Jigsaw puzzle season

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's Jigsaw puzzle season once again. Here is my latest addition to the collection; 1000 pieces of 1950s dreams:#

Finally managed to get them on, thanks to sonny jim. Sorry but we have tried to crop the border and not successful.

Just done these

Yup, very similar Chulla. Sometimes I even hide behind the sofa, so I don't have to share! :P

EDIT

Broxtowelad, We do the same as your wife, all for a good cause. We keep our favorites for another time.

Never liked doing Jigsaws,although i would imagine its quite relaxing,i struggle at relaxing, wish i did'nt, as ive said before i hate DIY,won't do it or can't,ive no inclination whatsoever to even try. Touching on another thread,i don't have a clue how to post a picture on here,and very seldom send or recieve a PM. So i won't ever be a problem to Admin and Micktome.

Pretty useless really are'nt i...............can't think how ive had such a busy life.......answers privately please by a PM,would love to get one,(not really)...........suppose this should have gone on 'Loppys Random Rambles'....summat else ive got wrong.........lol.

• Upvote 2

Well we decided to kill a bit of time and have a ride to Loogaberooga to have a look at Geoffs Toy Shop for a Jigsaw. I wrote the title of the shop and address down and set off........you guessed it; after about half an hours travelling, I realised my instructions were on the kitchen top.

All was not lost. We did a detour to a Retail park at Tamworth to Toys R Us. No joy. We didn't like the ones they had. SO, tomorrow on the way to Notts we are going to try Geoffs at Looga again. We particularly like The Blackpool Promanade one and Doggy Paddle one. Fingers crossed.

Note.Only 500pc. not upto 1000pc yet!

• Upvote 1

Bubblewrap #50

Thanks for posting. So many things in those scenes that we have forgotten and now remembered by way of a jigsaw!

Love the one of the coalman taking the sack around the back for the next door neighbours. I did not like that innovation as is did me out of a bob my dad gave me to take the coal round the back to the coal 'us after it had been tipped on the road outside the house.

#44 the 1970s Jigsaw. If you look carefully you will see that the videos are Betamax!

• Upvote 1

At Geoffs Toys in Loughborough on Wednesday; The assistant contacted their other shop and reserved the two mentioned Jigsaws #63 for us to be picked up on Friday.

We decided to drive there today on our way back from Notts and guess what. We went all the way to Coleshill Warwickshire and it should have been Coalville, Leicestershire.

The assistant checked whether I had the address right, and when I said Coleshill Warwickshire, she said that it was the right one??? DOH. Oh well, off we go in the morning back to Coalville. I'm sure it will be worth it in the end. :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

#67. So, you went to Coleshill instead of Coalville, eh. I wondered what that funny-looking purple stuff you were drinking at the meet-up was!

• Upvote 1

Chulla, It was definitely not as interesting as that funny looking golden - brown stuff most of the Nottstalgians were drinking.

Lizzie, yes I imagine they would post them but we are not bothered; because we will enjoy another country lane car ride to fetch them. It was a misunderstanding at the shop. The assistant quiried with me if I had said ColesHill or Coalville, when I said Coleshill near B-ham Warwickshire, she replied "That's the one", even Chris is sure that is what she said. Not to worry. Worse things happen at sea. (That one belongs in "Things our parents said" Dunt It.) :)

• Upvote 2

At least it's another excuse to get out for coffee and cakes again isn't it Carni?

• Upvote 1

Most jigsaws are made of stamped-out cardboard, but some are wooden. I have long wanted to know how the wooden ones are made. They can't saw the pieces out because they would get a sloppy fit and part of the image would be missing. Anyone know how they are cut? I am assuming that they too are stamped out but the cuts look too fine for that, I think.

Most jigsaws are made of stamped-out cardboard, but some are wooden. I have long wanted to know how the wooden ones are made. They can't saw the pieces out because they would get a sloppy fit and part of the image would be missing. Anyone know how they are cut? I am assuming that they too are stamped out but the cuts look too fine for that, I think.

This article demonstrates the different ways in which they can be made, Chulla.

I've observed die-cut machines at work in the past in my former work in the print trade. Clever stuff.

http://www.jigthings.com/manufacturing-jigsaw-puzzles/

• Upvote 2

Interesting, Stu. If wooden jigsaws were always cut by hand-held or machine saw, irrespective how thin the blade was I would imagine that there was always a certain amount of sloppiness in the fit. I used to have a pre-war wooden jigsaw - the C-Class flying boat - but there were no interlocking at the joins, just straight edges and edges that followed the picture in places.

Interesting, Stu. If wooden jigsaws were always cut by hand-held or machine saw, irrespective how thin the blade was I would imagine that there was always a certain amount of sloppiness in the fit.

Maybe they could supply the purchaser with a small bag of sawdust to fill in any gaps. :)

• Upvote 2