• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

looking back in my childhood we really knew how to play...many of us lived a simple life and money was short..but we really loved the outdoors... watching my grandsons sit on a skate board whizzing do

Think this might have been the BMW of trolleys ! I don't think we would have dared to have joined our trolleys together down somewhere like Kenrick Rd but this extract from Clive James Unreliable M

I have a photo of my Dad standing outside his home around 1930 and there beside him is a lovely 'trolley' probably built for him by my Grandad.

Posted Images

Hi BIGAL

Just noticed from your public details that you live in Rise Park - near to me in Heronridge.

Do you frequent the Charles II ?

Cowboys and Indians. I also had a davey crocket hat, was dead proud of that!

What about Hop Scotch, Chalking squares on the flagstones was a doddle but a bit more artistry was called for on the tarmac, Was it eight squares or ten? can't remember now

Rog

I'd forgotten about hopscotch. We all played that, it was 10 squares. 1 on the bottom, then 2 & 3 above, then 4 etc finishing with number 10 on the top.

• 3 weeks later...
I'd forgotten about hopscotch. We all played that, it was 10 squares. 1 on the bottom, then 2 & 3 above, then 4 etc finishing with number 10 on the top.

There used to be a rhyme that went with Hopscotch. Something like:

One potato, two potato, three potato, four.

Five potato, six potato, seven potato, more.

Can't remember the rest. If anyone can add to it, they get to forego their Altzheimers medication for the day. <grin>

Hugs Alison

Alison, we did 'one potato' etc when eliminating someone to find who was going to be 'it'. We'd stand in a circle, fists out front, and one by one, the hands were eliminated, a bit like eeny meeny miny mo.

Dobby off ground

But why did we call it "Dobby" when the rest of the world called it "tag"?

I think it goes along with "suckers" actually being "iced lollies"!

Remember playing CONKERS in the autumn, but first you had to collect them, never satisfied with the windfalls you had to throw sticks into the tree and knock em out, many a time I've been hit on the head with my returning stick, probably explains a lot though thinking about it.

Rog

Having acquired a sizable horse chestnut was the easy bit. Then there were all sorts of secret recipes to make them super tough.

From soaking them in vinegar to partially baking them in the oven. If you put brown shoe polish on them before baking it stopped them drying out and cracking.

Hugs Alison

Ayup Alison,

Thanks for the recipes to make my conkers tougher!!!! funny how we find a better way of doing things when we don't do them any more I'll try it though this autumn.

What about them Jacko roller skates that you tied to your plimpsols?

Rog

• 3 months later...
We played a game called may I cross your shining water, where you had to do squashed tomatoes, mirrors, giant strides and fairy steps.

I can remember a shop  at the bottom of Carleton Road that sold clay pipes and using them for bubbles.

blimey, for 50 years i've thought that was CHINESE water ????????

Anyone remember snobs

yes, i got some off ebay, but when i throw them in the air only a couple land on my hand, not 5. !hand!

Practice makes Perfect

For the younger generation what about 'Kerby' where you throw a ball across the road at the opposite kerb, if you hit it and it bounces back you got 1 point ,if it bounced back and you caught it you got 2 points?

;)

• Like 1

And every kid you see playing it reckons they invented it

;)

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
Dobby off ground

But why did we call it "Dobby" when the rest of the world called it "tag"?

I think it goes along with "suckers" actually being "iced lollies"!

no -one dares to call em suckers any more...... lips0

For some reason the kids in Arnold called dobby, 'ticky'. There were a few versions of it, ticky off ground for one. Another favourite was 'ticky hospital' where you had to hold on to the place on your body where you had been 'ticked' whilst trying to catch someone.

Anybody else used to play 'tracking'? It was like a longer distance version of hide and seek. A couple of kids would be assigned to be 'on' and try to find the rest. The ones being sought would leave clues such as chalked arrows on the pavement. This might spread right over a mile or two and take all evening!

Another game which I can't remember what we called was played on bikes. A certain section of the road between lamposts or parked cars would be stipulated as the boundaries and the idea was to get other riders to overbalance to the point of putting their feet down. At that point they were 'out'. Not sure I've explained that terribly well!

I played all those games especially ‘Tracking’

As you say one or more of you went five or so minutes before anyone else, or you counted to one hundred if none of you had a watch before going to seek them.

Sometimes you did too many arrows and ran out of chalk or whatever one was using, coal sometimes.

One of the drawbacks of playing that game it wasn’t any good if it had or was raining.

Can you imagine the children of today playing it…….no.

Another one of my favourites was hedgehopping whereby you went through your neighbours back gardens.

I lived in a close of about thirty houses, we would start at the first and work our way around the close seeing how many we could go through before we were discovered…great fun and a mucky one.

Bip.

Chalk - luxury! We had to use 'stone picked up off 'street!

Some of those games of tracking went on literally all evening. I remember at times you never saw your mates before you had to go home.

Hedgehopping - oh yes! In the days when everyone seemed to have a privet hedge around their garden.

How about 'spirit knocking'? We'd usually head for a street with terrace houses and tie several door knockers together across the street.

Approaching Bonfire night was always a busy time. Collecting people's garden rubbish as if it was gold dust and dragging the big tree branches etc through the streets to the communal bonfire. 'Guys' you don't seem to see these days. We had a problem constructing one on one particular year but not to be defeated reconciled to dress the smallest and therefore most helpless kid up as 'the guy' to beg for pennies for bangers. The poor lad was asthmatic and startled a few shoppers with the little stifled coughs coming from the inanimate figure.

No, we didn't chuck him on the bonfire on the 5th...

Hopscotch was another good game as well as skipping. Before anyone calls me a sissy other boys played it to so you see I wasn’t on my own here.

Basically we used a cloths line for the skipping rope, which we stretched from one side of the road to the other. One or more kids on either end to turn it and you were away, can’t think now what we played, but nevertheless it was fun, and it beat skipping on ones own.

Bip. :Vampire:

I remember that most of these games used to run in streaks. For a while all would play is Hopskotch, etc. Problem with this was that, especially with Hopscotch and "tracking" - after a while all the chalk marks got mixed up!

Did anyone else play "bus ticket tracking"? you used to trawl the roads that had buses running on them, and pick up the tickets people had dropped as they got off.

Then you added up the number across the top, and er er er........

what happened next? must be getting old. :angry: