Looking for Residents of Meadow Lane in the Sixties

The slaughterhouse was in the Cattle Market. It was on the other side of the high wall that ran along County Road. The wall was between Meadow Lane and the opening to the Cattle Market, across the road from Notts County's Ground. When I went to London Road Infants School I had to walk along County Road to get to my home in Grainger Street. My friends and I would often help each other to climb onto the wall and walk along it until we got to the big gates just before Meadow Lane. I can remember seeing a cow being lifted up by a chain on it's back legs and slaughtered. I won't go into detail but it wasn't a very nice thing for a young schoolkid to see. I think that was the last time I walked on that wall.

• Upvote 1

You are obviously a sensitive man Michael as i am,i accidently witnessed a cow being slaughtered when i was 30,it really upset me,but i still eat the poor things,bit of an hypocrit really,as most of us are.

• Upvote 1

Went down to the slaughter yards a few times with my Dad in the truck, a small Morris/Austin tray truck with sides. Used to get the complete guts and stuff laying on the floor in the back. Still remember the whole lot quivering, shifting about and glistening. It all got cooked up for the pigs. The smell was something else.....as well as the fluids running out of the sides and back of the truck....

A few years later, we was cooking fresh tripe for the dogs' meals.

Apparently 'roadkill cuisine' is gaining popularity .....make your choice from the highway smorgasbord and take it to the local restaurant for cooking....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadkill_cuisine

Here's one near you, katyjay.......

http://www.route66seligmanarizona.com/The_Roadkill_Cafe.php.

Sorry to go off topic... :bluespin04:

• Upvote 1

Went down to the slaughter yards a few times with my Dad in the truck, a small Morris/Austin tray truck with sides. Used to get the complete guts and stuff laying on the floor in the back. Still remember the whole lot quivering, shifting about and glistening. It all got cooked up for the pigs. The smell was something else.....as well as the fluids running out of the sides and back of the truck....

A few years later, we was cooking fresh tripe for the dogs' meals.

Trevor

Thanks for that,try being a little more descriptive next time,LOL

Hello - me again with another question (hopefully the responses won't be quite so graphic this time)

Does anyone know if there was a "Ladies Gowns Retailers in the Meddas or surrounding area around 1963/64?

....and can I add a big thank you for all your help so far, your responses and many of the posts on this forum have helped me build up a picture of a place and time I knew nothing about yet is a part of my family history

• Upvote 3