Nottingham's The Place To Be At Christmas.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why bother with Nottingham City ? Bulwell can cater for all your shopping needs. A brace of pound shops, eight or nine charity shops to please the hard to please bargain hunter, Wilco's hardware stor

No Xmas feeling here in Nottingham at the moment.....the square is a disgrace , the Xmas market is primark outdoors, the shops are lack lustre , you are deffo not missing anything Nonna............

Went on the Tram into town last night on me lonesome,left the mrs and ex to catch up on the gossip,with a few bottles,............anyway went to the Albert Hall for a meal with some work friends,.....

We usually do a day in Nottingham, as it has a great festive atmosphere when the stalls are set up, A night at Lincoln Christmas market, as well as a couple of day trips there that sometimes end up with us in the Magna Carta at the top of Steep Hill as a start to our visit ie "Let's start at the top and work our way down" and nothing more gets done, except the walk back down the hill! And finally with my Mum and daughters, a girly day at Meadowhall. That tradition started when I used to take the Youth Club to Meadowhall for the day for Christmas shopping. Love the shopping and trying to find gifts that are more unusual. All followed up by a night of sherry, Christmas music and wrapping paper...no bah humbug for us :jumping:

And I can name a lot of places that are worse than Nottingham ;)

Yes, one in particular, Derby!

One thing I spotted here today was the return of the people who appear about now every year and take a short term lease on an empty shop for the sale of cheap perfume for the ladies and cheap aftershave for the men.

Most of the selling is done outside, just the stock is kept inside and all the usual sales spiel, 'Not only do you get this, but this and this and that and that as well' Now I've never bought any but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the most vile smelling muck imaginable.

It always makes me smile how, come Christmas Eve, the stock has gone, the shop is empty again and when the presents are opened on Christmas Day and you discover that what you bought, you wouldn't even use as disinfectant, the sellers won't be seen again for another twelve months!

I wouldn't say it was the best in the sense of variety, but everything is so close together in the city centre that it's so convenient to shop around. Needless to say I think most people do Christmas shopping online now to avoid the mad rush around Christmas time, it does take the fun out of it. I enjoy nothing more than buying presents for others :)

I always shop in Nottingham at Christmas. My Grandson and I make a night of it,

we are like big kids when we see the lights. first it's the Christmas market, then the shops,

finely we go for something nice to eat. George's is opening in at the end of this month

so it might be a big plate of fish and chips.

:jumping:

Talking of Christmas in Nottingham and the lights.......I read recently that the Christmas Tree in Slab Square was from rural England.

When I was a kid, the big thing with Christmas and the tree in the Square was that it was brought in from Norway or similar and was a gift to the people of Nottingham.

It was a big bugger and the lights and decorations were cause for a trip into the City - just to see it.

Has that little tradition of the Christmas Tree gift got lost in time as well?????????????????

Do they still have a Christmas market in Slab Square ?

A friend of mine used to rent a stall each December selling costume jewellery.

He did very well out of it.

It used to be all nice and festive. Mind you, I'm going back a few years.

I suppose now they have EU sponsored prancing reindeers in the 'storm drains' (!)

• Upvote 1

When my dear old mum passed in 2005, my wife and I returned back in the December to arrange the funeral etc.

We were pleasantly surprised to find the Christmas fair in the square, and have a photo of my wife in a borrowed trench coat (we don't have big warm coats anymore and it was bloody freezing), eating a German sausage (no jokes please we're Australian) in the square.

Then two large bags of the best pork scratching were devoured, gosh must stop these food memories !

Did I mention breakfasts at the Bank !

That was our xmas shopping Ha Ha.

We no longer xmas shop now, our grandkids all prefer the money to put to bigger things ! apart from the really little one's who still get the pressie's but usually bought by mum and paid for by Gran and Grandad. So much simpler nowadays.

• Upvote 2

Although I loath shopping, unless it's for myself, I think Nottingham has a reasonable mix of shops and markets etc.

Good chain stores, House of Fraser and Zara etc, and some fine independent outlets.

Some folk can't just flit off to London every weekend!

• Upvote 1

Even if you could afford it, you would be disappointed.

London is geared towards tourists.

The 'premier' shopping street (Oxford Street) is dreadful. Overcrowded, un-inviting and overly expensive. There are no bargains to be had and certainly nothing exclusive. (i.e. nothing that you couldn't already buy out of town or online).

There was a time when they had great Christmas lights and seasonal bargains (remember the lasers ?).

Then they had Christmas decorations sponsored by Birds Eye and Findus (!)

The whole crossrail disruption has churned up the centre - but it was naff even before that.

I live 9 miles from the centre, but I don't go in anymore because it's an expensive extravagance. The thought of a shopping trip doesn't even enter my head.

I went in earlier this year to show some Italian friends the sights but it was so costly. Things like The London Eye or Madame Tussauds are just ridiculous - and the shopping follows suit.

I'm pleased to hear that Notts still has a Christmas market.

I'd pay the tram fare to go in and see that !

• Upvote 1