Enigma.

Nottingham Festival 1970

The first Nottingham Festival. Views of Slab square, Playhouse, castle, The Forest and Wollaton Park in 1970

• Like 1

Always nice to see the old slab square in any video and proper cars. The fashion sense, well it's good to have a laugh.

• Upvote 1

Up until the late 1970's the Nottm Festival was excellent..before it became hi-brow.Taste-25-07-70-photo-_J-_Morris.jpgTaste 1970Notts-1970-25-07-70-_Family-_J-_Morris.jFamily at the festival.13a3514eee2a90d76da05f945c6af2bb.jpgAtomic Rooster under the canvas at Nottm Festival.

• Like 1

Saw these at The Nottingham Playhouse with me Ma. Nottm Festival '74!

• Like 1

Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime, Pushbike Song and Lady Rose, De de-de-de de de-de-de-de..... great stuff

Guinness - One of the essential food groups during the sixties and seventies

• Like 3

The Settlers looked like they were trying to emulate that great Aussie group The Seekers, the singer even sounds a bit like Judith Durham

Here is Pan's People doing the same song The Lightning Tree

• Like 1

I always liked bands that were suitable for festivals. There's not much better than LIVE music and a few beers. 

Taste, Family and Atomic Rooster were brilliant. Been to dozens of real festivals over the years. Best acts ! The original Fleetwood Mac, Rory Gallagher, Stone the Crows, The Groundhogs, Ten Years After, Jethro Tull, Nazareth, Chicken Shack, Whitesnake, The Who, The Kinks, The Nice etc.

Worst were Yes, Roxy Music zzzzzz.

• Like 1

I remember as a boy seeing a high diver launching himself from a board built up with scaffolding on Trent Bridge. Don't know how high it was but at least twice as high as Trent Bridge itself. I remember he did a swallow dive and it seemed ages before  plunging into the Trend which had been set on fire. I assume that this was something to do with a festival in the 40's early 50's?

You'd have to wonder how deep it is at Trent bridge?  Diving in there from a good height might result in a headache if it's shallow.  It was always so murky when I lived there you never had any idea how deep it was.

I've never seen anyone go off Trent bridge but youths jumping (not diving) from the suspension bridge was quite common on a hot day.

13 hours ago, loppylugs said:

You'd have to wonder how deep it is at Trent bridge?  Diving in there from a good height might result in a headache if it's shallow.  It was always so murky when I lived there you never had any idea how deep it was.

I used to do a bit of scuba diving many years back,and have dived the Trent a few times. I can't ever remember the Trent being more than 15ft deep at normal levels. Some places near Clifton bridge were shallower than that!.

• Like 1

Could you even see anything down there Waddo?  A few years ago I would have thought the pollution would be pretty bad too.

Your right there, it was pretty murky, a sort of dark green. Not quite zero viz but it was good training. The pollution side of it is just the same as when you go white water rafting at holme pierpoint!! And at the end of the day, nowhere near as bad as the ganges!!

• Like 2

The Trent around Clifton was very shallow at all times but especially summer when you can usually walk across. Completely unnavigable even to narrow boats which draw between 2 and 3 feet hence the building of the Beeston canal.

7 hours ago, Brew said:

I've never seen anyone go off Trent bridge but youths jumping (not diving) from the suspension bridge was quite common on a hot day.

We used to jump off Clifton Bridge in the early 50's. The water was almost black. It was also much deeper then and large barges would come by quite often. I always assumed that the barges carried coal but could have been any bulk item. The wash made by the barges eroded the banks quite badly.  I remember sitting on my fishing basket seat at Farndon when the whole bank gave way,  just sort of slid down into the Trent. Got away with a scare and wet feet.

• Like 4

Can't work out where those barges were going there's a damn great weir just upstream at Beeston Rylands. I know we used to get large petrol barges coming up to Colwick industrial estate and general goods to British Waterways at the end of Trent lane but never seen any further up than that.

Are you sure you have that one right PP as Clifton Bridge was only opened in March 1958 with the west bridge opening in 1972.

I remember seeing those barges while parked at Stoke Bardolph.  I always thought they might be carrying oil or petrol.  There was a big tank farm at Colwick just a few miles from there.  My folks told me they were probably going to Hull.  Not sure if that is correct I just accepted what they said.  They could certainly have carried a lot of oil.

I think the oil barges came from Torksey terminal, up Gainsborough way. The big terminal near Colwick was served by the railway only as far as I'm aware.

John Harker barges used to ply the Trent carrying oil and like PP I had to hang on to my basket and keep net as the draught sucked all the water out and the wash brought it back with a vengeance often washing the basket away if you had not moved it far enough up the bank.

For many years there was a wrecked barge virtually under the Halfpenny bridge - its cargo was sand. There was a ford across the Trent close to Clifton Grove and even today you can walk/wade about halfway depending on the river level. Only the smallest of boats can get past and go as far as far as Beeston weir.

• Like 1

Sorry for mistake - it was Halfpenny Bridge we used to jump off not Clifton Br. There was a large steel pipe running on the outside of the bridge and we would sit on that a then slide off into space. We also used to nick railway sleepers from near the bridge and use them as boats. Trying to stand on then. Great fun but a long swim/wade back upstream to where our clothes were stashed..