ABOUT 4 yrs ago i was fishing at 'forge mills' in Bestwood village and a chap i was at school with turned up,had'nt seen him for 50 yrs,he remembered me and we had a nice conversation for about 30 mins,as he was leaving i told him to 'remember me to his Brother,he laughed and said 'sorry mate but by the time i get home i'll not remember we even had this conversation'.

He then told me that he was suffering from this awful ailment,tho he recalled in detail our school days,he had maintained his humour and i admired his fortitude.

• Upvote 2

Benjamin

As a nurse I have dealt with many patients with Alzheimers, especially on the medical wards.

Back in my student nurse days I spent a lot of time with one patient who was probably at the stage you describe. He was ex-RAF and undoubtedly did some dangerous missions, repeatedly. He knew his short term memory was going, but he actually said that the long term memory was enhanced, and he could recall in greater detail of things like the war. I did part of my nursing degree on him and memory loss. I wish I had gained his permission to record his memories on tape.

Also, there was another patient, totally different from the one above, who was gruff, stocky and strong despite his age. He had a temper too. Almost uncontrollable. He was a little further down the road than the pilot, but we found a way to calm him. He worked on the railways, so I would look in second hand book shops and charity shops for books about trains. He would become calm when he had his book, and would then talk. Often he would talk in a very personal way about the trains, about the different valves, and why one was harder to work than the other, and which trains worked perfectly and those that spent most of the time in the workshop. I know he worked on the Sir Nigel Gresley (which I saw yesterday) and I know he admired that train very much. Bill has been dead about 30 years now but I still recall his train stories. I also remember the times he clocked me one too!

• Upvote 5

Here's a paper written by a neuro surgeon who carried out a study of dementia and aluminium, it will scare you!!

http://w3.newsmax.com/newsletters/blaylock/issues/bwr77/blaylock_bwr77_77.pdf

And here's another article from Dr Mercola who is a practising MD, I believe I've seen him write about the link between Aluminium and Dementia a few times over the years I've subscribed to his newsletter.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/03/22/aluminum-toxicity-alzheimers.aspx

I think there is plenty of scientific and medical proof aluminium is unsafe, as are other "heavy metals" they all accumulate in various organs of the body over time.

I remember many years back when I worked at Cleveland Potash, most of the electrical equipment I worked on had cadmium plated parts. With being in a salty atmosphere the cadmium oxidised forming a white powder to form on it's surface.. We were warned not to get the cadmium oxide on our skin or ingest it, as it was a toxic heavy metal.

Uncoated Aluminium also produces a toxic oxide that can absorbed through the skin.

But Dr Blaylocks paper is an eyeopener for those that don't believe Aluminium is dangerous.

Ayupmeducks

Aluminium is everywhere, and has been for millennia.Its in the water we drink, the air we breathe, in dust and almost everything we touch. Its very pervasive. Unlike metals such as lead we cannot avoid ingesting it in some way. Aluminium is certainly a neurotoxin, but in large quantities.

If it were invariably causative then we would all have Alzheimers but we do not. For instance, lead poisoning is always destructive.

Aluminium like many metals, is totally not needed for life. Some metals are. If you did not have iron you would die.

There is no correlation between the amounts of aluminium found in the brains of Alzheimer's sufferers than the general population who have the same amount of aluminium in their brains yet do not get memory loss. Some drugs have the capability to reduce aluminium from the body. No beneficial results have been seen in reducing aluminium from the body.

Have you read the first link I posted??? Or have you totally dismissed it out of hand?

Yes I'm aware aluminium is all around us in it's native form bauxite and other variations on the mineral. I would suggest you read the neuro surgeons paper though before you dismiss the facts he presents from his own investigations.

Dr Mercola also presents a good argument that aluminium causes dementia, he gives links on research carried out on the subject.

Just looked and found this from the Alzheimer's Society:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=102

From which I quote:

"Aluminium – Very low levels of many metals are present in the brain. Aluminium is a toxic metal that is common in our everyday environment. Small amounts of it are found in water and food. Although initial studies linked aluminium toxicity with Alzheimer's disease, the link has not been proven despite continuing investigation. Importantly, there is no evidence to suggest that aluminium exposure increases your risk of dementia."

• 6 years later...

My Mum died from Dementia.  Also my Mother and Father in Law.  Not sure what else I can say.

DJ360 Don't worry we will look after you.

My mum also passed away with Dementia, when first dianosed, I went along to see GP ask please tell me more. All he said was that from beging to end it is about 10 years. He was right she was 99 when she passed away. 

The  hardest thing was each Saturday I would go and set her hair, and she knew something was happening, while passing me the pins, she kept saying  what is happening to me., tell me.  

First signs when I called in she ask what the thing was in her kitchen, i satd it's a cooker mum, Yes but what is it for? 

