Whoever Said History Is Boring?

What happened to your story Michael??

Not only tanners used to pay for pee!! Dyers did too. There were alum mines in the cliffs of north Yorks, below the alum was boiled with pee to make a "fix" for cloth dyers.

Pee was also used to make explosives and believe it or not used as bleach in making whites whiter on washday....

I'm sure there were other uses for it.

A few years ago I started to study the history of the area I was living in. Thinking there was nothing of interest. What!!?? It just got too addictive. I would recommend it but don't think that nothing ever happens in quiet places. It may not always have been like that.

• Upvote 3

I loved History at school (and still do) i think it was down to a brilliant Teacher at Padstow Mr Bett,who was a bit of an eccentric,he tended to mix History with Geography and Politics and that made it all the more interesting,it certainly gave me the bug for all three,.Thankyou Mr Bett.

Education has certainly changed,

From my Secondary Modern days,i like to think i know a little about alot,but sadly i don't know alot about much. :)

• Upvote 1