Can anyone remember a very large second hand furniture / junk shop, situated probably just behind the picture in #1 ?

I seem to remember it had a few floors to it.

Smiffy

Can anyone remember a very large second hand furniture / junk shop, situated probably just behind the picture in #1 ?

I seem to remember it had a few floors to it.

Smiffy

That was one of Pownalls shops on three floors...I bought a chair there.The real junk shops were over the road near the baths in the fifties. There were about three shops absolutely crammed with stuff...so full they couldn't have seen what was at the back for years.

Nice picture of the market there...I stood on a Saturday there five years ago...it was nearly deserted.

2uhy0q1.jpg

The Fruit and Veg takes money,always does...but the punters don't look round the rest of the market. Just get their carrots and go.

20 years ago you'd have waited 5 years to get a stall on a Saturday. Those days have gone...it's all Tescos and the internet now.

Mind you the proliferation of yellow hatted pests nick anybody that tries to stop and shop round there now.

It's true about Sneinton Market twenty years ago, poohbear. I used to fight my way through the crowd to get to the record stall. It also used to be the same at Arnold Market. I'd buy a large roast pork and apple sauce cob and go and sort through the records. Mmm, those cobs were absolutely fantastic, as anyone who had one will tell you.

Just reading up on Sneinton Market and found this.

http://www.savevictoriabaths.ellieharrison.com/vb-civicsociety.pdf

The usual gobbledegook from civil servants...they don't know what to do with the area.

'Market sheds to be refurbished and let to indoor and outdoor traders'...they don't get it do they?..The public don't want markets,they want superstores with car parking.

They want to encourage folks to use the route from Sneinton Market through Hockley to the City Centre....What walk???....Yeah right!

They don't want a superstore on the bus garage site...'there is an underused Co op on Carlton Road which should be encouraged to refurb'...Err! but people don't want the Co op.... they want one of the big four or a Lidl/Aldi They're all mad and living in the past.

• Upvote 1

Bear in mind that is written by Nottingham Civic Society, who never want to demolish anything; and it was written 6 years ago, so it's a bit out of date now. Aldi and Lidl have almost completed their plan for world domination since then.

The large-and-underused Co-op has been closed for several years, like most Co-ops.

I have to agree. Some of the people working for the city council live in a dream world when it comes to things like Sneinton Market. The world has moved on and no number of Euro-funded schemes is going to breath life into a corpse.

I'd love to know what is going to happen to the derelict land that runs down from St Matthias Road. ASDA were supposed to be building a store but that seems to have gone completely cold over the past couple of years.

The market and environs could be turned into a busy shopping area catering for that side of the City with larger stores built on the periphery and the market in the middle...but they MUST get rid of the old fruit market buildings and build some modern single story shops (If it's so important to keep a low profile skyline)

But there must be some short stay free (or reasonably priced) car parking.Like it or not car parking is the only way to draw customers to an area.

• Upvote 1

I remember visiting Sneinton Market, wi' me mam, we had to walk from the bus terminus on Hanley street (& back), mam bought me a pair of glasses once (2nd hand) I could only see proper out one eye!! but they were cheap........................

• Upvote 3
  • 7 months later...

Bargains could be had on markets years ago. Shops could not compete with market traders enjoying very little overheads who would pass on savings to the customers.

Blame the decline of the markets not on the likes of Tesco, Aldi etc but greedy market traders who charge sometimes more for their goods than the shops, & a lot of crap is passed off on the market stall unbeknown to the shopping public.

I have noticed the decline on Bulwell Market where fruit & veg is usually dearer than the supermarkets & is reaching the "sell by" date by the looks of it.

Bargains could be had on markets years ago. Shops could not compete with market traders enjoying very little overheads who would pass on savings to the customers.

Blame the decline of the markets not on the likes of Tesco, Aldi etc but greedy market traders who charge sometimes more for their goods than the shops, & a lot of crap is passed off on the market stall unbeknown to the shopping public.

I have noticed the decline on Bulwell Market where fruit & veg is usually dearer than the supermarkets & is reaching the "sell by" date by the looks of it.

Harder and harder to make it pay on the markets as the sources for bargain goods available to them dry up.Close dated and clearance goods are now being bought in bulk by the pound shops....themselves pinching the idea everything £1 off markets in the first place.

A couple of days before Easter I used to sell any excess in production of easter eggs at bargain prices...this is now done by the supermarkets so another source dried up.

You can't expect markets to be cheaper than the big boys whos gigantic buying power gets them huge discounts.Tins of Quality Street at Christmas being a good example.

Markets being the last bastion of cash only with the use of credit cards increasing over the years hasn't done them any favours.

I tend to agree with the fruit and veg merchants....many of them tend to buy lower quality. But many don't trade every day till late to avoid carrying the stuff round for days on end....hence the rush to reduce and sell bananas before the market shuts.

• Upvote 1