Oh yes I remember my brother playing this...though we always did it in reverse...start with legs as afar apart as possible and working your way inwards until you had your feet together!!!!!! Living on the edge so to speak yada

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

looking back in my childhood we really knew how to play...many of us lived a simple life and money was short..but we really loved the outdoors... watching my grandsons sit on a skate board whizzing do

Think this might have been the BMW of trolleys ! I don't think we would have dared to have joined our trolleys together down somewhere like Kenrick Rd but this extract from Clive James Unreliable M

I have a photo of my Dad standing outside his home around 1930 and there beside him is a lovely 'trolley' probably built for him by my Grandad.

Posted Images

i remember playing all those too.

ball games to you took your own balls two balls against a wall soft good bouncy ball in a stocking no tights in those day either tied round your ankle and you jumped over it as it as it spun round or you lay on the flooror stood close to a wall and went from side to dide over your head between your legsect but you had to have plenty room for this one or you hit some one else or they hit you.

games of french criket too were always popular with both boys and girls but it was mainly boys that played football and cricket.

• Upvote 1

Me and my mate Tony invented a game called 'Fiveis' as we were like playing half of Tennis...hitting the ball up against a wall.....some swine somewhere nicked the idea and called it Squash ????.......wheres me royalties eh.....nothing!

what about all the different board games we used to play in the house we had all the clasical board games in our house plus cards dominoes ect dont think we ever stuck for something to do whatever the weather. dad tought us dominoes and simple card games as soon as we could count to 50 in my case i was playing cards and dominoes from about 4 years old long before i started school mum would not let us play for money in the house though only when mum and dad both went out did we play for pennys but they all gave me a few coppers to play with mainly so i did not tell mum some of them wished they had not though as i often won and they did not let me. i still play some times in white hart mainly with a couple o young girls who go in with parents they come up and ask if i have got my dominoes with me.i also like to play solo dominoes a game my dad tought me

• 2 months later...

Does anyone remember Whips and tops,and hopscotch(still going today) Blind mans buff,Two little Dickey Birds sitting on the wall,One named Peter one named Paul,fly away Peter fly away Paul,come back Peter come back Paul,and all the bits of paper stuck on the back of the story teller.

What about the game of knuckles? Sometimes hurt like bl**dy hell.

knuckles_position_1.jpg

and of course, what seemed to be must at one stage at parties - Spin the Bottle.

A bit embarrassing at times but with the girl of your dreams, great fun!!

:inthebin:

I remember stretch Paulus, if you could'nt stretch any further you could get you knife to stick in the ground between the opponents legs so you could stand up and put your legs together and start again

Rog

Does anyone remember Whips and tops,and hopscotch(still going today) Blind mans buff,Two little Dickey Birds sitting on the wall,One named Peter one named Paul,fly away Peter fly away Paul,come back Peter come back Paul,and all the bits of paper stuck on the back of the story teller.

Yes Whips & Tops, chalking pattens on the top of the tops, Chunky fat tops and toadstool types that you could whip up and fly them through the air, we called them window (pronounced winda) breakers. They seemed to come out every spring.

• 3 months later...

In addition to the usual Hop-scotch, skipping, football, war, etc. We also had access to such games as these [on special occasions]:

spangles.jpg?gl=GB

Football%255B1%255D.jpg?gl=GB

657%255B1%255D.jpg?gl=GB

• Upvote 1

I used to have a straight stick for my rifle. A small piece of branch sufficed for a pistol or reveolver :) Tommy guns were totally imaginary and always fired from the hip.

• Upvote 1

Banger guns were made from conduit pipe stuffed at one end with a wooden plug. Bangers were lit, pushed down barrel with a marble or similar afterwards and BANG! out would come banger and marble at a great rate of knots!!

The wood at the top of the field by our house (long since become Bestwood park estate) was known to us as "Bendigo's Ring" after the famous boxer. Many a happy hour was spent building dens up there, I can tell you.

cool2

The best playground us kids in Langar had, was the old airfield when it closed and before industry moved in, the RCAF left lots of things behind, that we played with from old lorry's and cars, bits of uniform, and equipment, some of the buildings were still full of furniture, it was a great place to play war in, until the salvage companies, striped the airfield.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

looking back in my childhood we really knew how to play...many of us lived a simple life and money was short..but we really loved the outdoors... watching my grandsons sit on a skate board whizzing down the street had me thinking about the go carts our dad made us out of wood , old pram wheels and a bit of string.. what fun we had ...i mentioned this to one of my grandsons and he immediately asked if great grandad could make him one...true to form my dad welcomed the idea and within days had made two sturdy go carts for all my grandsons to play on.. well their faces were a picture when they were given them.. they are having great fun .......what a shame that people today go straight to the toy shops and often spend a lot of money for something made of plastic...i think the biggest thing for my grandsons was that they were specially made for them by their greatgrandad

• Upvote 8

I made a go-kart (or trolley as we called them) from an old pram & some wood I found dumped on the old central railway sidings (near Glapton Road) down the Meadows. Only problem was there were no hills to charge down so I had to scoot it along. Had a couple of crashes on it but I survived, one crash was caused by the steering string snapping & then ramming a wall.. :)

• Upvote 3

When my grandson came over last year ,we went on the bus to derby ,don't think he had been on a bus before,we went to the joke shop and got some stink bombs,we had great fun dropping them near is mum and dad and uncles .

• Upvote 3

when we were at school we were very popular if we took a lenght of knicker elastic tied together to play chinese elastic ...used to play marbles using the cracks in paving stones ...two ball against a wall...and we loved our roller skates that fastened to your shoes with straps....as we grew the skates could be made larger by undoing the nuts and retightening them...for mere pennies we thought the world of our simple games...ofcourse dobby off doorsteps and hide and seek cowboy and indians cost nothing....

• Upvote 4

I have a photo of my Dad standing outside his home around 1930 and there beside him is a lovely 'trolley' probably built for him by my Grandad.

yes i believe they were called trollies not go carts in our days

• Upvote 2