Whopper Spiders

Has any one noticed how big the spiders are at the moment. Where ever we walk in the garden there seems to be giant Cobwebs. Not just your average size.They are Monsters! We have one in the front garden, stretched from the window sill to the mini tree tub. It has to be the size of a bicycle wheel. The Spider that lives there, has to be the size of Half a Crown! Well Two Bob then! When we go out the front door, it smiles at us, because it knows that one day we will forget and walk through the web and make his day! I really look forward to that. Seriously. We are over run with them at the moment. They all seem to be the Big Ugly Golden Brown ones, with big fat bodies and legs. I know they do good for us, so I try not to disturb them. It brings to mind again the game we played as kids. You get a long thin twig, bend it into a circle and collect the Spiders Webs. I tell you the size of these Spiders, they would have your arm off if you tried.

• Upvote 2

Big, ugly, fat, brown ones, sounds like a large proportion of the Bulwell female population. .

Yes! I know, it's racist, sexist and contempt for the grossly overweight, but it's true!

• Upvote 4

I left a pint mug on the worktop for my morning cuppa, I was just about to put a teabag in when the biggest spider popped out of the mug, I'm ashamed to say I screamed like a girl. SWMBO laughed like a drain till her sides ached, of course she's told everyone we know & they now think I'm a wimp..

• Upvote 4

I have a glass of water on the bed side cabinet for during the night. I went to pick the glass up one morning to throw away what I hadn't drunk. There. Floating on the top of the water was a half dead spider, spread out, covering the whole of the glass. If I had drunk the water in the dark (as I usually do) I would have gulped it down in one go. Mmmmm. I never leave the glass uncovered now!

• Upvote 1

Get one of those plastic cups with a lid and straw built in for your bedside table, Carni. That'll give the spider something to do during the night, try and squeeze down the straw.

When we lived in California, I saw what must have been many hundreds of Tarantula spiders crossing our driveway, now those ARE huge!!

A few weeks I noticed a "port wine" stain on the left side of my left foot, it swelled, got very dry, itched like crazy and was also sore. All we could put it down to was a spider bite. The day previously a small white spider dropped in my boot as I was about to lace it up, I thought I'd squelched it.. Must have been "it" that bit me.

Interestingly enough, an experiment was done re- a spiders' legs. When told to move, a spider was seen to move and then a leg was removed. When all the legs were gone in a similar manner, it was told to move but did not do so. It was deduced from this that when a spider has no legs, it's stone deaf.

• Upvote 4

DAVID #14

Thank you for the link. That explains why the Spiders are so big this year. I haven't seen the usual Spiders that tend to come into the house yet but judging by the size of the brown ones that are hanging around the garden this year. I expect to see some real big ones. Any time now!

Conditions have been ideal this year for them. The big ones that you find in the house usually come in at this time of the year looking for mates. When I lived in the old farmhouse we had some humongous spiders that you could hear pattering across the carpet!

I have noticed loads of the harvestmen (daddy long legs) spiders around this year too, I seem to be forever clearing up their cobwebs.

Some hilarious comments here - but its not really funny !!!

What might seem to be a beast the size of half a crown to Carni, can appear the size of a bicycle wheel to us arachnophobics. Strangely enough, the one outdoors don't bother me, it's just the monsters that scuttle across the carpet of an evening! Must be the feeling of being trapped indoors with no where to run, and certainly could not move as fast as some of them.

The Kleen eze man used to have a spider catcher in his catalogue. A square plastic 'cup' on end of a long handle and with a sliding panel at the bottom. Plonk it down over the creature and then slide the panel shut and carry it outside, flip it over and allow the spider to drop out. Only problem we found is that they seemed to have a homing instinct and am quite certain that the same one would have found its way back the next evening!

The device now seems to have disappeared though - unless anyone knows better ?? Please !

NOT for the faint hearted!

Our son stays with us most Wednesdays. A couple of weeks ago he awoke to find a spider on his shoulder. He pushed it off on to the floor, only to feel it on him again a few minutes later. He jumped out of bed, so that was the end of sleep for that night:

When he came last week there was a surprise waiting for him when he went up to his room....Wicked Parents aren't we!

9d325eb7-6a7c-4d7f-b6d2-b094cafdd7b9.jpg

• Upvote 1

Home made spider catcher - glass or plastic beaker and coaster, glass over the spider, slide coaster under, empty out of window hellothere

• Upvote 2

I have a dog that is terrified of spiders, every time it sees one it runs around the house barking until we remove it,

It all started one day when it ran into an old shed full of cobwebs, and they got all over his face and nose, since that day he has hated them

Last weekend was hooking up the hosepipe I noticed a leg sticking out poked it a bit & out came a Black Widow .Pic on Facebook.

The only spider that scared the crap out of me was a Wolf Spider. I used to have one of those giant satellite dishes & the picture kept scrambling so I stuck my fingers down the feedhorn & it ran up my arm ,Was the size of a cricket ball

Got bit by a Praying Mantis didn't know they bit..