Hi catfan, he sure was. I remember him lifting kids up and chucking 'em across desks!

You are right I was in Jack Wrights class. He was as Catfan says a very strict teacher and if he saw you were not paying attention a blackboard rubber would come flying in your direction.

He also had a softer side and I remember every week he would pick some of the class to clean his car and they would ge paid.

Broxtowelad what names can you remember from Withern Road?

Our neighbours were Birchnall at number 35,we lived at 37, the North family at number, 39 Smedley at 41 Clayton at 43 and the Platt family at 45. Across the road from us were the Eastwood family and the Taylor family. Down the road past Shipley lived Johnny Sisson.

That's great Ann. I have had a quick look and my dad is listed there. I will study it in more detail later.

I was born there in 1948 and I think that list was probably dated early 1940's

• Upvote 1

Our neighbours were Birchnall at number 35,we lived at 37, the North family at number, 39 Smedley at 41 Clayton at 43 and the Platt family at 45. Across the road from us were the Eastwood family and the Taylor family. Down the road past Shipley lived Johnny Sisson.

Hi Broxtowelad I remember most of those names in fact I went out with Linda Smedley for a while. I remember Graham Sisson and his brother Tommy.

Another couple of names have come to mind.There were the Hazeldine family and a family with a Polish name that I can't spell but sounded like "Sirochit".If I remember right they lived around the Green,that was what we called the big grassed area that had a low iron fence running around it,more or less opposite our house.The Dale family lived near the Bradfield road end.

Yes I remember all of those names. I knocked around with Alan Dale for a while and Coln Hazeldine. I still see Derek Hazeldine in town regularly and his sister whose name I don't know in the Broad Oak.
What is your name Broxtowelad? You can PM me if you wish.

I think my Auntie and Uncle might have lived on Withern Road at some point. Had a quick look and found this - don't know year, but might remind you of some names. My Auntie and Uncle are on it, living at Frinton Road

http://www.alan-russell.co.uk/family/1953/Broxtowe1953.txt

Cliff Ton: There is a Corpe and Widdowsons on the thread above......

Yes I remember all of those names. I knocked around with Alan Dale for a while and Coln Hazeldine. I still see Derek Hazeldine in town regularly and his sister whose name I don't know in the Broad Oak.

What is your name Broxtowelad? You can PM me if you wish.

I remember us making a great slide, during a proper snowy winter, on the Green and one of the Hazeldine lads went down it head first on a piece of board.He come a right cropper at the bottom and split his head open on the railings.

• 10 months later...