Notts County v Gillingham

Notts took the three points in a tough game against Gillingham. They had their goalkeeper, Roy Carroll, to thank as he saved a penalty with only ten minutes left on the clock. Things are going well for Shaun Derry's team.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Notts-County-1-Gillingham-0-Match-report/story-23044009-detail/story.html

• Upvote 3

Usual big crowd I notice !

Poor Notts, always playing second fiddle to Forest. They're having a much better start to the season this year so let's hope the success continues. Wouldn't it be great to have both teams up there!

• Upvote 5

Lizzie, you mean us Reds in the Prem and Notts in the Championship don't you? You do don't you? Don't you !

• Upvote 3

Poor Notts, always playing second fiddle to Forest. They're having a much better start to the season this year so let's hope the success continues. Wouldn't it be great to have both teams up there!

With respect Lizzie Notts have not always played second fiddle to Forest. I agree it seems like it but there was a time when Notts County were the top football club in Nottingham. I know it was a long time ago but it is a fact. You've probably gathered I'm a Notts fan and like you I'd like to see both clubs prosper.

• Upvote 2

History lessons from the Notts fraternity again. I don't want to be obnoxious, but Notts have mostly played second fiddle to Forest.

Check the record books !

You are 100% correct basfordred. I know very well without checking any record books that Notts have mostly played second fiddle to Forest but fail to understand why you've reacted as you have when I respectfully and politely stated that Notts have not always played second fiddle to Forest. I found your response rather impolite to be frank.

Sorry Mess, didn't intend for it to come over that way.

• Upvote 1

Apology accepted.

No doubt Mr Pearce has really got Forest buzzing.This could be your season after so many disappointments. As for Notts I'm just pleased to see the huge improvement oafter last seasons problems

• Upvote 2

I enjoyed footy most in the late 70's to early 80's when the old 1st Div consisted of Forest, Notts, Leics, Derby, Cov , B'ham , Villa, WBA, Stoke, Sheffield Utd, Sheffield Wed, Barnsley. Not many miles to travel away, mainly good beer, not much Mi to London for 5hit beer.

Happy days....... I think LOL

• Upvote 3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nottingham_derby#mediaviewer/File:Notts_graph.JPG

This graph illustrates the Notts County vs Nottingham Forest finishing league positions for the years 1898-2010.

The last time Notts finished above Forest was very briefly in the mid 1970s but apart from a few years at the start of the 20th century Notts have mostly played second fiddle to Forest.

I think in general you're either a Notts or Forest supporter based on your family's preference. All my mother's family supported Notts going right back to their heyday in the 1920s.

My dad took me to my first Notts game in the 1959/60 season when they had just been relegated to the old 4th Division. Forest had won the FA Cup in May 1959 and my dad, a full blooded Notts fan went down to Wembley to support them. Nearly all my school friends supported Forest as did my work mates when I lived in Nottingham until 1972 so you can imagine all the banter that went on. You certainly develop a thick skin as a Notts supporter!

Sure my life would have been easier if I'd supported Forest but I didn't. I'm proud to follow Notts as I'm sure all Forest supporters are to follow the Reds. I wish all local clubs well including Derby and Mansfield. Life's too short to fall out with people about football. It's a only a game and people are dying in other parts of the world. Let's not forget that.

• Upvote 2

I wasn't interested in footy till I'd started work (1962) and some of the older lads took me to Forest a few times getting me pi55ed along the way.

Music and my ex took over my life until the mid 70's when a new intake of workers all supported Forest. I was persuaded to go but my ex said we should try three games at Notts and three games at Forest. Notts had two defeated and a draw, Forest had three wins. Nuff said. I was a Red from 74 until Paul Hart was sacked.

I never disliked Notts until one home game when Jimmy Squirrel played five centre halves and won at the City Ground with a last minute header from who else, Big Les Bradd. I collapsed over the wall in front of the Main Stand.

Years later, I was in the Clough Stand and Notts won 2-1, I threw my season ticket onto the pitch. No on wanted it as it was handed in within a few days.

Happy times.

• Upvote 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nottingham_derby#mediaviewer/File:Notts_graph.JPG

I think in general you're either a Notts or Forest supporter based on your family's preference. All my mother's family supported Notts going right back to their heyday in the 1920s.

In my family Dad was born in Langley Mill & supported Derby, Mam was born in Sheffield & supported Wednesday, SWMBO is from Hucknall & supports Forest, & I was born in the Meadows (Waterway Street between Arkwright Street & London Road) & support Notts coz I was born near there.. When Forest win & Notts lose SWMBO gloats & I sulk, & vice-versa, if they both draw there's peace, sort of.. :)

• Upvote 2

My outlaws are all Notts fans. When we have a family meet up on a Saturday night, I want it to be when Forest win well, and Notts lose heavily so I can wear one of my Forest shirts and gloat (I'm a bad winner, never mind loser) It rarely works out like that unfortunately.

• Upvote 3

When Forest win & Notts lose SWMBO gloats for England, she has this smirk that annoys me & turns me on at the same time, talk about mixed emotions. When the opposite happens (not very often) she sulks & I end up feeling sorry for her, why do I always fall for it? :)

If that's the case colly, make love to her in your Notts shirt. LOL

• Upvote 1

My wifes from Exeter,and don't give a 'monkeys',used to take her to Notts and Forest and all she liked was Pedro Richards legs.

• Upvote 1

Have you had her seen to !

I was never into watching football until the 1966 World Cup. I remember going up to our train bridge on the day Forest won the cup in 1959 and the streets were empty, they were all home watching the match on TV.

Eventually I was persuaded to go and watch a Forest match, probably by Bilbraborn, it was a friendly against Dukla Prague that Forest won 3-1. Compared to what I'd seen on an old black and white TV, I found it incredible, played under floodlights, the colours of the pitch and players shirts were really amazing as was the noise and atmosphere, I was hooked after that. Yes, I know this is a Notts thread, but I used to go and see them with my old man, a lifelong fan, as well. I don't know what he would have thought of that rubbish involving Sven, probably seen through it from the beginning.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...