Went to Blore's book shop yesterday & on walking up Mansfield Road

I noticed that blot on the landscape "York House" is in the process of demolition.

I hope what is going to be built on the site is somewhat more pleasing to the eye

Can we have the brewery back(with pub)please ;)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While we are in the area, if you stand in the middle of Mansfield Road looking south, you see this. Previously you would have seen this. Wesleyan Chapel, only demolished in the early 1970s, but I d

Three things which haven't been seen from this angle for a long while. The Rose of England pub from the rear (on the left); the old buildings on Mansfield Road with nothing to block the view; and the

What I find amazing is how quickly the grass and trees are growing in front of the tunnel entrance. #45. Makes you wonder how quickly Sherwood Forest would take hold again if we were all gone for a f

When I was in Nottingham last Thursday, they were demolishing the car park for York House.

york1.jpg

york2.jpg

It also means that in a few weeks, the Rose of England pub (one of Watson Fothergill's finest) will no longer be overshadowed by the concrete monstrosity.

roseofengland.jpg

Funnily enough, they've been posting pictures on RCTS of the demolition of Victoria station.

Also on that site there are some earlier pictures showing the imposing building of the Nottingham Brewery - which I believe is the site of York House.

I remember going to York House many years ago when Radio Nottingham had 'open days'.

I thought it was a crap building then.

Typical of the kind of rubbish they used to 'throw' up in the late 60's / 70's when they thought this kind of development was modern and bright.

These things looked awful only a few years after being built.

Vic station on the other hand took some dismantling because of the quality of it's construction - even after 60 years !

While we are in the area, if you stand in the middle of Mansfield Road looking south, you see this.

masnf.jpg

Previously you would have seen this. Wesleyan Chapel, only demolished in the early 1970s, but I don't remember it. You can see York House in the background.

chap.jpg

• Upvote 4

I don't remember the Wesleyan Chapel either but I've seen pictures of trolleybuses passing by it and often wondered where it was.

I only ever thought 'somewhere on Mansfield Road', now I know!

Presumably the road to the left is Woodborough Road? When the first Victoria Bus Station opened, any buses heading westwards had to do quite a long circuit of Cairns Street, left, Huntingdon Street, left, Woodborough Road, left again Mansfield Road before they were pointing in the right direction!

The road to the left would be Huntingdon St, I've not been in that location for many many years and didn't know that the church had gone! Huntingdon St looks totally different now, without Cliff`s before and after shots I wouldn't have had a clue.

On the "today" image, the road going down the left of the new building is York Street. The road coming in from the left (which you can't actually see) is the very bottom end of Woodborough Road.

Likewise on the chapel photo, the road going off to the left is the same bottom end of Woodborough Road. You can't see Huntingdon Street on either of them. It would be further over to the left. Like this http://binged.it/1rzeoJN

The mention of Glasshouse Street reminds me of an incident during 'rag week', many years ago. Glasshouse Street, then the situation of a clinic for treating certain ailments, (is it still?), was being dug up for some reason. The the police were told it was being dug up by students in disguise, while the road diggers were told they were to be raided by students disguised as police. I never heard what the outcome was.

That sounds funny!

I used to look forward to Nottingham students rag week because they use to publish a magazine full of jokes.

Was is called King Kong ?

Anyway, it used to be very funny.

All these old pictures of the city make it seem as though it was full of churches, chapels and public houses.

On some of the main streets it looks as though there was a public house every 3 or 4 buildings !

That pub shown in #4 looks beautiful. I never noticed it before.

The kind of pub that was a local landmark.

Sad that in other places they are tearing these things down. They were'nt just drinking houses, they were places of social interaction.

I wonder what they are going to replace York House with....... another vertical slum ?

Re #14, thanks for placing me in the right location Cliff, how embarrassing to have forgotten where on Mansfield Rd the church was, but obviously a case after so many years of absence making the mind grow weaker!!

I remember one of the first tenants in York House was the Irish American Insurance Company, short lived and notorious in the same mould as Vehicle and General but on a smaller scale. I can recall the Interview between David Frost and Emil Savundra back in 1967 (?) following the V & G collapse,

My wife was shocked when I showed her the demolition pictures of York House . One of her first jobs was with Irish American Insurance Co in that building .

Some maps mark it as a continuation of Bluecoat Street which is on the other side of Mansfield Road; but many maps don't give that short stretch any particular name. It could be a continuation of Woodborough Rd or Bluecoat St.

This is how Mr Google (who is not perfect) sees it. https://goo.gl/maps/8GvF2

And I've just discovered that until the early 20th century, Huntingdon Street only applied to the short stretch of road from its junction with Mansfield Rd down to Woodborough Road; from Woodborough Road south it was called Windsor Street.