Norton Street, Radford

Does anybody have a photo of the former butcher's shop on the corner of Norton Street & Byfield Street, no 151? That was my great-grandfather's house and I remember visiting my gt-grandma, who still lived there until just before she died, aged 97, in the early 80s. The house was entered, from Byfield Street, through a back yard with the outside toilet on one side, and the back door into the tiny kitchen on the other. There was only one water tap, no plumbed-in hot water system. For all the time I remember visiting there, she lived in just the one room. There was a door down to the coal-cellar in the left corner of this room, and in the right corner another door through to what I suppose could be called the entrance hall. The front door also opened onto Byfield Street, and there was another door through to the shop. The shop windows had always been boarded up, as was the shop door that was actually on the corner of the two streets. The house was 3 storeys, and I once went up, only the ground and first had electricity, the top floor was not electric. I can't remember why we went up, as she was only living in the one room.

My father has just (October 2014) visited the exhibition about the great war in the Castle, and found out about his uncle Cyril, who joined the Sherwood Foresters from 151 Norton Street, and was killed at Arras in July 1917. As I also remember visiting the house - once passing out after too many mushy peas and rides at Goose Fair - I'd be interested in anybody else's memories and especially of a photo.

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

davidbird,

Welcome to Nottstalgia.

I'm pretty sure someone will be able to help you with your research. There are people on Nottstalgia with all manner of Knowledge about Nottingham. Who I am sure will be happy to help you.

• Upvote 1

This might be the closest you'll get, which is an aerial view which doesn't quite show it. :cool:

NORTON.jpg

Byfield Street would be the next road down (parallel to Independent St) off the bottom of the photo if it extended a bit further.

Thanks for your replies. The closest I've managed to find is this from PictureThePast here

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM003282&prevUrl=

Barnett's Sweet Factory, corner of Hartley Road and Norton Street.

NTGM003282.jpg

I remember walking past the gates/doors to the factory, but not what was inside.

Today's Google Streetview image http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/streetview?size=640x640&pano=TzrofLjvDFVQK1T_Y_bRVQ&heading=-168.69952570671796&fov=71.59828353794268&pitch=0.10868026872892145&sensor=false

That is indeed the nearest you will get to your butchers shop on Picture the Past...the shop was opposite the hospital section of the workhouse some fifty yards up the road.

A highly detailed aerial shot on 'Britain from Above' frustratingly also ends some fifty yards from 'the target'

....and if open all you would have seen through those doors at Barnetts would have been the loading bay and the vans.

Thanks, all.

This is the link which I found after my father had told me about his visit to the Castle exhibition last week, and it was reading this that got me thinking about the house in Radford.

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/rollofhonour/People/Details/13696

Actually, the old lady that I knew as my Great-Grandma, was my Gt-grandfather's (George Bird, Cyril's father) 2nd wife, so my step-gt-grandmother. She was Agnes Bird. As I mentioned, she was pretty elderly in the 1970s, and she was looked after by a freind-and-neighbour, who we knew simply as Mrs Bell - I think she lived at 155 or 157 Norton Street, about halfway between the shop on the corner, and the south end of the factory.

Anybody remember these names?

I've just found this document, dated June 1981, http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=23&ved=0CCwQFjACOBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nottinghaminsight.org.uk%2Fd%2F93893%2FDownload%2FEnterprise%2FAdopted-Highways-Register%2FColeridge-Street-%2829014580%29%2F&ei=uZc7VMqoF4yu7Abnr4CoCA&usg=AFQjCNGk-aDnglnZO4vE2n9kpmmVfA8VOg&sig2=WvpMB54z7X3XG89a524nSQ&bvm=bv.77161500,d.ZGU (opens up a pdf file) which gives details of the stopping up of Byfield Street and other roads around there.

From the maps with it, it seems that all the housing and the Sweet factory were demolished before the road layout was changed.

There must have been some protest, as the second half of the documents there have a revised order, July 1982, which only stops-up "the northern footway and carriageway of Byfield Street".

Google Streetview https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9597088,-1.1732448,3a,75y,289.39h,87.54t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sMBAKH9EfcWlBLiJVG2mLzQ!2e0 shows the footpath next to the school, and I do remember my only visit to the area after redevelopment seeing this footpath, which is now all that remains of Byfield Street. My Gt-grandma's house must have been about where the 3rd of the block in the streetview image is now.

Anybody have a view from before redevoplment?

I found this item, Melissa.

On Norton Street there was an institution hospital which I believe belonged to the workhouse children's training institute. In 1880, when the Radford Union was merged into the Nottingham Union, the building was then used as a school and industrial training institution. Girls were taught domestic service and boys worked with local tradesmen and other types of businesses in the area; they were sent out to work between the ages of 14-16 years. The buildings were demolished in 1961. But education is still local to the area, with the Mellors Primary School just a few yards away from where the institution once stood.
Read more at http://www.nottinghampost.com/Sarah-Seaton-Nottingham-changing-canvas/story-20882979-detail/story.html#uZsXXbHqaPBO5AYM.99

I've been speaking with my father again, and he says as long as he can remember, the shop part was always boarded up. Oldmaps seems to suggest that part of Radford was built around 1880. As his grandfather worked at Raleigh, and he was living there in 1911, it seems like the butcher's shop may have actually been boarded up for far longer than it was a shop!

davidbird...Re 151 Norton Street

Thought you'd like to see this from 1898/9 Wrights Directory of Norton Street.I've not been able to work out the abbreviations after the name...but it 'aint a butchers.

wvbako.jpg

• Upvote 1

This slightly different angle of the sweet factory shows the quite substantial three storey houses just before Byfield Street.They were built in the early 1890s.The factory was built later, just after the turn of the century.

a316z9.jpg

davidbird...Re 151 Norton Street

Thought you'd like to see this from 1898/9 Wrights Directory of Norton Street.I've not been able to work out the abbreviations after the name...but it 'aint a butchers.

wvbako.jpg

#17 point of interest according to Kelly's directory of 1891

No 151 Norton Street

Elijah Skill Grocer &

John Priestley Builder

So, no butchers or Birds at 151 in 1891 or 1898.

It was definitely a butcher's shop at some stage as I remember seeing the meat hooks in the ceiling of the front corner room - or at least I was told they were meat hooks. I can't see what else they would have been.

This slightly different angle of the sweet factory shows the quite substantial three storey houses just before Byfield Street.They were built in the early 1890s.The factory was built later, just after the turn of the century.

a316z9.jpg

Great picture. One of the houses on the very left edge of that picture would have been where my Gt-grandma's friendandneighbour, Mrs Bell, lived.

I have been through all my directories which go up to 1972 & I can find no record of a butchers shop in fact for the last 50 years or so I can find no record of No 151 being at shop at all

P.S.

Unless it was a shop between 1950 - 1967 a period for which I have no directory.

... in fact for the last 50 years or so I can find no record of No 151 being at shop at all

It certainly wasn't, as I've established my Gt-grandfather, George Bird, was there by 1911, and he worked at Raleigh. As long as my father can remember (he's 83 today! - 24th Oct) it was boarded up, so not a shop at all.

How far back do your directories go?

Take a l....o....n....g time

The Kelly's directories go to over 1,000 pages each & I have eight of those.

The most interesting bits are the adverts

I have a Morris directory of 1869 which has over 170 pages of adverts

But I have answered a lot of queries & sorted out one or two problems using them.