Not been up Mansfield Road for a few weeks what's happening on the site?

Everything is demolished and boards around the site, but nothing happening inside. This was it a few weeks ago; the empty space is where York House was.

york%20house.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While we are in the area, if you stand in the middle of Mansfield Road looking south, you see this. Previously you would have seen this. Wesleyan Chapel, only demolished in the early 1970s, but I d

Three things which haven't been seen from this angle for a long while. The Rose of England pub from the rear (on the left); the old buildings on Mansfield Road with nothing to block the view; and the

What I find amazing is how quickly the grass and trees are growing in front of the tunnel entrance. #45. Makes you wonder how quickly Sherwood Forest would take hold again if we were all gone for a f

Nottingham has changed quite a lot but I liked the pic of the Weslyan church , it brought back memories from my childhood. My brother and I went to sunday school there. Had pennies for the collection and would go around the corner to a little shop and spend it on sweets. Naughty. But we were kids

Like Graham - #57 - and SMort - #72 - I was at Trent Poly and during 1967 had to attend lectures in York House. Even then, within a year or two of its completion, it was a shit hole, and its loss will come as a welcome relief. Its only redeeming feature was that it overlooked what remained of Victoria station.

It's ironic that York House has had an economic life of only 50 odd years, yet the Fothergill building is still going strong after 125 years. Are there any other 1960s Nottingham buildngs which anyone would like to nominate for demolition?

I did a bit of fencing while I was there. One of my fellow students was pretty keen, and persuaded one or two of us to go along. Regret to say that I didn't keep it up. In fact, I don't think I got beyond the first two or three sessions!

Went back for a reunion in October 2012, and after the shock of the altered appearances, the years dropped away and it was as if they had never elapsed: My fellow students were exactly the arseholes I remembered them as! Well, some of them, anyway. :glare:

Cliff? In the 80's roughly where those steps are was a "fun"pub..a very pale blue and cream..can't remember its name,any thoughts?..Ian.

The steps might coincide with this place. York House is the big slab in the background. PTP say this photo is from the 80s, but by the 90s it was called "Bobby Brown's Cafe". (BBC....who were in York House).

bobby%20browns.jpg

And I've just remembered that it was previously called The Roebuck, coincidence for Nottstalgians.

roebuck%20mans%20rd.jpg

Thanks Cliff,The Empire- never actually went in..full of smoothies if I recall. Further down on the same side,the Mansfield Arms has had many names over the years,including Blueberries.In the 80's it was called Ledgers and Widows was on ITV,(wives of bank robbers took up the mantle of their previous)and were looking for some valuable ledgers...someone sprayed 'HARRYS' ledgers on the sign.

Re #86, Was it the Goldsmith Tavern?

• 3 weeks later...

I worked and studied in York House in the mid-2000s for a few years and would concur with those that state it was a dump. One of the things I remember was the asbestos walls. During an induction day we were advised not to mount things on the walls as withdrawing drawing pins could create asbestos dust.

There were two lifts which were inadequate at class times with often a stream of staff and students queuing practically out of the door to travel up umpteen flights of stairs. It was usually quicker to walk up seven storeys.

Since demolition time a friend was taken around the site and below ground there are still vestiges of the Nottingham Brewery. The brewery had tunnels which led directly to Victoria Station where they took the barrels out to trackside for loading, apparently.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...