I brought a telephone with large numbers on it and blanked off the other numbers so if she needed me it was press button 1 if she needed my brother it was button 2 doctor no 3 and the rest taped off. The local little cafe in Eastwood where great they would take her a cooked dinners each day and keep me informed how she was even though i would call each day. One night we had a phone call ""there watching me" mum said  who mum "Them " who's Them "them out there"  ok give me 2mins and I will come up.  What it was mums telly was on standby and she was on about the red light, 

Advice anyone who thinks any of family have Dementia contact your local social work I found her a great help. 

I think the worst thing though is if you have to pack up work to look after one of your family you can claim careres allowence which when i finished work it was £25 now I think it has gone up to £45 this did not even come any where near my wages , but hay/ho it's your mum.

The thing is with Dementia some people can get very violent we were very lucky with mum as she was allways smiling and even when she went into care the staff all said "we love your mum as she never stops smiling" 

• Upvote 1

Question 

What is the difference between 

Dementia    and 

Alzheimer's

On 10/17/2014 at 8:24 AM, Ayupmeducks said:

Dr Mercola also presents a good argument that aluminium causes dementia

Oh no! for a while there in the seventies all our beer came in aluminium cans but I am sure they had some kind of "plastic" liner that did not do us any good with chemicals leaching out of that too. We also had steel cans so no problems with iron deficiency either.

Only joking as sadly when a loved one gets dementia or alzheimer's you lose them twice, once as the disease takes its toll and again when they die.

12 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

What is the difference between 

Dementia    and 

Alzheimer's

Dementia is an umbrella term for a number of neurological diseases. Alzheimer' disease is the most common form of dementia

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeh proper sad to see big Jack Charlton like that 

Couple of points referring to several previous posts.

Aluminium is not a 'heavy metal'. It is roughly one third the density of iron and is the third most common element on Earth after Oxygen and Silicon.

Like many people, we got rid of all aluminium cooking vessels way back when aluminium became a 'suspect' for causing Dementia. But, I believe that those claims have since been debunked.  I'd still not use aluminium pans mostly because Stainless etc.. are just better... and they work with our induction hob.

As far as I am concerned Dr Mercola is a modern day Snake Oil salesman.  A sophisticated quack who sells unproven rubbish.. has a history of 'anti vaccine' propaganda , claimed that Covid could be 'cured' at home etc.  A dangerous individual.  Others may disagree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Mercola#Other_views

My father in law became increasingly confused.. though much of his memory remained. He died of pneumonia whilst in hospital.

Mother in Law also became confused and ended up in a 'care home', but died from a heart attack.

My Mum became confused..then quite beligerent and difficult, which was not like her. She spent about 12 weeks in an assessment ward at City Hospital and then 'they' informed us we needed to find her a care home approved for managing Dementia.  After 12 weeks of assessment.. they were calling us almost daily trying to get us to move Mum out of City. In the end I told this guy in no uncertain terms that we were not prepared to be rushed into shoving her just anywhere and would move her when we had found somewhere suitable. 

Can't remember exactly how long she was in there.. but it was a number of years and by the end Mum didn't recognise anyone.. though we still kept visitiing.  She died in 2015.

My paternal aunt is almost 91 and has recently moved to a care home. Her mobility is now very poor but all her marbles are at home.  I asked, because I'm not yet allowed to visit, about how many residents suffer from dementia. She tells me that patients with dementia are accommodated on a different floor of the building and she doesn't see them. Those on her floor are mentally unimpaired.

I have been fortunate in that I was spared having to deal with this condition. It hasn't arisen in my family in my lifetime.  I've often wondered just what does go on in the mind of the dementia sufferer. To me, the mind and the brain are not the same thing. Many will disagree. I view the brain as a sort of filter paper through which the coffee (in this case, the mind) is percolated. In some cases, it becomes clogged, begins to disintegrate and can no longer perform its function but the mind remains undamaged.  It worries me that people who suffer from dementia possibly do recognise those whom they appear not to know but cannot communicate the fact. They have become, in effect, prisoners in a body which cannot communicate. Or changes in the personality, caused by damage to the 'filter' are fully recognised by the mind and must be highly distressing for the person concerned.

Just my way of looking at things with which many will disagree, as is their choice.

My mother had Parkinson's in her later years, and some of the symptoms she showed - and her behaviour - are very similar to those mentioned in previous posts. When I visited her in the nursing home, it was always a lottery whether she would be able to communicate in a 'normal' way or whether she would struggle to say things other people could understand.

I often used to wonder whether she was aware of her condition, and did she feel frustrated and irritated by not being able to do what she wanted to do. Or was she in a blissful naive innocence, not worried about anything nor whether she made any sense to other people.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Dementia

Col and CT It must have been upsetting for you when visiting your mums....

Fortunately, my mum who died at 94 was bright as a button and very ‘with it’ until the last couple of weeks of her life after she had suffered a stroke.  She was registered blind by this time but managed very well.

• Like 1