Having had a head-lice free childhood, I never expected to get them as a grown-up. In the 70s when I was a bus conductor in Scotland, my wife noticed I was scratching my head a lot. She bought a nit comb and put it through my hair (which was shoulder length at the time). It produced these pre-historic animals and frightened the hall out of me. We soon got rid of them but it must have been through mixing with so many people.

I never had them as a child either, but they were rife in my childrens school and I would spend hours combing them out of their hair and treating their heads and then I got them, even though I would keep my hair tied back. I realised that when I was combing their hair, some of the nits were landing on my sweater and when I took it off over my head.........

On the plus side they do say it's a sign of clean hair. Nits cannot grip onto greasy hair.

Tip of the day for anyone needing to know: Teatree Oil is very good for getting rid of the pests and for then repelling them.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 years later...

Felt really sorry for girl I sat next to at Henry Whipple school.............after our 'Nit Nurse inspection'..........she came back into the classroom and was made to sit at the back of the class on her own with her long hair still wet after treatment.......I complained to the teacher,.......I was told to shut up and don't be stupid.........glad things have changed from those days............the poor girl must have felt awful...............

• 2 years later...

RR it seems to be your mission in life to search the forum for duplicate threads and bring them to light - a sort of undercover moderator.   You're giving CT a lot of work to merge them but I'm sure he can cope!

• Like 2