This was our regular haunt in the late 60s . Never knew any of that history , though I do remember the boat shaped bar .

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Brothels-boats-History-Mapperley-pub-uncovered/story-24104942-detail/story.html

We used to nickname the landlord in the 60s/70s Nasser ! He reminded us of the Egyptian president of the time . Forgotten his real name .

He did have a good way with the regulars though and always gave the ladies small presents , such as hankies or chocs at Christmas . My wifes grandma and her aunts were regulars there .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Re # 5, ............ David, that landlord wasn't there when I frequented the Punch Bowl during the 70's. The landlord I remember was Stan Culley, a rotund grey-haired character, a good landlord I seem to remember. There was a big spending clientele in those days, without mentioning any names they were all well known Nottingham businessmen of the era, a lot of alcohol was consumed.

• Upvote 1

Think a lot from the nearby car auctions used to use it too Lizzie . The name Stan seems to ring a bell and he was a big chap !

• Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...

I frequented the Punchbowl in the 70s usually on a Saturday lunchtime when there was a meeting up of several members of several local jazz bands. They didn't play or anything, it was just a friendly get together.

The thing that sticks in my mind particularly is that they did very good toasted sandwiches. One day I was quietly having a roast beef toastie when a woman sitting at the next table leaned over to me and said 'You don't want that do you' and proceeded to remove the filling from my sandwich and feed it to her dog sitting on her knee. I was speechless but I got my own back - I had smothered the beef with horseradish. In case you don't know, dogs don't generally like horseradish so, after a few seconds, said woman was covered in dogs vomit. Whoever was working behind the bar found the whole thing hilarious and I was given a free sandwich to make up for my loss and for providing a good laugh to all the punters.

I have often thought back to that occasion and wondered why the canine instinct of sniffing before eating didn't come into action.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

HISTORY.of the PUNCHBOWL:  After WW11. My father Arthur Johnson and his brothers purchased the property now known as The Punchbowl from the Defence department. They obtained a liqueur license and converted the building into a private club.   The building was a supply depot during the war. My father turned the outside into lovely gardens. I have a photo of my father gardening with a fountain and the out building behind. This building was still in existence when I was last in England some years ago. The garden is now a car park.   Further information can be obtained from s.a.elliott-johnson@outlook.com

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Welcome Susan.

It's interesting to hear from someone with knowledge of the history of the site. The place is still there today and still operating as a pub.

Unfortunately, the link which DAVIDW started this thread is no longer operating, so we can't see the Evening Post item.

I got drunk in there one night and proposed to my first wife...wish I'd stuck to lemonade that night. Couldn't back out as half the pub congratulated me and bought me a drink....'Sigh!!'

• Upvote 2

This must have been the property when advertised for sale in 1945 when known as Carnarvon House . Porchester Rd then known as Thorneywood Rd .

( in a subsequent edition dated 13fh Dec 1945 the selling price was quoted as  £1200 )

CARNARVON HOUSE," DAISY ROAD.
OFF THORNEY WOOD ROAD
MAPPERLEY.
FREEHOLD DETACHED RESIDENCE
(ON
TWO FLOORS) WITH DOUBLE GARAGE AND GARDEN.
POSSESSION ON COMPLETION.
. AND
Messers Place and Kirk PFA. will offer for SALE bý AuCTION at their Estate Sale Rooms, Norfolk-place. Parliament-street. Nottingham on WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 12th, 1945. a 3 o'clock in the afternoon, subject to Conditions of Sale to Be  then declared.

FREEHOLD DETACHED RESIDENCE
(on TWO Floors), standing its own
PLEASURE GROUNDS, with DOUBLE GARAGE, known as “Carnarvon House,

Situate at the Junction of Thorneywood-vroad and Daisy-road. Mapperley.

The Accommodation comprises: Covered outer porch, med entrance hall, cupboard under stairs, two reception-rooms, each with square bays and french windows, kitchen with modern range, scullery fitted range, sink (hot and cold) and copper, pantry. An easy staircase leads to spacious landing, of which are four bedrooms, backroom vith balcony, combined bathroom and toilet.
Electriclty and Gas installed.

OUTSIDE Lawns at the front , and side of the House, with flower and shrubbery borders, Kitchen Garden, blue brick paved Yard, Coalhouse,
BRICK.BUILT GARAGE (for two cars). with double door entrance and direct drive in from the road

VACANT POSSESSION ON COMPLETION.
The Property has a frontage of about 114ft to Thorneywood.10ed and about 165ft. to Daisy.road.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I used to have lunch there occasionally back in the 70’s. It was the watering hole of the car dealers who came up from the nearby Nottingham Car Auctions.

Porchester pub lad me... Sometimes called in at the punch bowl it was known as a "coppers" pub

Got stood up in the Porchester..one night back in about 64............bad night all round......left me Blue cord  jacket as well......loved that jacket.......always wore it with collar turned up....slim Jim Tie.....light blue Jeans....Black Cuban healed treads......and white socks...............WHAT do ya mean..no wonder she stood you up?...........:wacko:

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

white socks...............

White socks??????? :laughing:

• Like 1

They were in fashion back in 1964..Ube.......those were the days my friend.....

No you wouldn't have Jill............i'd stopped wearing the ''Liberty Bodice''

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Punch Bowl, Porchester Road

Remember the "Punch Bowl"  being built we lived top end of St Ann's and we would walk up The Wells Road, on the right there were gardens and a path that went from the Wells Rd up to the front door of the Punch Bowl. It was a nice walk in summer but after a few drinks going back was not easy.

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

No you wouldn't have Jill............i'd stopped wearing the ''Liberty Bodice''

sorry for not turning up, I did hear that you had left your "Liberty Bodice " of this was the reason j did not turn up as you would have been very cold with out your LB and I would not have a clue how to have got you warm Ben.

xxxxxxxxxx

• Like 1