Just looked at my 1860 Drakes directory & Woodborough Road went through to Mansfield Road

The bit of Mansfield Road from Charlotte Street/Shakespeare Street to Woodborough Road was called Melbourne Street till about 1895.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While we are in the area, if you stand in the middle of Mansfield Road looking south, you see this. Previously you would have seen this. Wesleyan Chapel, only demolished in the early 1970s, but I d

Three things which haven't been seen from this angle for a long while. The Rose of England pub from the rear (on the left); the old buildings on Mansfield Road with nothing to block the view; and the

What I find amazing is how quickly the grass and trees are growing in front of the tunnel entrance. #45. Makes you wonder how quickly Sherwood Forest would take hold again if we were all gone for a f

#19 In one of the books of pics of old Nottingham, it was described as the Swedenborgian Church

I remember the chapel well maybe because I started work for EMGB corner of Woodborough Rd in Jan 1962. Sure it wasn't Wesleyan then though it was some other denomination.

Seems to have been multi-named. On Old Maps (ie Ordnance Survey) in the 1880s it was called Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan).

method.jpg

With a seating capacity of 852. Those were the days when everybody went to church because there was nothing on the telly.

• Upvote 1

The Methodist Church was until 1932 quite fragmented when the three main factions joined together as the Methodist Church.

The three churches that joined were the Wesleyan, the Primitive Methodists and the United Methodist Church. The United M C was is self a joining up of The Methodist New Connexion and the Bible Christians.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's still going.

You can now see the Newton Building from Huntingdon Street - first time for over 50 years.

york2_1.jpg

And for the first time in over 50 years you can see the Council House from the junction of Woodborough Road / Huntingdon St.

york3.jpg

And Watson Fothergill's Rose of England isn't looking quite so over-shadowed.

york1_1.jpg

I heard that as York House was built on the site of the old Nottingham Brewery they had to take care with heavy plant machinery on site during demolition due to the basement and cave network of the old brewery being close to the surface. There is also an old tale of a tunnel that ran from the brewery directly to the Victoria Station site for convenient freight transfer onto the railway network.

Its strange to think that the site of York House will soon be the site for the third bus station at the Victoria Shopping Center, i can remember the original bus station its conversion into the first extension of the Victoria Shopping Center and its replacement with the present day bus station.

Strange how things are so quickly changing in Nottingham City Center as we try to rectify mistakes from the 1960s and 1970s lets hope we make a better job of it this time round in the new millennium.

I can remember the hanger bus station, I used to catch the bus to Scarborough there back in the 1980's............

I remember the Viccy bus station well. We lived in Selston for a couple of years in the seventies, me and the missus trundled to work in the city on the bus every day because it was quite easy. But the station was a horrible place. Even though it was new, it was always mucky, very crowded and full of diesel fumes.

Here is an off topic but interesting question, on the approach to the old Victoria Bus Station there was a tiled wall mural of a steam train you passed before you reached the entrance to the bus station at the site of the travel center. Can anyone remember if this mural was destroyed during the first extension and alterations to the Victoria Shopping Center, if it was buried behind new construction or if it has recently been destroyed by the latest round of building work on the Victoria Shopping Center expansion and refurbishment work.

As i cannot seem to find any pictures of it online can somebody confirm that this mural did exist and does anyone know off or possess a photo of the mural?

Lived opposite York House for14yrs behind len barnes the butcher. Jolleys taxi at the side of Yorker pub. Other side of York house SVEN books, the rude shop- moved to Goldsmith St. The Robuck pub. All Design Centre and Radio Nottm staff drank in the best side of Peacock pub. You pushed a bell to re-order drinks, miserable Morris behind bar

Here is an off topic but interesting question, on the approach to the old Victoria Bus Station there was a tiled wall mural of a steam train you passed before you reached the entrance to the bus station at the site of the travel center. Can anyone remember if this mural was destroyed during the first extension and alterations to the Victoria Shopping Center, if it was buried behind new construction or if it has recently been destroyed by the latest round of building work on the Victoria Shopping Center expansion and refurbishment work.

As i cannot seem to find any pictures of it online can somebody confirm that this mural did exist and does anyone know off or possess a photo of the mural?

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/n/nottingham_victoria/index82.shtml

Is this the one?

All Design Centre and Radio Nottm staff drank in the best side of Peacock pub. You pushed a bell to re-order drinks

I remember there were scenes in that pub in the 1990-ish TV series 'Resnick' about a Nottingham detective, played by Tom Wilkinson.

What I find amazing is how quickly the grass and trees are growing in front of the tunnel entrance. #45. Makes you wonder how quickly Sherwood Forest would take hold again if we were all gone for a few years?

• Upvote 2

No, I seem to remember what Kendaldrac was referring to. When entering the bus station from inside Victoria centre, in the passage on the left-hand wall was a large tiled picture of a train.

The tiling will be long gone. I can't exactly place where that would be nowadays, but somewhere within the middle of the car-park, judging by the fact the buses used to exit on Cairns St, by the railway void as in Dave48's picture.

• 1 month later...

Yes it will soon be time for the bus station to move around once more still remember the first bus station in its vast hangar layout.