Compo

Jigsaw puzzle season

Most jigsaws are made of stamped-out cardboard, but some are wooden. I have long wanted to know how the wooden ones are made. They can't saw the pieces out because they would get a sloppy fit and part of the image would be missing. Anyone know how they are cut? I am assuming that they too are stamped out but the cuts look too fine for that, I think.

This article demonstrates the different ways in which they can be made, Chulla.

I've observed die-cut machines at work in the past in my former work in the print trade. Clever stuff.

http://www.jigthings.com/manufacturing-jigsaw-puzzles/

• Upvote 2

Very interesting Stu. A jigsaw is another one of those things that give enjoyment, but I have never given much thought to the way they are made. Thank you.

Interesting, Stu. If wooden jigsaws were always cut by hand-held or machine saw, irrespective how thin the blade was I would imagine that there was always a certain amount of sloppiness in the fit. I used to have a pre-war wooden jigsaw - the C-Class flying boat - but there were no interlocking at the joins, just straight edges and edges that followed the picture in places.

Interesting, Stu. If wooden jigsaws were always cut by hand-held or machine saw, irrespective how thin the blade was I would imagine that there was always a certain amount of sloppiness in the fit.

Maybe they could supply the purchaser with a small bag of sawdust to fill in any gaps. :)

• Upvote 2

Today we decided to make our way to Coalville to pick up our Jigsaws and all went well this time. Not only did we purchase our puzzles; we also got a loyalty card with two stamps on, only four more for a free puzzle. :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

So, you made it then, carni. I was hoping that you turned up at that other Leicestershire place Coleorton - don't tell me, don't tell me, you did. yada

Oh yes Chulla,To strive To seek To find and not to yield. Gerrit Gorrit Good. I dare say we will get lost in that direction one day. :biggrin:

I'm glad you finally got our jigsaws Carni - I'm a 500er too. When my mum was in the General Hospital way back when there was a huge jigsaw set out on a table in the ward and visitors could donate 5p to add a piece. Great money raiser and addictive!

• Upvote 2

I have just completed my first 1000 piece Wasgij puzzle. The first picture is the image on the box and the second is the image that is on the puzzle itself. It is back to front. ie you have to imagine what the woman in the background is seeing and that is the picture on the puzzle.

IMG_7155.JPG

IMG_7152.JPG

• Upvote 7

Brilliant compo. That jigsaw is so clever, it took me a while to work it out. Well done.

My son is staying tonight, I will see if he can work out how to put pictures on my computer from my phone. I have the two that I bought from Geoffs. Doggy Paddle and Blackpool Promenade, both 500pieces Worth all the travelling to get them! Also one called Barn Sale, from a charity shop,750 pieces. That one is brilliant and kept us busy for days. It has a shaped outside and lots of funny shaped jigsaw pieces, with pointy bits and odd shapes. we completed them all whilst on holiday in May. Anyway fingers crossed that sonny boy can put them on my computer.

• Upvote 1

Finally managed to get them on, thanks to sonny jim.

IMG_20160526_100755_BURST001_COVER.jpg

IMG_20160526_100937.jpg

IMG_20160526_101036_1.jpg

Sorry but we have tried to crop the border and not successful.

• Upvote 7

Great Jigsaws everyone. Time for me to trawl the Charity Shops for some more. There are usually some unwanted Xmas JigSaw Presents for sale. I might do the Barn Sale again, we did enjoy the novelty of the shaped outside, but we haven't got anywhere to do them at home, without losing use of the dining table! Keep up the good work all you.....surely there is a name for people who do Jig Saws. Keep it clean. :biggrin:

Dissectologist, or if you want to be posh, Benevolent Confraternity of Dissectologists.

• Upvote 1

Dissectologist sounds a bit scarey. it makes me feel like I should be wearing a white coat in a lab somewhere? The posh version aint any better Katyjay.

• Upvote 1

I love the shop puzzle #90 Bubblewrap.

Bubblewrap, #87 love the wedding jig. whats it called and is it Gibsons.

Here we go again - once more into the breech of Jigsaw puzzle season.  My first of the winter - 1000 pieces of WWII.    The title is "Scramble"..........Anyone spot the artist's mistake?

30843786471_15d63b9fc4_k.jpg

A BSA Bantam on a wartime airfield.

And.....A burning Lancaster bomber on a Battle of Britain airfield.  The Lancaster was not introduced until 1942, the Bantam 1948.

In one of our local magazines is an article about the folks who do a giant jigsaw puzzle each summer. It's very hot here then, so this group meet at the local library, one or more of them chips in to buy a new puzzle for that summer's project. This summer they did one called New York City Window, a view from the top of a skyscraper. It had 32,256 pieces and measured 18 ft by 6 1/2 ft when finished. What a project. They meet, chat as they go along, quite a social activity. 

• Upvote 2

That is some jigsaw puzzle!