Nottingham's The Place To Be At Christmas.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why bother with Nottingham City ? Bulwell can cater for all your shopping needs. A brace of pound shops, eight or nine charity shops to please the hard to please bargain hunter, Wilco's hardware stor

No Xmas feeling here in Nottingham at the moment.....the square is a disgrace , the Xmas market is primark outdoors, the shops are lack lustre , you are deffo not missing anything Nonna............

Went on the Tram into town last night on me lonesome,left the mrs and ex to catch up on the gossip,with a few bottles,............anyway went to the Albert Hall for a meal with some work friends,.....

• 1 year later...

Xmas in Nottm?,Hmm!..even when I lived there I found it limiting,and ventured to the Smoke and Sheffield etc..but on line shopping, if you have the wonga!!, can bring it to your door. We have a nice little man calling 'ere nearly every day..( not me!!).Record shops went on the decline, Hockley fell dull again,those hampers in the Body Shop went sky high pricey!!Now if it was Bulwell...

Like it or not, Nottingham has what we do not have here. My daughter said the other day that christmas in Italy wasn't the same as in Nottingham. The shopping centre near us has only a few bits of tinsel up. There isnt the atmospere. Ok we are in a small village and we have a tree but its an outline of led lights and we have a nativity scene locally made from wood, but you are lucky to feel christmas.

Why bother with Nottingham City ? Bulwell can cater for all your shopping needs.

A brace of pound shops, eight or nine charity shops to please the hard to please bargain hunter, Wilco's hardware store where you can purchase that surprise gardening implement for your wife that she wasn't expecting. Free car parks around the town too, if you don't mind taking a gamble on your car's security, it's best to leave the Porche at home & bring the Allegro instead.

After you've finished your shopping what about a relaxing (NOT) meal & a pint in Wetherspoon's ? A full range of microwave meals brought straight to your table, thats if you can find an empty table in the first place not stacked up with filthy crockery & pools of spilt drinks left by the previous eleven "guests" !

While your trying to eat your meal you will be able to listen to the local chat from the nearby tables & perhaps pick up a few new words to enhance your vocabulary. If not from the parents but from "The Children" who are brought here to use the place as a playground.

Christmas shopping ? Bah Humbug !

• Upvote 6

Your right Ian,must admit i'm a bit 'Rose-tinted[ about Bulwell,..........i keep telling Catfan get in early to see it at its best,......my ex and my stepson have been staying with us over this weekend......and i took him for breakfeast in Wethers this morning.....food was good,service great and only heard the F and C word about ten times LOL,............Stepson lives in a posh area down south.......and he thinks Bulwell and its people are great.

• Upvote 1

Spot on benjamin, Wetherspoon's is good for breakfast. The chav parents with thier screaming inbred kids are perhaps still in bed only retiring at 4am ! They usually surface about midday & venture down to Bulwell from Aspleh when the postman has delivered thier giro cheque for this week's benefits.

By this time young Kirsty-Jade & Oscar-Tarquin are ready for thier fill of highly processed, high fat junk food washed down with that awful coloured fizzy pop that has gone through the roof with soon to be banned E-Numbers.

When me & Mrs Catfan dine there for breakfast we are both fascinated by the early morning clientel. Thier capacity to drink large quantities of strong lager is a sight to behold indeed ! All before 9.15am I might add. Also the only time you will virtually gaurantee a clean table is first thing in the morning, woe betide you if you venture in there after 2pm !

Tomorrow looks a very interesting day, felling much better so me & Mrs Catfan are meeting my sister & niece in Arnold for a meal & a pint in the Wetherspoons in Arnold. ! We will see if they have Botulism infected tables there too !

I will report back here tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Benjamin, the early bird!! You are right,food is fresh,coffee smells and a glance at the papers!!

My sons think Bulwell is great too..though the wife quotes my beloved place rather disparagingly in the midst of a row!

Yippe!,Catfan is back!! Botulism.. Love it!

Went on the Tram into town last night on me lonesome,left the mrs and ex to catch up on the gossip,with a few bottles,............anyway went to the Albert Hall for a meal with some work friends,...........got in town an hour before meet up,was not impressed thought i'd havee a pint somewhere tried 3 pubs including an old haunt 'the Tap'n Tumbler'all ram jam full,.......so trapsed in the pouring rain finally going in the'Playhouse bar' for a pint of so called 'shippo's' yuk.

After the meal,trying to get home was a nightmare,........Taxi quoted me £30,so he was informed in good Bulwellian what he could do,and i got on the crowded Tram,and the 'Effing and Blinding' was quite delightful,.....got off the Tram with great relief then had to walk best part of 2 miles home,...so not the best of nights ive had in town,............dint even pull,finally got home to the mothers of most of my children,........and must admit they'd had a better night than me...........and had drunk far more than me,...... :angry2: ........... :)

• Upvote 4
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Probably the same daft bugger who will pay £6.00 for a hot Dog or £10.00 for a Yorkshire pudding wrap or £7.75 for a ride on the ferris wheel, all in Nottingham Christmas Market.

• Like 1

Yes OZ its about going rate for pubs in the area. 

Can I asked you all a question  ??

Would you like to work on Christmas day in pub especialy if you have family.

• Like 1

I have Mary, when I worked at the Blenheim, Snape Wood. Also, I worked every Christmas day when on the buses, both as a conductor then driver.

My last job at Chailey Heritage school, I was always on duty, on call and sometimes called out. Will that do?

• Like 1