What childhood games did you play?

I remember they seemed to have seasons ie: Marballs, conkers, soap carts (trollies) etc

Roger

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

looking back in my childhood we really knew how to play...many of us lived a simple life and money was short..but we really loved the outdoors... watching my grandsons sit on a skate board whizzing do

Think this might have been the BMW of trolleys ! I don't think we would have dared to have joined our trolleys together down somewhere like Kenrick Rd but this extract from Clive James Unreliable M

I have a photo of my Dad standing outside his home around 1930 and there beside him is a lovely 'trolley' probably built for him by my Grandad.

Posted Images

There were also Bigger marbles too

And you were someone, if you had shiney ball bearings.

The bigger the better.

And cigarette cards stood up against the fence, flirt another card at em,

knock em over to win em?

Also the cards which were sold with a stick of chewing gum (collect em all)

Hi Mick,

Forgot about the cards, could be another post," What cards did you collect?"

Brooke Bond tea cards, remember them?

Yes, we played that too. Also played Queenie, Queenie, who's got the ball. What time is it Mr. Wolf. Whip and top, around pancake day [chalk your design on the top]. Rump stick a bum, here I come. Leapfrog. Two balls up against a wall, always reciting a rhyme while you did this. Skipping rope. [again reciting a rhyme] Hedge hopping. Hide and seek. Spirit tapping.

• Like 1

In the winter, the locals lads would get a tin can, poke holes in it, put string through 2 at the top, then fill it with bits of paper and wood, light it and swing it round. We called it a winter warmer. We'd also get 2 cans, put 2 holes near the top, tie string in a loop, and walk on them, holding onto the string. I think there was also a game called Bulldog.

I remember them. 5 pastel coloured cubes. You used to throw so many up in the air, and pick up the rest from the ground and catch the lot.

I had a diabalo as a kid, anyone remember those? And a yo-yo that I could never do tricks with.

Without a doubt the most dangerous school play ground game that I encountered as a kid was the exotically named "Rum, Stick a bum, here I come!", to which Red refers in an earlier post........involving as many kids as possible running at a wall and piling on top of one another to form a pyramid.

IIRC, in the mid 50's a dreadful accident occurred when the supporting wall collapsed under the weight of 20+ kids at The King's School, Grantham??** - one fatality and several very serious injuries. Thereafter, the Education Committee banned the game in all the Nottingham City Schools - under the threat of compulory expulsion.

Anyone remember this lethal game...or is my advanced age exposed yet again?

Cheers

Robt P.

**Thatcher's school...pity she wasn't in the pyramid, perhaps because she never associated with the rough kids.

Rob, If she had done she would have sent in an American businessman, done an assessment, shut down the schools as being non profitable, demolished the buildings and built retail parks on them and destroyed the community. as in the coal mines.

LOL.......brilliant........rather accurate too!

Many elderly Grantham folk who knew her wouldn't, to this day, p*** on her if she was on fire.

Not 100% certain over the location of the dreadful accident - hence my question marks - reckon it was either The Kings', or Oakham School.

It was certainly that local....I'll ask Mr G. Oogle.

Cheers

Robt P.

Does anyone remember Kernackers? jeez they were bloody dangerous,hard plastic balls on string,which you had to clack together over your arms so that they clacked together,which they did, but of course when they fell they landed on your arms,wrist,knuckles etc. I used to be black & blue. My mum took them off us & hid them in the top cupboard,which was supposedly out of bounds !tony! not when you stood on the armchair it wasn't .............LOL

Does anyone remember Kernackers? jeez they were bloody dangerous,hard plastic balls on string,which you had to clack together over your arms so that they clacked together,which they did, but of course when they fell they landed on your arms,wrist,knuckles etc. I used to be black & blue. My mum took them off us & hid them in the top cupboard,which was supposedly out of bounds !tony! not when you stood on the armchair it wasn't .............LOL

I remember those Caz my children had them for a short while until it was reported that many were braking do to stresses in the plastic balls….never realised you were that young Hmmmmm……..now I know I’m ancient…dam olay and these stupid tablets I bought off the internet, both produces promised so much… :Fool:

Our rum stick a bum wasn't as dangerous as the school playing ground one. I remember that 1 person bent over and grabbed the fence, another ran up behind and jumped on their back [much like mounting a horse!] then someone else bent down behind, hanging on to the first person, and so on. I can't ever remember forming a pyramid.

Who remembers conkers? Lethal little buggers, they were. We used to either soak, or boil them in vinegar to make that like concrete. I used to close my eyes when the lads tried to whack mine, as I knew my knuckles were in for it.

• Upvote 1

We played a game called may I cross your shining water, where you had to do squashed tomatoes, mirrors, giant strides and fairy steps.

I can remember a shop at the bottom of Carleton Road that sold clay pipes and using them for bubbles.

Hoola Hoops - good exercise but afraid I'd be useless now!

Our rum stick a bum wasn't as dangerous as the school playing ground one. I remember that 1 person bent over and grabbed the fence, another ran up behind and jumped on their back [much like mounting a horse!] then someone else bent down behind, hanging on to the first person, and so on.

Not sure if that's called rum sticka bum Katy!!?? LOL ha ha ;)

There was a few strange lads in my year that used to play " bums & willy's " ??

Can't say i joined in , they wouldn't let me play .

Red

Nowadays they call that "Diversity"

Which reminds me, did I ever tell you that I work with Derby supporters.

Me Dad sez "It takes all sorts"

Referring to Snobs - does anyone remember the rules. They were 5 cubes about 1" square and you threw them in the air and picked others up and caught the thrown ones again before they hit the ground. I think there were 10 stages.