• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

David - if you are at Mallaig, then you ARE a long way from Nottingham. BUT if you were to visit Compo by train (assuming trains still stopped at his station), you'd be even farther away. By my reckon

Sorry about the break, I hope the pics, the panoramic view of Harringworth Viaduct! So around a long bend and there it is, over a mile of dead straight track across the top of 90ft. high viaduct, fla

On the Antique Roadshow recently a man showed part of his 242 piece collection of what to me are rather insignificant items of railwayana, namely the builders name plate usually fixed to the driving w

Tunnels all had to be made safe. Myself (and Firbeck) have walked through all the Suburban Railway Tunnels, also the MR tunnel on the Basford Bennerley (MR) line. My son and grand-daughter and myself walked through Boughton Brake Tunnel (AKA Mummy's Tunnel) on the Bevercotes Colliery line. As far as I know it is still open but disused.

• Upvote 1

A group of people from a Nottinghamshire railways related Facebook group recently had the pleasure of a guided walk inside the Thurland Street tunnel. Accessed from the underground car park levels. It is still in very good condition apparently. I have been amazed at how much of Nottingham Victoria still remains, there is a small section of the stations Glasshouse Street wall left visible, complete with the buff coloured glazed bricks.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the other day that the eastern parapet of the GN line under Edwards Lane is still in situ.

However the site of the school, Haywood was it ? is currently being redeveloped, along with what appears to be the site of Daybrook station.

If you have any memories of trips from Nottingham to Grantham then you may be interested to know about a new quarterly magazine being launched on 23rd April 2015.

This will be the first issue, but memories and anecdotes are required for future issues.

If you are interested in perhaps seeing your own story in print then please visit www.returntograntham.co.uk for more information.

Smiffy

It is good to search for remains of old railways. Trouble is they are getting less and less all the time.

There are quite a few old lines down my end of west Wales. I use OS maps in the course of my work (satnav does not do farmyards!) and it's interesting to spot the evidence of former routes.I've found quite a few old station buildings still pretty much as they were when the railway closed, though sadly without Firbeck and Bilbraborn's treasure troves of artefacts inside. Keep intending to take my camera along to update the pics on the Disused Stations site.

I think most artefacts have been plundered by now. It was fun while it lasted. I do keep a camera handy wherever I go and am ready to photograph anything I find that is interesting.

I can remember being in York House on Mansfield Road (now being refurbished), I believe about 1967/8 and watching trains go through the tunnel going north. It was more interesting than listening to the Poly lecturers!

• Upvote 1

Scriv, about thirty years ago my company in Bishops Stortford got a contract with BP to survey and update plans of their oil distribution depots, wherever they were and whatever their size. One great adventure was to go west and check Swansea, Newcastle Emlyn and finish up at Gloucester. Swansea was huge, I resolved the problem of checking all the pipelines by standing on the highest storage tank and tracing the lines from there, then it was through the hills in the boss's Reliant Scimitar to Newcastle Emlyn where we stayed in a pub for the night. We found the depot the next day, it was tiny, next to the site of the old station and occupying the old GWR goods yard. Some of the isolated track was still in place and all the typical buildings, fences and gates were all intact, there were still the odd GWR cast iron signs around fixed with rusted in bolts to posts made of short lengths of track. A fascinating place, I doubt whether it's still there, but who knows. It was bloody cold that day and we ended up getting caught in a blizzard, Gloucester was a white out and the depot was covered in snow drifts, it was impossible to survey it so we struggled to get back to Essex, how we managed it I'll never know, our Roger's expert driving in that bloody Scimitar saved the day.

Newcastle Emlyn station is long gone mate; much of the trackbed is still traceable though. There may well be steam in the area soon too as the Teifi Valley Railway (a little narrow-gauge line which runs on the old trackbed ) is hoping to be back up and running soon. With that and the Gwili, there's quite a bit of the line preserved. The Gwili is opening its extension soon, to a new terminus just north of Carmarthen.

• 3 weeks later...

If like me, you travelled from Nottingham to Grantham to watch the trains go by you may be interested in a new magazine available now through www.returntograntham.co.uk

You can also contribute to future issues and in particular the magazine is looking to include your own memories & anecdotes of days out from Nottingham to this railway mecca.

The Return to Grantham project is run on a not for profit basis and you can find out more by visiting the website.

• 1 month later...