Whopper Spiders

de's are spiders, de's are

Are de's spiders?

de are

something are, why de are spiders.

How did I do? Not seen this before, had to use me brain a bit. [not a lot]

• Upvote 1

I have been looking Chulla's post on and off all day, with no luck. I couldn't work it out.

I bet you learnt that one, playing with your Alphabetti Spaghetti instead of eating it! Chulla.

I think you have got it Katyjay.

All spiders welcome at our house. They eat filthy flies.

I was working at National Grid college at Eakring last year. One of the female lower grade chefs was a right bossy boots (she's left now). All knowledge and don't do it this was but do it my way. One morning she was getting something she dropped behind a worktop and next thing you know she was screaming her head off and legging it down the kitchen. You guessed it. A whopper of a spider. It made my day.

Hey, katyjay and carni; if you liked my #26 why didn't you give it a Like? (I'm collecting them!)

4th line is Oh ar (Oh yes). The riddle is not my doing - I remembered it from years ago.

Spiders are wonderful insects. No-one teaches them how to construct a web, and yet it is so precise. I once watched one doing so and it was wonderful. As it travelled along one of its lines it held the silk high with one of its legs so as not to touch existing lines and then dabbed it down on one of the radials. The spacing was extremely precise.

• Upvote 1

Took our awning down today, ready for going up to Kendal. After 6 months there were one or two extra guests nestling amongst the canvas. They went for flying lessons courtesy of the sweeping brush :hand:

• Upvote 1

The common giant house spider males wander in Autumn looking for a mate. You don't usually see them at other times. I have one living in the old chest freezer in the shed. I moved it out of the cabinet twice and it came straight back each time.

Apider.jpg?gl=GB

Had to rescue one about that size today from the ladies loos......swept him up into a dustpan and sent him packing into the rose bushes, to join the big fat garden spider I put in there yesterday after cobwebbing outside the loo block :Shock:

I can fortunately call upon my good lady to remove outside them using the upturned glass method. But perhaps this is doing them no favours and it would be better to kill them on the spot !!!! A swift death.

After all, the experts tell us that these are mainly males looking for a mate. But they also tell us that this is an extremely risky business for the males, as the females generally kill and eat them after mating anyway - perhaps resulting in a very slow and painful death?

Just a case then of "being cruel to be kind". (Though maybe they will die with a smile on their faces if they succeed in their mission )? :crazy:

P.S. I have yet to kill one as my Mum told me, many, many years ago that to do so would bring nothing but bad luck. So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

• 3 weeks later...

We have Black widows & the Brown Recluse so you have to be careful where you stick your hands especially dark places or in the garden under rocks or wood.

Got bit by a BW my fault nearly lost my hand but the Recluse bite is supposed to be a lot more potent.

The male to the widow dosn't look anything like the female small & brown don't think they bite.

WE get Praying Mantis some are very large I call them aliens didn't think they bit but they do as I found out ,No poison just a bite.

This year there has been many sightings of animals/reptiles from the mountain range coming down looking for water.

• Upvote 1
  • 10 months later...

Hi there Chulla

When I learnt that riddle they used to put a Z next to the D so it read dease!

I used to deliver to a Banana warehouse and boy did they find spiders

Best wishes

Peter

• Upvote 1

When we were first married my OH told me that his ex was terrified of spiders.

I assumed a faint sneer and murmured, 'What a wimp.'

Then I`ve had to grit my teeth and pretend not to mind them for the next 30 years!

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

It's that time of year again, when the garden is a mine field of massive spider webs. We have been watching one particular spider and its web just outside of our patio doors. It stretches from the Standard Rose to the Red Robin trees, it is aproximately 5ft wide and 3ft depth. The spider just sits, watching and waiting.

It is just a matter of time before one of us forgets and walks straight through it. (Hope it's not me) The Brown Spiders don't seem as big this September. It must have been a bumper year for Whoppers in 2014.

My little neighbor just asked if we would pass his ball back, apparently it came over while we were away last week. We found it stuck in the branches of a red robin tree, surrounded by well established webs, being watched over by those horrible two toned brown spiders. Ugly Bu99ers. We have decided that if a cobweb tickles our face, you can be sure there's a spider in our hair. Ah well I suppose they do a good job really, just don't expect me to like them! :unsure:

This brings to mind the childhood game of collecting webs on a stick made into a loop. How many of you played that game. ME. :biggrin:

I saw some pretty large brown recluses when I was grading behind my workshop yesterday, they can make a mess of a person if they bite.