Dingy cafe in beeston

Can anyone put me out of my misery. I remember as a child being very fond of a cafe roughly on the corner of beeston square opposite the bank and the traffic lights. I think it was painted blue. I remember it stank of oil and fags and had an unusual sliding door either at the front or midway in. My mother can't remember it so I'm hoping I didn't dream it!

The cafe that you mention was known as the 'square cafe',that would be around 64-65.It was dingy and smoky,but served a good working mans dinner.,and it had a sliding door into another room,that had the juke-box

Never recall it being open in the evenings.

Nottingham like all other English cities was full of greasy spoon Cafes' i love the present day 'pavement Cafe culture' just alters the whole feel of places,even Beeston and Mansfield,not much in Bulwell yet..... :)

#8 Mick you know that quid would have probably have bought the tuck shop goodies that were served through the window of Mr chambers classroom,most things in that beeston shop you got several for a £1.

I moved to Beeston in the 70s, don't remember the gentleman's outfitters

but next to that (where Tesco is now ) among other things was a building

called Charlie's Barn where my girls used to go a boogying when they where

teenagers.

Nottingham like all other English cities was full of greasy spoon Cafes' i love the present day 'pavement Cafe culture' just alters the whole feel of places,even Beeston and Mansfield,not much in Bulwell yet..... :)

Seen plenty of places in Bulwell with tables and chairs outside, but they call it eviction.

• Upvote 6
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...