If you look at the link in Enigma's post #23 and scroll down a bit, there are photos of most of the buildings near that entrance off Hucknall Road. I reckon one of those will show the old maternity unit.

Many thanks for the map. This is the 1901 O.S. 25 miles to inch map and shows Basford Sanatorium which is the hospital I am interested in and was definitely next to Tinkers House as seen on 1901 census. I wonder if people are confusing this with the other hospital labelled Bagthorpe Hospital on post no. 9 above which later became Heathfield Hospital. Ref. Nottshistory.org.uk/articles/mellorsarticles/mapperley4.htm written in 1914 states that The City Isolation Hospital and Sanatorium at Bagthorpe was built between 1889 and 1891 and opened in the latter year. The largest number of beds in occupation was 250 in 1899. There were 8 blocks. Cost of building £27,937. Back to the one I am researching - the same author on nottshistory.org.uk/articles/mellorsarticles/basford5.htm says The Rural District Sanatorium was built 1896 and cost £11,675. Had accom for 28 patients. This matches the 15 patients seen on the 1901 census. So there were definitely 2 hospitals on Hucknall Road at the turn of the century. I now wonder which hospital the photo on post no. 11 is. I am going to check the 1901 census for Bagthorpe Isolation Hospital and see how many patients are listed there just to be absolutely certain of the difference between the 2 institutions.

I finally have it sorted! Thanks to the 1901 census. On map in post no. 24 the one on the left labelled Hospl is the sanatorium and had 5 nurses, 4 servants and 15 patients. At the same time, 1901, the one in the centre labelled Bagthorpe Hospital was on the census called City Isolation Hospital and had 24 medical staff, 25 servants and other staff and 93 patients. Later on the sanatorium became a hospital for the elderly and was demolished, and city isolation hospital became Heathfield. What I am looking for is any photos of the small sanatorium. Can anyone identify which hospital the photo in post no 11 is? Thanks if you can.

Basford Hospital , Hucknall Road , Basford 1975

A ward built in 1942 during World War 2 for military personnel with suspected tuberculosis. It was used as a sanatorium till 1958. It re-opened as a geriatric unit in 1962,

Basford%20Hospital%20%20Hucknall%20Road%

• Upvote 2

And to add to Enigma's photos, this is an enlargement of an aerial view of the site in the 1930s. The main building faces onto Hucknall Road, and the smaller buildings are visible in the grounds at the rear.

C7yK2Ow.jpg

• Upvote 2

On looking at the above photo just noticed the Rat Hole tunnel bottom left...........always remember 1898 carved into the top arch,wonder what happened to it when it was filled in.........

Thanks, Cliff Ton. I have contacted Picture the Past now so fingers crossed. I will also check old newspapers as there may have been a plaque unveiling ceremony. Thanks, everyone, you have all been a great help.

• 3 years later...

Wow. I live on Sunrise Avenue in a House that was originally built on land sold from Tinker House farm. It's been great to see the old maps of the area and especially the pictures of our house 90 years ago(left of centre in above picture)  We were bordered the sanitorium and GNR. 

Cliff Ton

Many of the maps and perhaps some pictures (I did not know the place) from Nottstalgia can be found on Google image search without the evil empire banner.

They must have been indexed before interference.

Hope this helps

True... but you might be surprised how many of those which come up on a Google search originated from Nottstalgia....before the Photobucket purge !

I post a lot of various FB pages, and I usually leave a small ident on photos to see if they reappear. And I frequently see my past appearing before me.