why people have no faith in the police

Wife got up ay 7.00am on Saturday to go to work, and was met with this.

DSCF1459.jpg

We have cctv and replayed it and saw that a small white car had crashed into her car at 02.30. and then just drove away. I reported it to the police who gave me a crime number and arranged to view the cctv on Sunday between 5 and 8pm. The police rung me on Sunday and told me that it was pointless viewing the cctv, as unless they could see the number plate it was not proof.

Whilst clearing up the debris I found a part of the headlamp that had a date on it and a part number, it corresponded to a Vauxhall corsa 2011 onwards. I mentioned this to the police but they were not interested.

As I was driving today, I saw a white corsa with damage to the drivers side, it was parked up less than a mile from my house, I took some photos and reported it to the police.

The police have just spoke to me and said that it is not enougth evidence to pursue the crime, and will not even be speaking to the cars owner.

• Upvote 4

You need to peruse this urgently. There will be paint transfer from the car that hit you and visa versa so this can be proved forensically. Also the glass fragments can be matched. I would demand to speak immedeately to the duty Inspector for your area and get an answer. If they still refuse to cooperate then you should make a complaint to the Professional Standards department at Nottinghamshire Police HQ. They can do something about this. Their replies to you so far are negligent and failing and frankly bull sh1t. Please do not let this drop and do it urgently. Time is of the essence and they should investigate this properly and they have not done so. One of the fundamental roles of the Police is the prevention and detection of crime. Do not let this drop.

• Upvote 7

You have been told wrong.

as #5, There is forensic evidence, and video evidence to support it.
It is a job I did between 1984 and 2011.

This has got to be done before the other vehicle is repaired. Due to physical fit of recovered parts.

DO NOT GET INVOLVED OR GO NEAR THE SUSPECT VEHICLE, YOU WILL NEGATE THE EVIDENCE YOU HAVE!

Who told you there was no evidence. Record everything you have been told by whom and when.

It is not 'a crime' what number have you been given. I suspect it is an Accident Reference number, to satisfy your insurance.

What area do you live in, I can pass your issues on to someone locally who needs to know re lack of police action in cases such as this?

If you live in my area I need to know?

• Upvote 1

A criminal offence HAS been committed, namely failing to stop/ provide details to interested parties, or the police within 24 hours (AC10/20) punishable by a potential 6 months jail term and 5-10 points. Motoring offences can be criminal offences too. The police SHOULD take particular interest in 'failure to stop' accidents as quite often they're a sign of 'no insurance' or a banned driver too.

I will take advice as to whether it is criminal, certainly traffic law and summonsable.

I have not personally know traffic offences being crimed unless death occurs as a result.

The image was removed as it contained the registration number.

I will take advice as to whether it is criminal, certainly traffic law and summonsable.

I have not personally know traffic offences being crimed unless death occurs as a result.

The image was removed as it contained the registration number.

Driving whilst disqualified is an example of a motoring offences that is also criminal. I believe the legal difference between a 'mere' motoring offence and a criminal one is whether or not the offence can be punished by a jail sentence and/or fine.

It is all very sad and frustrating. You may remember a case some time ago of a farmer near King's Lynn letting off with a shot gun at some retreating burglars and hitting one of them. The farmer of course was sued and hauled over the coals. It seemed the area in which he lived was isolated and not worth the bother of a police patrol. While this was going on, 5/6 police cars were seen stationed on a large island on the King's Lynn roundabout looking out for traffic contraventions, or to put it another way, easy targets. The moral seems to be the law can be yours if convenient, otherwise leave it alone or it can turn on you.

It is all very sad and frustrating. You may remember a case some time ago of a farmer near King's Lynn letting off with a shot gun at some retreating burglars and hitting one of them. The farmer of course was sued and hauled over the coals. It seemed the area in which he lived was isolated and not worth the bother of a police patrol. While this was going on, 5/6 police cars were seen stationed on a large island on the King's Lynn roundabout looking out for traffic contraventions, or to put it another way, easy targets. The moral seems to be the law can be yours if convenient, otherwise leave it alone or it can turn on you.

To be fair, with a 1 hour round trip from Kings Lynn, I'm not sure how much of a police presence an isolated farmhouse in Emneth Hungate warranted, particularly as the police weren't convinced many of the prior 'burglaries' happened. To have patrolled Tony Martin's place would mean, to be fair to everyone else, to neglect 200 sq miles of other land within a 13 mile radius of King's Lynn. It's a very, very rural area remember.

Edit - just checked and 20th Aug 1999 was also a Friday night, so generally the police are having to attend incidents in town centres to as greater extent anyway.

A crime cimmitted against me that I found really amusing.

