• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

David - if you are at Mallaig, then you ARE a long way from Nottingham. BUT if you were to visit Compo by train (assuming trains still stopped at his station), you'd be even farther away. By my reckon

Sorry about the break, I hope the pics, the panoramic view of Harringworth Viaduct! So around a long bend and there it is, over a mile of dead straight track across the top of 90ft. high viaduct, fla

On the Antique Roadshow recently a man showed part of his 242 piece collection of what to me are rather insignificant items of railwayana, namely the builders name plate usually fixed to the driving w

It was when I went on a guided tour a couple of years ago.

The other one came up for auction not long ago. The name plates of ex-GWR Bulwell Hall and Wollaton Hall are both at the Wollaton Park industrial Museum. As is the nameplate off Stanier Pacific (better known to us kids as Semis) City of Nottingham. That is unless someone has swiped them.

Somewhere on a previous thread I posted these two images. They were too small. I have increased their size. As spotters will know, they were taken at Basford and Bulwell LNER station, and show the line coming in from and going to Daybrook. If anything gets my nostalgia buds oozing its is remembering the days I sat alongside Dobby bridge, in the background, watching trains come round the bend off the Great Central Line, or diving down into the rat-hole on the way to the GC and Victoria. Also, the squealing sounds of engines' wheels on the curve up to Bulwell Common. Like it was yesterday I remember 'Liverpool' just idly rolling past me having come from Daybrook.

eb3a7324-dec0-4301-bc8e-53703c7829f1_zps

• Upvote 4
  • 6 months later...

Too right. Either cycling locally or getting the train to such as Manchester or even further. And the classes. Jubilees were about the Empire. Scots about the regiments. Not to mention the the western Halls, Castles, Granges and Manors. Then if you liked Walter Scott there were plenty of ex-LNER locos to help you out. What an education.

Sorry about that. Never mind. One could learn about King Arthur by standing on Southampton Station. But the Patriots confused me. Why did Eric Sykes get a naming but not Hattie Jacques. (sorry)

A couple of long names I remember:-

A V2 class loco (60809) was called "The Snapper, The East Yorkshire Regiment, The Duke of York's Own"

Another V2 (60835) was called "The Green Howard, Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment"

What a great thread.

My favourite spotting place was Grantham, in the late 50s. 'All trainspotters for Nottingham and Derby must leave on the 3 o'clock train', just as the down Elizabethan steamed through. I tried the Midland at Derby and Tamworth, but the locos, with their insides hanging out, didn't appeal. Got all the streaks except Empire of India, and copped the last A1, Bonnie Dundee, at Waverley in 61.

Have any of you tried the simulations by SIAM or PCRail?