The film 'Trainspotting' is on Film 4 on Tuesday at 10.45pm, but looking at trains doesn't feature much in it!! More looking down a toilet if I remember rightly!

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

David - if you are at Mallaig, then you ARE a long way from Nottingham. BUT if you were to visit Compo by train (assuming trains still stopped at his station), you'd be even farther away. By my reckon

Sorry about the break, I hope the pics, the panoramic view of Harringworth Viaduct! So around a long bend and there it is, over a mile of dead straight track across the top of 90ft. high viaduct, fla

On the Antique Roadshow recently a man showed part of his 242 piece collection of what to me are rather insignificant items of railwayana, namely the builders name plate usually fixed to the driving w

https://www.facebook.com/100003018893984/videos/816562108454411/

The Son & his Wife had a rough ride last weekend, first class too ! They were glad to get off at Grantham but the train was Inverness- Kings Cross.

I recall the field alongside the line, just south of the low level station, but only because there was a greasy spoon cafe, from which I nicked a metal ashtray. It was red, with Players Please embossed around the rim, and my mum gave me a right old bollocking when I got home. I never took to the LMR locos, which were far too nobbly for my tastes. Cries of 'semi', 'pate'. prinny' etc were a foreign language.

Hi Jim....commenting about your post....I think it might be where your nearest railway line was to you as to which branch of the railways you supported lol. Being as I lived only a matter of yards away from the Nottm- Derby line, LMS engines were my favourites. 8Fs, 2Ps..Blackies..Jubes and Duck 6s all used that line. I once copped a Jubilee class " Gilbert and Ellice Islands" at Beeston....that was rare ha h ha The W H Smith bookshop that was situated in the waiting room at Beeston only sold the Ian Allen loco spotters books for the Midland Region

Do you remember when Warspite came in on the up Waverley. 61 I think.

Yes, women and work commitments always manage to spoil good hobbies.

My hobby now is visiting all the heritage railways....Done quite a few, but still more to go.....going to go on the Plym valley railway in May. Maybe visit the Bodmin and Wenford railway again in the same holiday

Same here. I like the South Devon Rly, and the West Somerset. Doing the KWVR and East Lancs when it's my birthday.

GC still my favourite obviously. Gods Chosen Rly.

I did Aviemore when I was in Scotland a few years ago.....don't know if there are any more up there, but if there is I don't think I'll be going. Severn Valley is a good one as is NYM. The worst I've been on was Teifi valley in Wales. With being an ex railway man, I get good discounts, in fact, I was allowed to travel free on the Snowdon Mountain railway.. Can't beat blowing your own trumpet can you l;ol

Done Aviemore, lovely. NYM brilliant, done it many times. Not done SVR, I'm not really a fan of the Gas Works Rly. LOL

If it burns coal to cook the water I don't quibble about who used to own it! Besides, with regard to the Severn Valley, they aren't limited to BR Mark 1 coaches like so many of the heritage railways. Complete rake of LMS stock, and another of LNER, as well as plenty of GWR stuff. That adds an additional dimension.

It certainly does Stephen. Personally I love Gresley teak. So stylish and luxurious.

I was just being nit picky about GWR stuff.

I've just finished reading John Wooleys book Toton Engineman and what a great read it was. I was particularly taken by his description of his first day at Toton MPD in October 1954 it conjured up some very evocative memories of my first day at Colwick MPD some 8 years later in july 1962. Like John I had applied to join the railway some weeks before, I had been invited to attend the MPD and take the entrance test (as far as I can remember the only requirement was an ability to read or write not necessarily both.) Having passed the test I was sent home to await the letter inviting me to attend for the medical and eyesight test at Lincoln included was a letter of introduction to the MO and a free pass for the train. I then had to return home and await the letter telling me whether I had passed or not. After an agonising wait of about a week the letter came instructing me to attend for duties as an engine cleaner on Monday 27 July. After an excitably sleepless night and on a lovely summers morning I cycled to Colwick (from Meadow Lane) and reported to the clerk in the front office. After a short wait a little man in blue overalls and a fedora hat arrived and I was introduced to the very aptly named George Mallard the Chargehand cleaner. After a short familiarisation tour of the MPD I was taken to the stores where I was issued with my two pairs of bib and braces overalls two overall jackets, my Rulebook (which I still have today) and my coveted footplatemans grease top cap with its blue LNER badge. I was in seventh heaven I was actually in the shed without having to worry about being spotted and chased out. I was then taken to meet the rest of the cleaning gang for instruction on how to go about the job of cleaning railway engines. Yes the job was dirty and hard working amongst the smoke, oil and grime but it was a job I loved I can't go to a preserved railway today and smell the smoke and steam without drifting back to that most enjoyable period of my working life which was cut short by Dr Beeching. I am sure that many ex footplatemen among the Nostalgia fraternity will share very similar memories of there first day on the railway.

• Upvote 3
  • 1 year later...
On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2014 at 2:49 PM, Smiffy49 said:

Hello Chulla,

That's a lovely piece you have put together there and it brought back many happy memories !

Those engines all had evocative interesting names, from race horses, notable dignitaries or wild birds, names that played with a youngsters imagination.

I am always looking to add "specific" memories like yours relating to days out at Grantham Station to my website www.returntograntham.co.uk

One of the pages on there is entitled "Spotters Corner" so it would be great if you could contribute anything you remember about your visits.

There are also many photographs showing the station and shed during the 1950's & 60's.

Smiffy

Hello Chulla,

Since I first posted the above, way back in 2014, a new website has been created that I am sure you will enjoy:- www.tracksthroughgrantham.uk

We are in particular looking for memories from people who visited Grantham Station from Nottingham, so if you or anyone else can help, that would be great.

Thanks! Smiffy