Quite a few years ago I was renovating a Cavalier. It was parked on my driveway with the exhaust system removed and all 4 suspension struts out. The car, therefore, made a heck of a racket when two young guys started it and drove off in broad daylight. It must have given them something of a shock, but nowhere near as much as the way it sputtered away and then lurched around the corner ( it went so slowly I was outside watching it by the time it rolled it's way around the corner). It was almost still in sight when I got through to the police. Whilst giving details, the operator asked me to hold a minute as she was getting a report of a car being abandoned in a cul-de-sac nearby. It was so close I reached the car while still on the phone. As I got there, an old man said he'd called it in and identified the two youths who ran off. To cut to the chase, I heard nothin more until a couple of years later when the police phoned asking if I'd ever had a blue car with 'something wrong with it' stolen. It turned out that no action had ever been taken against the two scrotes despite an eye witness identifying them, and that they had it 'Taken into consideration' when arrested years later.

• Upvote 2

What a complete and utter waste of time and money the police are these days.

Too many fast trackers with a totally useless Uni degree. Chop from the top and get real bobbies on the beat.

• Upvote 2

On checking the date on the headlight sticker it is- 07/08/12, so the car was obviously built after this date. When I enlarge the photos of the white car you can easily see black paint.

So I decided to go to Radford road police station myself, I asked to see the duty sergeant, but was told that the people on the desk will deal with it. I stated my case and was told that the sergeant would now see me.

On explaining everything to the lady sergeant, who was very pleasent, she said that she would check out the reg no, and see what it comes up with. Within 15 minutes of me leaving the station she called me back and said that it was registered locally, and she has sent someone to see the driver. Why could they have not done this yesterday.

So hopefully something might get sorted now.

• Upvote 5

To be fair, with a 1 hour round trip from Kings Lynn, I'm not sure how much of a police presence an isolated farmhouse in Emneth Hungate warranted, particularly as the police weren't convinced many of the prior 'burglaries' happened. To have patrolled Tony Martin's place would mean, to be fair to everyone else, to neglect 200 sq miles of other land within a 13 mile radius of King's Lynn. It's a very, very rural area remember.

Edit - just checked and 20th Aug 1999 was also a Friday night, so generally the police are having to attend incidents in town centres to as greater extent anyway.

No doubt you are right but unfortunately it does not improve the perception of the police as law enforcers, especially as Tony Martin was prosecuted as a consequence of taking the law into his own hands to protect his property.

• Upvote 1

What a complete and utter waste of time and money the police are these days.

Too many fast trackers with a totally useless Uni degree. Chop from the top and get real bobbies on the beat.

Thats what I like about Joe Public... they soon catch on ;)

• Upvote 1

You can check whether a car is insured at ask mid.com

As failing to stop and give details after an accident is in breach of Road Traffic Act 1988 s170(4) a criminal offence has been committed. The penalty on conviction would likely be a fine and a handful of points but disqualification would also be considered.

From the Forum for Retired Notts Police Officers...

"Absolutely pathetic - the Police that is - sheer neglect of duty. I feel very sorry for the IP.

You can cut and paste this if you wish and say that I am a retired Police Traffic Sgt.

Regards

Mick"

• Upvote 1

I sympathise with your situation taxiray. I don't know whether it's the fact that the police are overburdened or whether they just can't be bothered, but they don't seem to be on our side any more.

If you've suffered anything like anti-social behaviour or even burglary, then you have to do all the work yourself and hand it to them on a plate before they'll even get involved.

It's as if everything is too much like hard work and they've decided that crimes where nobody gets bodily hurt are too trivial for them. Things which might seem petty to the police, like people smoking dope and selling it in public, riding bikes on the pavement, or pranging someone's car like ray's wife's vehicle, is just too much paperwork and a waste of resources. They'd rather be nicking people for speeding or for parking on double-yellow lines. Far easier and an earner to boot.

I know a few people who are in the police and they say that it's sickening to see so many people getting away with bad behaviour.

It's the kind of thing leads to an erosion in society and even vigilantism.

I hope you get somewhere with your case taxiray. Sounds like you've already done most of the work that the police should have done, and if they don't get off their arses and sort it then please make a complaint about them.

They really, really hate that.

• Upvote 2

I've noticed time and again on 'Cops' and 'Judge Judy' that people trying to sort out their own problems are told..."Don't! .......phone 911"

Yeah right!.....try that in the UK....no chance! You'd grow a beard waiting!

I've noticed time and again on 'Cops' and 'Judge Judy' that people trying to sort out their own problems are told..."Don't! .......phone 911"

Yeah right!.....try that in the UK....no chance! You'd grow a beard waiting!

Indeed you wiould. In fact your phone wouldn't connect to anyone as 911 is the start of many ordinary UK numbers. I just had to point that out for the sake of pedantry.

Exactly the same thing happened to my daughter a few years ago, her car was hit while parked overnight the offending car was left abandoned at the scene and although the previous owner was traced they said they had sold it some time ago and could not give the names of the buyers. No one was ever prosecuted!!