Looking for Residents of Meadow Lane in the Sixties

Thank you a charlesworth, I'm not from the area myself, but looking to research family who were. Interesting to hear (and see) what the area was like at the time though.

I have a particular interest in this area of Meadow Lane

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/johnnyreggae2/library/

Would like to know where the Pub and the Scrapyard are in relation to this area though

The London rd area of meadow lane river side was taken up with co.op site consisting of dairy bakers removals and other co .op business,coming off London rd onto meadow lane opposite to the vast of co.op land on the right there was a petrol station there were also a canal that ran along London rd

Set back after that there was a cafe called the magpie.which stood on the corner of another st that I can not remember near to notts county ground and terraced houses just after that was a working cattle market meadow lane ran towards colwick taking in trinkets scrap and rag yard where us meadows kids weighed in our rag and wool after that you came to a level crossing gates where the railway ran over the road,not much but hope it helps,what exactly are you researching.anyway good hunting.

• Upvote 1

Many thanks a charlesworth, this does help.

I am researching my family history, happy to provide additional background, but would prefer to do so privately rather than on a public forum.

I note that you do not have the "PM this member" option, is there any other way I can contact you?

Johnny ,get 2 books called,the nottingham meadows in the 70s,some brilliant photos.and also changing times series THE MEADOWS REMEMERED on page 83 shows a wide from the petrol station I mentioned and should be of great interest to you and give you a feeling at that time

Hi all, research is progressing and many thanks to those who have responded. Andy I have got the books you suggested, very interesting and very useful in giving me a picture of what the area was like at the time i'm interested in.

Would anyone know where the slaughter house and the Coop butchers would have been in the meadows area?

Johnny scroll down list to meddas ,then scroll down to meadows demolition,look at #14 and #16 the first view is up wilford the second view is the same view the other way round on the immediate left is the co-op grocer just out of frame to the left is the co-op butchers adjoining the grocery bit I hope that makes sense.

For reference page 16 of your green book is the opposite corner of wilford grove,facing the co-op #27.page 15 photo 26 the poets is where the photographerwould have been stood back to the pub taking photo of wilford grove opposite.all photos 25 to 29 are all within a few yards of of each other.I told you about arkwright st page 18 19 #31,will give you

a good insight Into where everyone in the meadows did their shopping.page7 14 #23,page 27 #46 page 26 #45 are the nearest photos in the green book of area of interest.The photo in Brown book page 83 is the London rd end of meadow lane the floodlights of notts county football club,on meadow lane.I hope I have not co fused you. Regards andy