• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While we are in the area, if you stand in the middle of Mansfield Road looking south, you see this. Previously you would have seen this. Wesleyan Chapel, only demolished in the early 1970s, but I d

Three things which haven't been seen from this angle for a long while. The Rose of England pub from the rear (on the left); the old buildings on Mansfield Road with nothing to block the view; and the

What I find amazing is how quickly the grass and trees are growing in front of the tunnel entrance. #45. Makes you wonder how quickly Sherwood Forest would take hold again if we were all gone for a f

Hi Clifton @ 51. That picture of The Rose is special with the sky all around it, tried times to catch The Rose just right , I'll be down there to try again, BUT what will appear as a background next? The hangar didn't work, the little redbrick station was better but no glamour, what are the "investors" planning now?

was radio nottingham at york house ? and is it true that if Dennis McCarthy wanted no 2s he would play the house of the rising sun as it lasted ages

Yes. Radio Nottingham was in York House.

I went to a couple of the 'open days'.

Remember Don Truscott, Eddie Gray, Dozy Dave Wilkinson ?

Denis McCarthy was held in high regard at Radio Nottingham. His show was actually networked to other BBC Midlands radio stations as well.

I don't know about playing long records. I think music shows were a rarity on Radio Nottingham as there were still 'needletime' restrictions at that time. It seemed to be mostly speech.

Apparently Denis McCarthy was taken ill on air in January '96. Even though he insisted on finishing his programme, he died later that day.

VHF was still a novelty in the 60's.

Where I lived in Bramcote I could also get Radio Leicester and Radio Derby quite well.

Some of their programmes on Sundays were quite good.

I went to York House in the autumn of 1967 as a student at what was then Trent Polytechnic.

I recall that we had at least three floors of the building.

Yes it was a basic 60s building with no frills but we had a good view of the railway for the first few months.

Our main building was The Newton Building and we did a lot of visits to the public library next door.

On many days we went to The Mayfair Chinese restaurant on Mansfield Road where you could get a three course lunch for less than 4 shillings. I can remember one bloke walking out because his mushroom fried rice didn't contain a mushroom.

One day we went to the Yorker pub and Jet Harris formerly of the Shadows was downing a few pints. Shame he became an alcoholic and died of this illness.

We went on a geology field course in 1968 and I did not possess and walking boots. I remember purchasing a stiff leather pair from the Army and Navy Surplus Store nearby. Remember them? They had a hell of a lot of surplus! Nothing lightweight and very little waterproof apart from oilskins !

Jay c's juke box was a great rock n roll show( the cocked hat at jacksdale) saturday mornings. Trevor Dan and his nightly rock show. Back a yard on Friday night and who can forget £ 10 shopping spree on Arnold market??

• 2 weeks later...

Three things which haven't been seen from this angle for a long while.

The Rose of England pub from the rear (on the left); the old buildings on Mansfield Road with nothing to block the view; and the retaining wall from Victoria Station.

roseof.jpg

• Upvote 4

Just as a matter of interest, does anybody know what they're going to replace York House with ?

Another office block ?

Another concrete monstrocity ?

This would be a great opportunity for Notts Council to be adventurous and come up with something that complements the Rose of England. A building that actually looks nice.

I'm not holding my breath though.

Cliff: and Pianoman etc... Joking apart that picture by Cliff is to me quite an emotional one. My first 15 years of my life viewed that scene from the 'other' side. My bedroom faced York house - roebuck - the yorker and jolleys taxis. A bit sad on reflection- but am very grateful!!

• 7 months later...

You can now see daylight all around the Rose of England. These days no-one would dare demolish a Fothergill building.

rose_1.jpg

And from Huntingdon Street, you can see York House before and after.

york.jpg

Thanks for posting this - the view brought back memories for me. I remember sitting in the window of my dad's office in the school holidays. It was on one of the upper floors of York House when he worked at Trent Poly. It was around about the time that the station was being demolished, and I remember looking down into the great hole in the ground it left before the car park was built.

There's nothing there above the Rose of England now - just flattened. Walked past it on Wednesday night and thought how much better it looks now than it has done for years!