Whitemoor School '53 new from 'Britain from Above

New pictures from the 'Britain from Above site.Saxbys chimneys in the foreground and a very clear shot of the 'Twitchell' to their right

rtq92p.jpg

Quite clear enlargement of the playground and the brick bomb shelters around the edge.

(Wonder if I'm one of the kids on there?)

141qz4g.jpg

My first school - from January to July 1954, when we moved to Sawley. In the middle is Hayling Drive from High Street to Bracknell Crescent which ran right round the school. Newport Drive on the far side, leading to Western Boulevard along the top edge. And on the lower right is the top end of Aslockton Drive (prefabs) where we lived. Ours was, no.11, two to the right of the one whose roof is in the bottom right hand corner. It had never occurred to me before how near the school actually was. It seemed a long drag on a cold frosty morning, all the way down Aslockton, along Nuthall Road, up High Street and along Hayling Drive.

• 4 years later...

I went to Whitemoor Junior School and remember the nursery where we slept on collapsible beds to have our daily nap. I remember Ray Settle who used to amuse us all by swearing under his breath and making rude noises. We all ended up giggling and were told off by the teacher. What a lovely school.

I lived for a time at Luton Close off Aslockton Drive. I remember, Tony Smith, Josie Ives, the Boot sisters, Wendy, Janet and Margaret and Alan Black.

Nuthall Road was very busy specially at 'rush hour' when all the workers were returning home. I used to visit the library at the Melbourne Road  junction regularly with its green rubbery flooring and quiet relaxing atmosphere reading Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn adventures.

No barred windows and main doors in those days. The streets were clean and the shops were busy and thriving with wide spacious pavements to move freely along.   

A few older men WW1 vintage who used to go to sleep in the newspaper reading room. The librarian would come in and ask them to leave. Most of these old veterans were lodgers' with no homes of their own .

The old terraced mining houses on High Street later Basford Road had outside toilets and no bathrooms.   I look at the area on google earth and find it looks very run down the old shops I knew look depressingly awful.

Another once nicer part of Nottingham sadly gone.  

• Like 3