Mam recalled going to a Lyon's shop somewhere on Long Row, maybe just after the war. I popped into the Archives to look it up for her and found it in Kelly's dated 1936. I transcribed the whole of Long Row so thought I'd post it here in case anyone else has an interest.

By the way, the Archives are closing at 1245pm on 18 October for some building works and re-opening next Spring.

Anyways, here's what Long Row was like back then:

Kelly’s Directory of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire 1936

Long Row East

--- Clumber Street ---

1,2,3 Skinner & Rook, wine merchants

4a Rumbles & Harrison, wholesale milliners

5 Personal Services League

6 F Coleridge, costumier

7 Meakers Ltd, gents’ outfitters

--- Maypole yard ---

8 Mrs Emelia Gauntley, tobacconist

9 Maypole Dairy Co. Ltd, butter merchant

10 Black Boy Hotel

11-13 Manfield & Sons Ltd, boot & shoe manufacturer

14 Stead & Simpson Ltd, boot & shoe maker

14a Ciné Studios

14a Brookfield, Aitchinson & Co. Ltd, Manchester warehousemen

--- Swann’s Yard ---

15 Hind, Belt & Ratcliffe, solicitors

15 F W Browne, accountant

Alfred Harwood, accountant

15 Benjamin Gough, paper merchant

16 Foster, Blackett & James, paint manufacturers

16 Midland Bank Ltd

17-18 W Barrett & Co. Ltd, boot dealer

19 Coop Insurance Society

19 Alexandrine, dress agency

19 Mrs Fay Harrison, ladies’ hairdresser

20 Henry Dodgson Ltd, costumiers

--- Greyhound Street ---

21 Fitzhugh & Carr, chemist

21 Henry Sharp, warehouseman

22 Craddock Bros. Ltd, boot & shoe makers

--- King Street ---

Long Row Central

25 Salmon & Gluckstein Ltd, tobacconists

26 Saxone Shoe Co. Ltd, boot & shoe maker

27 George Dean, tailor

Mrs M A Venner, hairdresser

Miss Mabel Wilford, dance teacher

30 Law Union & Rock Insurance Co. Ltd

30 School of cookery

30 Percy Williams, cigar maker

31 H Samuel Ltd, jeweller

32 Rivoli Glove Co. Ltd, ladies’ hosiers and glovers

34 J Lyons & Co. Ltd, caterers

35 Camille, costumier

--- Norfolk Place ---

36 Black Boy Chocolate Co Ltd, confectioners

36a Miss Nellie Clarke, ladies’ hairdresser

36a Ron Eason, hairdresser

37 Page Gowns

Cauldon Chambers:

Wilton Club Co. Ltd

Campbell Bros. (Nottm) Ltd, turf commission agents

Arthur Robson, hairdresser

38 The Goldsmiths, jeweller

39 Mikado Café Co.

40-44 Griffin & Spalding, restaurant

40-44 Griffin & Spalding, drapers, furnishers, etc.

--- Market Street ---

Long Row West

48 Walter Scott (men’s wear) Ltd, gents’ outfitter

49 Yates Bros. & Co., victualler, Talbot & King’s Hall & St. James’ Restaurant

50-51 Hope Bros. Ltd, outfitters

52 Calverts’ Stores, grocer

The Woodlands:

Calverts’ Café, dining, tea rooms, etc.

53-56 Pearson Bros. (Nottm) Ltd, ironmongers, etc.

57 Henry Farmer & Co. Ltd, wireless dealers

--- Hurts Yard ---

58-59 Windmill Café

59 Bernard Smith, ladies’ hairdresser

60 Singer Sewing Machine Company Ltd

61 T N Parr, pork butcher

62a L Verity, optician

62 James Smith & Sons (cleaners) Ltd, dyers and cleaners

63-64 Cavendish Furniture Co. Ltd

65 Royal Midland Institute for the Blind, basket & brush makers

65a Melton Chambers:

Provident Clothing & Supply Co. Ltd, credit check traders

Madame Finetta, milliner

--- Dragon Yard ---

67 John Turner, victualler, George & Dragon

West End Meat Market

• Upvote 4

Mam recalled going to a Lyon's shop somewhere on Long Row, maybe just after the war.

