• 1 month later...
  • Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

looking back in my childhood we really knew how to play...many of us lived a simple life and money was short..but we really loved the outdoors... watching my grandsons sit on a skate board whizzing do

Think this might have been the BMW of trolleys ! I don't think we would have dared to have joined our trolleys together down somewhere like Kenrick Rd but this extract from Clive James Unreliable M

I have a photo of my Dad standing outside his home around 1930 and there beside him is a lovely 'trolley' probably built for him by my Grandad.

Posted Images

Mine never came back. :(

I've thrown the thing all over the place

Practiced 'til I was black in the face

I'm a big disgrace the Aboriginee race......         Alright!    where's the rest of the NS choir?   :biggrin:

• Like 1

I knew I could count on the choir ladies.   Come on Ben.  We're outnumbered.

We need the background vocal I think it goes something like.

Umma Umma

knocker.  knocker

Knocker Knocker   Knock              Or Australian words to that effect.   :biggrin:

• Like 1

Just missed my chance there! But I sat in my armchair and performed a thought Harmonise with Margie. :biggrin:

Our Boomerang never came back either. The closest we got to it returning was when Chris threw it and it did a form of half circle, landing about twenty foot to his left. Mind you the competition between the men was impressive., I can't imagine how many attempts it took to get even half a circle. The children never got a look in.:biggrin:

• Like 1

Something popped in my head the other day [and promptly popped out again, it just came back to me] as a kid we used to play 'Hands, knees, and bumps-a-daisy', giving each other quite a 'bump' with our bums. Then holding 1 hand of your partner, high up, go 'la la la la la laaa, as you turned around. Anybody else play this?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Still remember all the skipping and two ball songs...ian did stray quite often to the 'girls side'.

Nothing to be ashamed of Ian... I was often doing ' boy' activities like shinning up  trees, climbing over railings, fishing for minnows and sliding down the sides of the brickyard on my backside.   I did play with a doll but she was never 'my baby'  - she was just one of my pupils when I played at 'schools' along with my teddies and toy dogs!

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Today my Mum gave me the 10” Bowie knife I used to play with as a kid, she found it in the outhouse, I used to take it to school in my haversack, I remember my teacher borrowing it to prise open a recently painted window, no questions asked :Shock:  

Take care. The penalty for carrying it in public can be 4 years in prison and an unlimited fine. We used to have scout knives on our belts when we were kids and nobody was bothered. Times have changed. On my continental business trips I always used to carry a Swiss Army penknife and a mains tester screwdriver as there were often things which required ‘sorting’ in French and Italian hotel bedrooms. (not in Germany of course!). They would certainly be confiscated at the baggage check nowadays.

My Dad had an old single barrel shotgun with boxes of cartridges, me Mam wouldn't have it in the house, kept it in the coal house, we used to take it down the woods with our mates & shoot at trees & things, luckily non of us were killed :Shock:

• Like 1

I’ve never owned a shotgun but I did use to borrow one from a farmer neighbour when we had a rabbit problem. They are nasty, lethal bits of kit. I’ve known two people who’ve committed suicide with a shotgun. I do have a couple of .22 air rifles which will easily pick off rabbits, squirrels and pigeons. One has a laser sight so it’s virtually impossible to miss the target. I don’t have the heart to kill anything these days though and I just do the occasional bit of target shooting.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
On 7/1/2007 at 8:59 PM, Beefsteak said:

For the younger generation what about 'Kerby' where you throw a ball across the road at the opposite kerb, if you hit it and it bounces back you got 1 point ,if it bounced back and you caught it you got 2 points?

;)

Yeah well remember that ga.e , how many times did it bounce and hit a car or go over a persons front garden ?

On 12/4/2020 at 1:35 AM, philmayfield said:

I’ve never owned a shotgun but I did use to borrow one from a farmer neighbour when we had a rabbit problem. They are nasty, lethal bits of kit. I’ve known two people who’ve committed suicide with a shotgun. I do have a couple of .22 air rifles which will easily pick off rabbits, squirrels and pigeons. One has a laser sight so it’s virtually impossible to miss the target. I don’t have the heart to kill anything these days though and I just do the occasional bit of target shooting.

How about when we'd buy staples at the hardware shop and fire them from a elastic band from our hands it bit like a catapult or gaddy as we called them .

• 3 months later...

Anyone play this when you were kids, indoor/table cricket "owzthat" I had a steel set when I was a kid with the scores on one piece and the reason you were out/not out on the other piece, used to roll the score one to get the score and if you rolled "out/owzthat"" you had to roll the other one to give the reason you were out or not out,

DSCF1624.jpg

DSCF1625.jpg

Rog

What about domino's and I don't mean the pizza ones, these are the ones I used to play with as a kid over sixty years ago with my grandmother who lived on Bathley street Meadows, they were originally bought by my grandfather from a second hand shop after he returned home from the first world war, I still play with them today

P1100406.jpg

Rog

Reminds me of my grandparents at Radford. They had a set of dominoes and I always thought it was a bit of a daft game. I used to play with them as building blocks, or do the thing of lining them up and knocking them down in a line.