Just after WW2 we were left with a lot of fire ponds. The best known were the two in slab square. I remember seeing sticklebacks through the iron mesh grille. Can't remember when the ponds were removed but remember that the underground toilets were built where the pond furthest away from the lions was sited.

There were also one or two fire ponds on the Forest. When one was demolished it left a large pool of water that teamed with sticklebacks.

I remember the ponds in the Market Square, with their mesh grilles - the No.22 bus terminus was there in those days. There was a large water tank on Amesbury Circus, where they later built the children's play area. It was not uncommon just after the war to see E W S in large letters painted on walls, denoting an Emergency Water Supply. The Bar Lane wall of the Aspley Cinema was so adorned.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

There was another at Arnold Road, Bestwood Est. In the area bounded by Gainsford Crescent and Arnold Rd., was a field, later became the site of High Pavement School and now housing I believe. Iron railings along southern edge of site with gate at S.W. corner. Lovely row of oak trees along it in 1945. The water tank was just inside the iron gates. Built above ground, of steel panels bolted together. Couldn`t see inside as it was maybe 6`/7`/8` high, but the top protection was of rope in a square mesh which hung partly over the sides.

• Upvote 1