Amazing how many people here can remember Lyons on Long Row. It's been mentioned in several threads, but it's difficult to find a photo which shows the place clearly. You can see the name just beyond the rear of the bus.

long.jpg

• Upvote 2

If you have ever watched Nigella Lawson's episode of "Who Do You Think You Are", you will have noticed that her family used to own Salmon & Gluckstein (25 Long Row).

Montague Gluckstein went on to found Lyons (34 Long Row) in 1894, while Imperial Tobacco bought out the business of Salmon & Gluckstein in 1902.

By 1950 number 34 Long Row had been taken over by Dolcis shoe company(Kelly's)

It is interesting to see from the directories I have to notice the many change that have taken place on Long Row over the years.

I have quite a few directories in my collection of books on Nottingham & shire (earliest 1844)

When I started going out with the wife, I met her off the Sherwood bus that terminated outside of Lyons. First time, she said 'I'll

meet you outside Lyons'. I waited alongside one of the lions outside the Council House and wondered why she didn't turn up!

Nice pic Cliff...The vast Market Place,Hansom cabs and a wealth of stores on the aptly named Long Row.This would be what the rich would see on their shopping visits,And yet to the rear the unseen warren of 'The Rookery' a huge area of alleys and slum housing and abject poverty soon to be wiped out by the council and not before time.

Shame these areas were rarely recorded by early photographers.

2j5mlnt.jpg

I'm guessing now but is Market Street today just off the map to the left, Queen St/King St today where Wheatsheaf Yard/Hound Street is on the map and Pelham Street today where Black Boy Yard is on the map?

I'm guessing now but is Market Street today just off the map to the left, Queen St/King St today where Wheatsheaf Yard/Hound Street is on the map and Pelham Street today where Black Boy Yard is on the map?

The one I have called Pelham Street - I actually mean Clumber Street :unsure: Don't know me way round yet

Not quite.

Extending poohbears map a bit further east, you can now see Clumber street on the extreme right, which puts the rest in perspective. Black Boy Yard is - not surprisingly - connected to the Black Boy Hotel, although that's the earlier version before it was redesigned by Watson Fothergill.

For the future location of King / Queen Street, I've put a red arrow on the lower half of the road marked as Greyhound Street. That still exists today, so K/Q Street are immediately to the west of that.

long-2.jpg

Well I would never have believed that that little alley would be Greyhound Street. I am assuming that it is the little alley where there is a public loo and NCT bus drivers also disappear down there. Must be some sort of canteen facility for them. Must go down again with my camera, it might be a bit of an insight into how it was prior to demolition

• 2 years later...
On 25/09/2014 at 0:42 AM, Rob.L said:

If you have ever watched Nigella Lawson's episode of "Who Do You Think You Are", you will have noticed that her family used to own Salmon & Gluckstein (25 Long Row).

Montague Gluckstein went on to found Lyons (34 Long Row) in 1894, while Imperial Tobacco bought out the business of Salmon & Gluckstein in 1902.

Louis Gluckstein , brother of Montague was an MP for Nottingham East 1931-1945  . Louis seen here in a local factory .31515599971_3c154bdf6a.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'd be very grateful for some local knowledge to help me out with my investigations!

I'm currently researching a documentary for BBC Radio Four about pen pals and am trying to track down Rosemary Hope, whose father worked as a fashion designer in Nottingham in the '60s and '70s. I wondered whether he had any connection with the Hope Bros outfitters shop mentioned in the OP. Does anyone remember anything about the proprietors of that establishment?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Dan

Doubt she was connected to that shop .

Hope Bros appear to have been a national chain. In the 1920s their head office was Ludgate Hill , London .

Funnily enough for a fairly common name there seem to be few birth/marriage records in Nottingham for a Rosemary Hope . ( Unless Rosemary was a middle name ? and of course she could have been born anywhere and later moved to Notts).

There is a marriage in 1987 in Nottingham for a Rosemary J Hope to  a David P Izard .

On the electoral registers there is a property in Coventry with those two Izard names .

Gives her age range as 50-55 . It would be a miracle if it was the right lady but you never know !

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hope Brothers opened there store at 50/51 Long row west in 1904 they had been in business since 1880s Ann there head office Ludgate hill London. 1969 saw them move to no 3 Long row east but in1971 begin the great closing down which them disappear from the high streets of the nation. I began my working life with Hope brothers in 1967 as. Junior salesman a 16 year old just out of school. I closed the Eastbourne branch as a 20 year old manager in 1971