Norton Street, Radford

Welcome, Christine.  I remember Norton Street from my childhood. Up Radford Boulevard, left into Hartley Road and right into Norton Street, past the fragrant Barnett Sweet Factory, en route to see relatives in Garden Street between 1958 and 65.  The film brings back many memories of that area and era.

Many years since I last visited but I couldn't get my bearings at all.

Welcome Christine, sincerely hope you visit Nottstalgia with memories of Norton Street. I lived on Denton Street, just off Denman Street, (just a little way up from Norton street). Look forward to more posts.

Incidentally, I too was in S.& S.M.

6 hours ago, Christine ward said:

Hi everyone l was born on norton street my father and brothers are in the flim Saturday night and Sunday morning 

Can you say in exactly which part of the film ?    I might be able to look through it and find the relevant scene.

I had a cousin, Brian Burton, who lived at 50 Norton St. when he first.married in the 50’s. He became a coal merchant (Harby’s Fuels). He later went on to become the landlord of the Red Lion at Stow on the Wold. Coincidentally his sister was the landlord, at the same time, of another Red Lion at Bicker, Lincs.

On the corner of Norton Street and Hartley Road was a large building which, I believe, was a children's home.

The walls around it were constructed of sandstone which, in places, was badly eroded and honeycombed. To me, as a very young child in my pushchair, it looked like the inside of a Crunchie bar and I thought it was edible!  I invariably asked my mum, as we passed, to let me take a bite. She'd tell me not to be so silly and give me that nonplussed look that often came my way when I was little!

Needless to say, it has now all gone. Maybe someone ate it!

• Like 2

That was known as ,'Hartley road home', a bloke I used to know went there as a nipper. He had no idea who his parents were.