Before leaving for any holiday with our dog I visit a web site to check out nearby pubs where we can have a bar meal and where our dog will be made welcome. A great site with over 5000 pubs listed. site is www.doggiepubs.org.uk

But when home in Nottingham we find it rather more difficult - especially to find a welcoming place for a Sunday Roast or mid day meal. Particularly in a pleasant location e.g. riverside or park. and within a six or seven mile radius.

Am wondering whether there are any like minded dog owners out there who can recommend any such places, not already on the site, and which could perhaps be added to the web site too.

Am only interested in places which will allow well behaved pets inside and not, as with many establishments, banish them to the back yard or outside smokers' corner or beer garden. Fully appreciate that restaurant areas will be "out of bounds", but hard floor bar areas? Surely not?

• Upvote 1

If ever you stay in Oxfordshire check out the "Merrymouth Inn" at Fifield, not too far away from Burford.

We stayed there recently and the owners do have dogs themselves, which I think helps.

They have a restaurant in which dogs are most welcome to "go under the table" (sit there that is).

This was allowed at breakfast too, in fact there were more people stopping there with dogs than without.

One morning I counted twelve dogs in the dining room.

Smiffy

The Robin Hood in Lambley lets dogs in, as dos the Fox & Hounds in Blidworth Bottoms. I dare say there are quite a few more.

If we have dog in tow, I always ask at the bar first. Not many say no. The poshest place we took our lab into recently was the Feathers in Dersingham, Norfolk, which is the Royal family's local when they're at Sandringham.

It is a huge problem over here - and our dog (George) is the perfect pub dog. Unfortunately, Michigan laws prohibit dogs in bars and restaurants. Other states are more lenient - I know that both New Hampshire and Florida allow dogs on outdoor patios at restaurants and bars provided the establishment agrees to it. Last time I was in New Hampshire we went to a really good restaurant that not only allowed dogs on the patio, they also had a "Doggie" menu! George had "Boos Bacon Wrap Bites" and loved it - he was a huge hit on the patio too!

IMG_20140629_122001_998_zpsxtka0ne7.jpg

IMG_20140629_123930_568_zpsiwpinn9s.jpg

• Upvote 2

Thanks for responses so far, but still nothing new to add. The Robin Hood at Lambley and Fox at Blidworth are already a couple of the rare nearby pubs that are already listed on the doggiepubs site.

What a contrast to areas such as the Lake District, where so many places seem to welcome them with open arms !! Or Llandudno, where we have just spent a weeks holiday, and where I was able to easily come up with four pubs that merited an entry on the aforementioned web site.

(Like Rob L we always ask before entering, but the majority around here come up with the "not wanted" response).

P.S. Love the menu from the Tails on the Terrace

• Upvote 1

#6 It did nearly happen ! The trick was to have one foot on the dog lead leaving both hands free to eat.

The owner always came round with chopped cold sausages for the best behaved ones (although they all got their share).

The most comical part was leaving the dining room with your own dogs on a very very short leads, particularly past the "non-dog" tables.....tricky !

Smiffy

• Upvote 1

Not much help to the thread but here in oz, dogs are about next in line to smokers for being ostracized ! (might add I agree with the non smoking in pubs and public areas rule) even some alfresco coffee shops now refuse dogs at their outdoor areas !

We are currently in a very small outback town with one coffee shop, went and sat at the outdoor area with my well behaved springer, and was asked to take the dog round the back and tie it up out of sight, as the ranger would fine me if he saw us there.

We left and put the kettle on back at base.

Having said that i feel it's the irresponsible owners that have caused the anti dog action, maybe similar in the uk.

Thanks Dave 48 for the reminder about the Broad Oak - will have to re visit to see how we are greeted !

Otherwise, all out there seem to have the same problem in tracking down any new candidates for the "dog friendly pubs "site.

The Fox, Dixie's and Robin Hood are already listed. And I recently added the Bromley Arms at Fiskerton - though visited too late in the afternoon for a meal.

So the only new suggestion to date is the Broad Oak at Strelley.

Was surprised to hear about the attitude to dogs in Oz - seems that owners there are also treated as walking cases of leprosy as they are in and around Nottingham. So, like Banjo 48, we usually make our feeling politely known to publicans involved but flash a bundle of fivers in front of them to indicate the amount of lost trade as a result of their attitude.

Any surprise that small pubs are closing at such a rapid rate?

Any dog lover holidaying at Bridlington - try the Ship Inn at nearby Sewerby. Bar often full of dogs, roaring log fire in cold summers and a huge banner outside proclaiming that dogs are welcome. Very friendly all round and have never seen any trouble between the four leggeds (or owners). Nor any reports of anyone dying as a result.

• 9 months later...

The Magpie just near Bardills island is one I've heard of lately, as is The Plough in Sandiacre and also The Manor at Toton.