To help anyone sort out the relative positions of Basford / Bagthorpe and the hospitals........... Basford Isolation Hospital is the one on the far left.

bag.jpg

The area called Bagthorpe Hospital is now housing; and Bagthorpe Workhouse is now City Hospital.

And an amazing number of railway lines in such a small area.

• 3 months later...

#13.........The hospital on Hucknall rd as per the map,i grew up on Andover rd (shown) and the hospital we knew as Basford sanitorium' it was part of my paper round,i used to throw the papers thru open windows,it was a TB hospital and my mother worked there.

• 6 months later...

Flippin' 'eck Benj! More coincidences by the minute... My Mum worked at that place. She was a cook in the kitchens. I remember going to some works Christmas 'Do' there around 1964.

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

Just switched to this thread as per clff-ton, and realised ive repeated mesen (age init) and yes Col. more coincidences your Mam and mine working there,and as regards 1964 do,i was probably there as well,...........used to take mam to her firms do's,as Dad was no Dancer........in 1964 i was 19 and mam was 38,folk thought she'd got a Toy-boy..............lol.

Used to lust after a girl who lived in Basford Hospital in the 60s. Linda Bradley. I assume her parents had a live in job there. Used to be able to get into the grounds from the railway embankment, via Halfpenny bridge. Once fell out of a big tree checking out a bird's nest; must have been 15 foot drop, but just got up and walked away.

• 3 weeks later...

The isolation hospital was at the top ish of Hucknall road near the Arnold Rd junction now a small housing estate , just pass Orgill Rd or Drive , and was latterly called Heathfield hospital and must have closed very early 1980s x

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I am trying to identify Basford Sanatorium as it was on the 1901 census when my gt gt aunt was matron there. Next door was Tinkers House Farm and nearby road was Arnold Road. Nottingham Archives has records of Basford Isolation Hospital but when I looked at the records I found this was not the same as Basford Sanatorium. There was an entry for the Isolation Hospital saying a nurse had left to go to a post at Basford Sanatorium. After looking at maps of 1901, 1980 and present day I deduce the Basford Sanatorium is the one on the left as you go up Hucknall Road and it subsequently became a hospital for the elderly and is no longer there. It was only a small hospital, the census shows one matron, one sister, 2 sick nurses and a probationer nurse, plus 4 domestic staff and 15 patients. I believe the Isolation Hospital was much bigger and was the one that became Heathfield Hospital and was on the right hand side of Hucknall Road close to the present day City Hospital. Is it possible the one you are calling the Isolation Hospital is in fact the Basford Sanatorium? In which case, is the photo in this thread one of the sanatorium? I hope so as this is the one where my relative worked 1899 to 1901. Thanks for any clarification.

Welcome to Nottstalgia caz50

This map should hopefully answer your question about Basford Sanatorium. This is the 1890s and Tinker House Farm is marked south of the Infectious Diseases Hospital. At this time it's the only hospital in the area. The Farm has gone by the early 1900s, and then the hospitals start to expand and change their names.

tinker1_zpsqw2pn7uj.jpg

Yes Heathfield hospital -I worked there for a couple of months on ward 8 the baby unit during my training. The ward sister used to run you ragid but she taught you lots. She used to send you for YOUR TEN MINUTE break and she meant it - it took you at least 3 to get to the canteen!!!!

Best wishes

Peter

http://www.nottinghamhospitalshistory.co.uk/page147.html

Very little remains today of the buildings that once constituted the Bagthorpe Isolation Hospital. A hospital that was once separated by a boundary fence and a row of elm trees has now become swallowed up by the building and clinical developments of its one time neighbour, the Nottingham City Hospital. The buildings still standing now have completely different roles from what they were originally designed and built for.
The last time the buildings had any clinical use was for a sort period of time during the early 1990’s after the closure of Basford Hospital, a small Health Care of the Elderly Hospital that was located about half-a-mile up the Hucknall Road from the City Hospital, and was itself a former sanatorium.
It was in 1976 that the former Isolation Hospital grounds saw the first of many developments. This came with the opening in that year of the Sandfield Children’s Unit. A unit that remains still to this day, albeit with a change of role and is now referred to as the ‘Child Development Centre.’
With the ending of the remaining former isolation buildings clinical role in the early 1990’s came the building of the City Hospital’s new Maternity Unit and Patient’s Hotel, together with the building of a Day Surgery Unit, of which both were opened in 1994.

That's an interesting link from Enigma, but I think it might still add to the confusion of names.

The first photo there is described as The Maternity Unit: Opened in 1994 on the site of the former Bagthorpe Isolation Hospital, later known as Heathfield Hospital

That Maternity Unit is near "Infirmary" on this map. However, the possible "Isolation" Hospital near Tinkers House Farm is the one on the far left of the map.

bag.jpg

nottyash #25

My children were born at the city/basford hospital,not in the new building as it was the 70s,as I recall it was an old building to the right as you entered the grounds.Maybe Cliffton has a photo?