Alvin Stardust R.I.P.

VERY SAD, think he lived in Mansfield at one time,saw him some yrs ago walking nr Bakewell with Lisa Goddard his ex wife.R.I P.

Another of the soundtracks of my life gone, very sad to hear of his passing. He did indeed grow up in the Mansfield area, I always thought it was towards Worksop way somewhere. His connection with Notts always made him seem more a local hero to me and my friends when we were in our teens and then of course he was Shane Fenton with the Fentones.

Very sad, 72, no age really. RIP

Just read Alvin Stardusts wiki . Never realised there were two Shane Fentons ! Probably the one I used to see at various places was the first one .

The original one died in his teens and Bernard Jewry who was the bands roadie took over as the new Shane Fenton before becoming Alvin .

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_Stardust

VERY SAD, think he lived in Mansfield at one time,saw him some yrs ago walking nr Bakewell with Lisa Goddard his ex wife.R.I P.

Lisa Goddard now lives in Swanton Morley, Norfolk. The house used to belong to friends of ours.

Sad to hear about Alvin Stardust.

I worked with him a couple of times. He was a nice guy.

Showed that he had a good sense of humour when he did all those glam-rock revival tours and had the enormous quiff and massive brothel creepers !

I never worked out why he had a broad Lancashire accent - even though he was from the East End.

He had a suprising number of hits - one I particularly liked was 'Pretend'.

R.I.P.

Sad News indeed.

I told my mate in Oz who was in the group scene at that time and he mentioned this website for memories.

playedinaband.com

Apologies if you already know it but it brought back memories for me including the picture of Jack Bentalls music shop next to the Theatre Royal. Enjoy.

Stay Cool...and keep rocking.

• Upvote 2

Jack Brentnall's Shop, bought my first guitar from there, saved up for ages.

About £6.00 around 1963.

Seem to remember the frontage had curved glass windows?

Smiffy

Re.

About £6.00 around 1963.

Well it was on a curve Smiffy - between Watmoughs and the County Hotel.

Brentnall's seemed a bit more hip than Clement Pianos - the other main shop selling guitars and what not.

Apologies if you already know it but it brought back memories for me including the picture of Jack Bentalls music shop next to the Theatre Royal..

About £6.00 around 1963.

No amount of adjustment can make any lettering readable, but concentrate on the three dark windows.

brent-1.jpg

Now that picture brought back a lot of memories, Jack Bentalls was more in tune with the budding folk/rock guitarist than Clement Pianos were. I used to buy my Martin ultra light gauge strings from there as well as building up a full set of Hohner Blues Harps, one in a different key whenever I could afford it. A good corner to visit made better when Selectadisc moved in just up the road on the left.

Sorry to hear about Alvin, I must admit I thought he'd be older than that, when he was reinvented as Alvin Stardust I always thought he looked embarrasingly old to be involved in the so called Glam Rock/Pop scene, I thought he was probably in his 40's at the time. Quite frankly I loathed all that early 70's stuff and I thought his music was particularly dreadful, mind you, he was cute enough to carry it off and make a succesful come back, I always admired him for that. The 70's was a terrible decade for music, it started with Glam and ended with Punk, it makes me shudder to think about it. I swapped over to appreciating more obscure music from US Country and British Folk roots, when Punk was forced upon us, I switched to Radio's 3 and 4.

Anyway Alvin, keep on rocking wherever you are matey, you made a lot of people happy in your time.