating of the navigation charts and pilotage is required for larger boats. The Humber lifeboat is the only one in the country that has a full time crew. It’s pretty bleak out on those waters and a long way from anywhere interesting. A road trip along either side of the Trent from Gainsborough to the Humber area is worth exploring.

I think rail deliveries to Colwick Terminal ceased in the 90's. 

By a strange coincidence, I had to collect a train driver today, He works out of Immingham, and was taking a load of coal to Toton depot, to be delivered to Radcliffe power station tomorrow.

His train was stopped, near to market rasen, due to another train having a brake problem.

The other train was delivering fuel to Kingsbury.

So a nice trip from Toton, to Wickenby and Immingham, in the sunshine.

The Whitakers petrol barges finished around 1995 give or take a couple years Phil.

Your friend should have had no reason to worry for his safety the crew were very 

safety conscious, they had jam jars full of water to drop their fag ends in.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I am completely confused by this thread.

I made a comment yesterday attempting to point out that the title is "Nottingham-Festival-1970". This comment seems to have been deleted and the thread continues in its merry way on a totally different subject - oil barges on the Trent (via jumping and or diving from various Trent bridges).

That's what makes this Forum so interesting. Without the meanderings who would have thought to start a thread about oil barges on the Trent? Something about which I knew very little and now pleased to have this info stored in my cornucopia of Nottingham facts!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I’ve just discovered a very interesting website for those who want more info. about the carriage of goods along the Trent. trentbasin.co.uk

It’s quite comprehensive and I’ve not studied it yet but it will be of interest to the many historians who inhabit this site!

• Like 1
On 4/20/2018 at 2:21 PM, jonab said:

I am completely confused by this thread.

I made a comment yesterday attempting to point out that the title is "Nottingham-Festival-1970". This comment seems to have been deleted and the thread continues in its merry way on a totally different subject - oil barges on the Trent (via jumping and or diving from various Trent bridges).

Don't worry yersen to much, this is NS at it's very best !

This was the old "Carsey" on the Embankment, was open in 1970.

P1010496_zpsbd1u0xu2.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Just when I thought Spring was here I’ve had to put a sweater on - and now the radiators have switched back on!

Quick, give Carnie a shout, there must be a song here !

• Like 1
On 17/04/2018 at 5:44 AM, Oztalgian said:

...Pushbike Song...

That was by an Oztralian band called The Mixtures, Oz.  They were formed in Melbourne in 1965 :)