Back in 1967 we applied for assisted passage to Oz. We had all the interviews, filled in all the forms, proved our qualifications, took our 2 kids to the immigration officer to show him they were white! and finally we were accepted. Once we had the acceptance letter and date we began selling furniture and bought packing cases. Just as we were about to put our house on the market we received another letter withdrawing the offer. Reason given was that I would not be able to get medical insurance due to a history of detached retinas. We were totally gutted. We considered paying our own way but it would have been too risky with 2 and 4 y/o children and no insurance. Several of our friends had already gone over and were doing OK. Some years later we promised ourselves that we would visit our old friends and eventually we did 4 years ago. Perth, Adelaide, Canberra and Sydney. They had all succeeded.

• Upvote 3

Sad to hear that you and yours missed out on coming to Australia, PeverilPeril.

But, as my late Gran used to say, everything works out for the best and at least you can visit downunder....

As to your qualifications to emigrate....I reckon Bob Menzies must be going berserk and spinning in his grave, when he sees what happened to his policies... slywink

• Upvote 1

In a similar vein to Trevor S's Gran, if things don't go as I wish I usually assume that there is a good reason and better things are waiting for me.

I am sure that Australia's Loss was our gain Peverilperil thumbsup

• Upvote 2

When I emigrated they had me jumping hoops left right and center ! being an electrical tradesman I had to furnish so much info and attend several interviews in Manchester it was a joke !

That plus all medicals of my wife and I and kids all paid for privately by me. Then when accepted we had 6 months to sell up and go.

Nowadays it seems even speaking English is not really a requirement, especially for some of the working visas they issue. And some of these so called refugees walk in and get full government handouts, housing and then bring in 30 more of their family putting more strain on the system.

Sorry, enough of my whinge, but it's a sore point still even after 26 years ! but in the end I feel it was all worth it especially when I look at my kids and grand kids now.

As said what will be will be, and mere mortals like us have very little input on what is done by stupid governments. We seem to follow England's silly path of throwing open the doors to anyone and everyone, but at least we have a bit more room than you guys in the UK.

• Upvote 4

#2 We have no regrets whatsoever Trev. We did OK in our own little ways here in the UK. We would have done OK in Oz too, with our energy and 'can do' attitude.

#4 Judging by how my two nephews are doing in Sydney, Oz is still a land of opportunity compared with the UK.

If I was a young man again I would go.

#2 We have no regrets whatsoever Trev. We did OK in our own little ways here in the UK. We would have done OK in Oz too, with our energy and 'can do' attitude.

#4 Judging by how my two nephews are doing in Sydney, Oz is still a land of opportunity compared with the UK.

If I was a young man again I would go.

My son moved to Oz three years ago to a very good job...his wife was homesick on finding she was pregnant and they have now moved back..But with a heck of a wedge in his bank which he has used back here to open a city center shop in Nottingham. Would never have happened if they had not taking the opportunity,even for such a short period.

• Upvote 2

Oz is still a land of opportunity especially in the mining game, one of my son in laws is a painter and decorator by trade but works as a surveyors assistant, (trades assistant) he gets paid around $3000 a week (1600 quid approx) on 2 year contract, fly in fly out, 21 days on 14 off, and guess what, they get paid when off too !

They work 12 hour shifts mind you and in sometimes 45C temps. But the mining camp has full sports and swimming pool facilities on site and they can eat like kings while in camp, all found included. They even get two cans of their preferred beer per day.

I made application around 1978, at that time if you wanted in, you had to have a job offer, I had all the points required but somehow I had to find a job... I subscribed to the Melbourne Age and the Sydney Herald to scour the want ads.

I even got photo copies of the telephone books for both cities with electriacl companies listings, God only knows how many applications I posted off, but it must have been a dozen a day for many months.

I received many turn downs, but one day I got a letter offering me a job as an Electrical fitter with Joy Manufacturing in Sydney. I had to go to the Consualate in Edinborough for an interview with the migration officer up there, he looked at my application and job offer and turned me down.... He said I had to have a job offer in either Tasmania or country areas of Victoria.

Back to looking for job openings in those two states. I came up with an offer for a mine electrician at Renison Bell's tin mine at Renison Bell Tassie.

Second interview, he said the good news is I've been accepted for a migrant visa, bad news was the area where I was going was one of the wettest places in Oz..

I was given the address of a Doctor in Middlesbrough and a radiographer they used for medicals, as soon as they received a favorable X-ray and medical report, they would notify me to send my passport for stamping.

All finalised within a few weeks, it was now almost July, so went to see my engineer to see if I could just work a weeks notice, he agreed, I packed everything I wanted to keep, sold what I didn't need, transferred my bank account...Jeeze it was a hectic time.

Spent my last two weeks at my parents in Nottm, book my flight, opened a bank account with an Oz bank to be serviced by a bank in Zeehan, they gave me an introductory letter..Did some shopping for some new clothes and by the beginning of August, I was on my way to a new adventure..

I never looked back, best decision I ever made.

• Upvote 1

Great to see the good outcomes of those choosing to coming to Australia.

However, for every success, it seemed that there was a disaster in the early days of the assisted passage and the stories abounded of families that returned home, thoroughly disillusioned with life down under.

Probably giving rise to the term 'Whinging Pom' - the majority of unhappy migrants were those housed in the migrant camps; a barebones, Butlin style 'internment' style of living that was not what some people had envisioned in the land of milk and honey.

Coupled with the heat, the flies and a strange, harsh land of different speech, manners and customs; it sadly deterred quite a few from forging a new life.

Those that got out and helped themselves or, had relatives and accommodation sorted on arrival fared a lot better. It is just sad that those Brits that sold up everything to start a new life down here could not find what they had dreamt of or believed may be waiting for them.

You have to respect those that chose to go back and it is hoped that everything turned out the best for them.

Some, having gone back, realised their folly and returned at their own expense!

Nowadays, some so-called immigrants to this country get fed, housed, paid, provided with most things you and I have had to work for and still complain....but I will not go down that path because this post will be removed..............

• Upvote 5

My cousin and his family were ten quid tourists, their two boys are grown up now with families of their own, my cousin has a small vineyard and winery in East Gippsland, Victoria.

• Upvote 1