• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

looking back in my childhood we really knew how to play...many of us lived a simple life and money was short..but we really loved the outdoors... watching my grandsons sit on a skate board whizzing do

Think this might have been the BMW of trolleys ! I don't think we would have dared to have joined our trolleys together down somewhere like Kenrick Rd but this extract from Clive James Unreliable M

I have a photo of my Dad standing outside his home around 1930 and there beside him is a lovely 'trolley' probably built for him by my Grandad.

Posted Images

I remember handstands against the wall (after tucking your skirt in your knickers!).

I can bend the back of my hand backwards so was good at snobs as well. All I can remember are '9 flies' and 'laying eggs' but I agree there were some other sequences.

I remember doing 'skitter scatter' on grass. You held crossed hands with another girl and spun round and round till you were dizzy and fell down.

At our school there were some tree stumps at the edge of the playground so we used to play 'tiggy off ground'. Great fun when there were 4 of you trying to stay safe on one tree stump.

Just remembered 'stuck in the mud' as well - even still playing it in the playground during the first year at secondary school!!

• Upvote 3

We called it dobby off ground. There was also Red Rover - something to do with girls holding hands in a line and calling a girl from the opposite line "Red Rover, Red Rover, we call Jane over" who had to try to break through your line. Also "What time is it, Mr Wolf?"

• Upvote 3

Why is it only the girls seemed to have the co-ordanation for that?................mind you ive still got all me 'snobs' :biggrin:

us men can hold three pints in both hands and wobble as well.

• Upvote 2

Just before Bonfire Night a roups of us lads would knock on the doors around Forest Fields asking for any old furniture for the bonfire. If we were lucky to get two armchais with casters we would race them down the pavements on either side of Premier Road. The onl problem was stopping them and getting three or four boys off them before you careered onto Gregory Boulevard. I recall getting into big trouble at home for scuffing some shoes used as break pads!

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

I have just remembered a game we used to play.

We would pick the thorns from a wild rose stem and stick them on our noses. Then we would pretend to be Rhinossarosserusses? and chase each other round the garden!

Marvelous what you can play with a little imagination. :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

I remember that well carnie great fun, I still play it when I have a silly ten minuets with my youngest grandchild.

Rhinossarosserusses! brilliant word carnie you were always good at spelling.

• Upvote 1

I made a go-kart (or trolley as we called them) from an old pram & some wood I found dumped on the old central railway sidings (near Glapton Road) down the Meadows. Only problem was there were no hills to charge down so I had to scoot it along. Had a couple of crashes on it but I survived, one crash was caused by the steering string snapping & then ramming a wall.. :)

You can't get the pram wheels these days. All that is available are the tiny buggy wheels, which are neither use nor ornament :(

Our little gang had a trolley made by my friend's dad. It had wings and we called it the "E Type Trolley"

• Upvote 1

Sledging was the big thing in Annesley Rows, brillo pad the runners or you would get on the Choch (Church) Hill.

I lived in the rows for a while whilst 'wokkin at Annsli pit'. I lived on Byron Road. Behind me was the hill to the church, complete with its recording of church bells! The hill was perfect for sledging.

My family moved to Gladehill Road into a new council house when I was just under 5yrs old. for teh next five years there were fields all around us. One field was infested with rosebay willowherb which we called the "Deep weeds", us being only tiny. this was part of an abandoned allotment scheme from WWII. A small group of us used to go up to the deep weeds and make pathways through them in order to play jungle warfare. We had dens in the weeds and tracks leading all over the place. The den was, of course, sanctuary where the enemy could not get you :)

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...

# 89 we still play with these with the grandchildren, but they haven't quite worked out the rhythm for keeping it going. We have to stand behind them and guide their hands

• Upvote 1

What about what time is it Mr Wolf?

And Cowboys and Indians always s had sore knees,mucky hands and grubby faces.we also have fished for sharks in Bulwell park lake just stifle backs really in jam jars tied in string!

We still play 'What time is it Mr Wolf?" with the grandchildren - they love it.... but not Cowboys and Indians. Why did all the old films portray the Indians as the baddies, anyway? We've collected frogspawn into jam jars with them but not sticklebacks or minnows.

• 9 months later...

I thought the list below might evoke some memories of how we used to spend our spare time before the advent of t.v. video games etc.

GAMES FROM THE PAST
Alphabet Games
Bad Egg
Battleships
Blind Man’s Buff
Blow Football
British Bulldog
Bumps
Buttercup Game
Capture The Flag
Cartwheels
Cat And Mouse
Cat’s Cradle
Charades
Chinese Whispers
Cigarette Card Skimming
Clapping Games
Conkers
Consequences
Cops And Robbers
Crabs
Dips
Dusty Bluebells
Farmer’s in His Den
Five Stones
Follow My Leader
Four Corners
French Cricket
French Skipping
Grandmother’s Footsteps
Hand Shadows
Handstands
Hangman
Hat Game
Headstands
Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush
Hide And Seek
Hopscotch
Hot Potato
Hunt The Slipper
Husky Bum
I Sent A Letter To My Love
I Spy
Jacks
Kerb Or Wall
Kim’s Game
Kiss Chase
Knock Down Ginger
Ladder Of Legs
Leapfrog
Lolly Sticks
Marbles
May I?
Murder In The Dark
Musical Chairs
Noughts And Crosses
Nuts in May
Oranges And Lemons
Pass The Balloon
Pass The Parcel
Piggy In The Middle
Pin The Tail on The Donkey
Please Mr Crocodile
Poohsticks
Poor Puss
Port And Starboard
Postman’s Knock
Queenie
Ring A Ring Of Roses
Simon Says
Skipping Games
Sleeping Lions
Spillikins
Stone, Paper, Scissors
Stone Skimming
Tag
Three Legged Race
Tiddlywinks
Tin Can Tommy
Tongue Twisters
Traffic Lights
Truth or Dare
Twenty Questions
What Time Is It Mr Wolf?
Wheelbarrow Race
Whip And Top
Wink Murder
Yellow Car

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There are a lot on that list I've never heard of before! We did have a lot of fun as kids though didn't we, indoors and out. We got plenty of fresh air and mucky knees.

• Upvote 1