Chapel at Mapperley Hospital

Just caught part of this programme on BBC 2 , called Restoring Englands Heritage , hosted by Selina Scott .

It featured a piece about the ornate chapel that is gradually crumbling away at the converted asylum complex at Mapperley .

For Bubblewrap there is also a piece about Taylors Bell Foundry at Loughborough .

On iplayer for a few weeks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03k1zk1/restoring-englands-heritage-east-midlands

Watched it too. It's a disgrace that some property speculator has allowed it to fall into such disrepair in the hope of making a quick buck.

Duncan McMillan must be spinning in his grave (in between walking the corridors). As might my dad be - he worked there for over 40 years.

Some 'good' parties were had there in the early 60's. More later.........

Our crowd of reprobates attended several riotous parties there due to Dr McMillans son Graham knowing several of my friends.

On one occasion I was disgusted with the attendees as much beer spilled from bottles and glasses into the inside of the grand piano, and people were opening beer bottles by banging the tops on the stone mantle piece thereby chipping the edge off.

Graham had got a large barrel of beer in the hall propped up with a large baking tray underneath being used as a drip tray.

I vaguely remember waking up laying on my back with my head in the tray and wrapped in a carpet.

Another great memory !

I visited the old chapel and recreational room( below the chapel) just over a year ago. Both areas are in a very bad state.

You will find many photographs on -Facebook Nottingham Hospitals History and an excellent narrative on Mapperley Hospital.

I am the archivist for the Nottingham Nurses League and have many old photographs but despite numerous people including Mick T helping I have no more idea that the man in the moon how to do it!

Kind regards

Tony

Mellissa,

Some of my old photographs are on the NUH's website under Nottingham Nurses League or try Nottingham Hospitals History and scroll through photos etc.

I am not able to post on this site.

Were you associated with the Nottingham hospitals?

Kind regards,

Tony

• Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...

It's a shame that such places were closed and 'care in the community' came about. Whilst there were many inside those institutions who should have never been, there are still many unbalanced people, some with criminal leanings, caused by their mental condition, who would benefit society and themselves by being in a protected environment. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1